2020 Democratic Party Presidential Primaries

Discuss everyday politics, issues affecting people from