New Kits-Regia Aeronautica

STORMO! Gallery updates and the latest News from the Model, Resin, Decal and PE Manufactures
Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

New Kits-Regia Aeronautica

Post by Dave Bayliss » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:07 am

Ciao tutti,
I was wondering, how many new model kits for Regia Aeronautica types have come out recently? This especially in 1/72nd scale, which I mostly model in. I think that a lot of 'new kits' are simply re-issues of previously available kits, either by that manufacturer or by another manufacturer that has been 'absorbed' by that manufacturer. Some new kits are in fact quite old and crude castings by firms that have gone out of existence, but the moulds have been acquired by another firm.
That being so, how many genuine new kits are coming out? I have bought quite a few kits of Regia Aeronautica types (and which are still waiting to be built), but there are still quite a few aircraft that I would like to model. There seems to be a lack of the aircraft types from Cant, especially the Z.1007bis and the Z501 and Z506 idrovolanti (that is in 1/72nd). I would have thought that Italeri, being an Italian make would have been leading in this, but I suppose new moulds are expensive and they have to sell kits internationally to make money. It would be interesting to know what aircraft types other people would like to see come out.
Cheers, Dave. :?
There's so much left to learn and no one left to fight.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Dave,
Here's a list of some recent releases in 1/72:

Sword: Re.2005, Re.2001
Special Hobby: G.55, G.56, Re.2000, Re.2003, Ro.57, C.200
Planet Models: Cansa FC.20
Italeri: Cr.42, C.202, C.205, S.79, S.82, Re.2000
LF Models: Aeronautica Lombarda A.R., Re.2005, F.4, F.6
RS Models: SAI.207
AML: G.50, C.200

in 1/48:
Italeri: Re.2002, C.200, Cr.42
Special Hobby: Ba.65, G.50, G.55, Ro.57, Br.20
Vince Tassone

Vincent Fiore
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Vincent Fiore » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:34 pm

OH, how I would like to get some new kits. Here is my want list.Cant 1007, Fiat G 12, RO 41, SM 74, Cant 1018, Fiat RS 14, SM 84, CA 310B Caproni 133s, caproni 111. Lets star a campaign to see what we can get produced. Send want list To this sight .

Vincent

emanuele
Comandante di Squadriglia

S81

Post by emanuele » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:36 am

Webmaster don't forget the new Italeri S81 kit ... is not ugual to the old Supermodel ...

BR

Emanuele

emanuele

Post by emanuele » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:47 am

Vincent ... what about the P108? CR25?
Italeri has in the catalog:
S79, S81 and S82 only missing the S84's box ... I hope will be released soon!!!

Emanuele

centauro
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by centauro » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 am

If they (Italeri) at least released a corrected Cant Z.1007bis - the similar way as they did it with the S.81 - however, it would probably require a new fuselage...
IS

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Well to answer Webmaster Vince Tassone, and be clear where I am at, here is a list of kits waiting to be built.
All these are either Italian aircraft or aircraft of other countries in Italian service.
Also these are all 1/72nd.
Academy; P39, Bf 109 G6, Fi 156. Airfix; Bf110c. AML; G50, C200. AZ; Ba 65 A80. Azur; Ro 37bis. Eduard; SPAD XIII. Flying Machines; C200. Italeri; Ef2000, SM81, CA 311, Do 217J, Ju88, S79, BR 20, Ju 87, MB 326, Spitfire Vb, SM 82, Re 2000, CR 42, MC202, MC205(x3), Special Hobby; G 55, CR 25, Ro 57. Sword; Re 2001, Re 2001CN.
Plus in 1/48th Italeri CR 42 and Eduard Nieuport 17.
As you can see, this covers flight in Italian colours from WWI to present day.
I think I am going to be rather busy as it is, but I still think there are holes in this list, particularly CANT types.
Cheers, Dave.

:lol:

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:47 am

Ciao tutti,
to add to my previous list I have discovered that Azur have a Nardi F.N. 305 and MPM a Breda Ba. 88B Lince. Both of these in 1/72nd and available from my on-line model shop. I don't know, of course, what might be available in your countries, possibly more or perhaps less kits. I am aware of the Planet range, but I am not sure I want to try resin kits and they are of rarer aircraft. My original point was about the lack of certain quite common R.A. aircraft in manufacturers ranges. In the North African battles, shipping across the Mediterranean was vitally important and the Italians used the Cant types of seaplane to try to find Allied supply and warships. In reply these types were targeted to protect allied shipping movements.
Cheers, Dave. :)

scapleplastic

new kits

Post by scapleplastic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:54 pm

hello! most are there in 1/72. just because they are not perfect is not reason for rejection. are you a modeler or a whiner? chop it up, get it done. do the research and the work. scratch building might seem challenging. so build the engine or propeller. work from there. james.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi james,
I certainly don't shrink from kit bashing and adding details from scratch, but starting completely from a few bits, such as engine kits etc. may be a bit extreme at the moment. I have such a backlog of kits to build at this time that I am content to wait events to see if the notable gaps in the R.A. list are filled. However, if no new kits come out for those aircraft types I would like to build, I may consider scratch building. Correct scale plans would be the issue then.
Cheers, Dave. :wink:

scapleplastic

Post by scapleplastic » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:03 pm

yeah. me too. i am struggling with the tauro mc-202 right now. i am having to make some comprimises but have corrected most of the worst areas. i'll post some pics soon. how about a 1/32 ca-133? i don't think it would be a difficult build. harry woodman could have done it effortlessly. any way, get the ali d'italia series of books. they are my favorites. i do have some cmpr stuff like the fiat g-50, cant 1018, fiat br-20 all have nice drawings. james.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:01 am

Checking with the on-line model shop I use, I see that the correct style engines for the Cant types are available. I know Quickboost do cowlings for the Italeri S 79 which must be similar, so perhaps I might look into scratch building.
I was looking at the Tauro M202, but if it's not that good a kit I am glad I stuck with 1/72nd!
Cheers, Dave. :lol:

scapleplastic

Post by scapleplastic » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:51 pm

hello! the tauro kit looks good in the box but look closer. i will probably have spent 500 hours by the time it is finished. (if ever) i will post some pictures of my effort. get the pacific coast 1/32 macchis. i have not yet bought the fiat g-55. i hope they have one left. all i can say is the reggiane 2005 and the macchi kit look superb. i enjoy looking at the parts so much i am almost afraid to start them. the 1/72 macchi 202 kit s all have faults. hasegawa kits are very nice but far from perfect. i think the supermodel kit has some advantages despite the raised surface detail and the usual canopy and fairing errors. they all seem too tall or too short. the hasegawa kit will need the fin cut off and moved forward. i have not really checked the rest of the kit so there may be other problems. james.

scapleplastic

Post by scapleplastic » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:05 pm

sorry to butt in again. the broplan kits are really good at least to look at. i have yet to build one. cant 506 civil, cant 1007 inline engines(is the fuselage to skinny?) i have not the drawings. maybe the ali d'italia on this has them. i have not yet found a copy. caproni 111, umbra fighter proto type sm -75 series and more. the planet model ro-41 is a gem. you can get the broplan kits from that really big hobby shop in britain. brain fart time here. i cannot remember the name. i think they almost custom produce these kits. they also have some really cool airliner kits. also, have you seen the kits from (airvac?) of the farmans and flying boats? really nice stuff. av usk did the fiat rs-14 and sm-84. also the ca-133 and sm-82. i think the masters for these are from the mpm group. they have their style about them. james.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:07 am

To return to wants, I like many of the types in Vincent Fiore's list. Apart from Cant types, especially idrovolanti, the Caproni types he lists would be great. Many of them were used as supply aircraft and squadron hacks, to ferry aircrew etc.
Cheers, Dave. :)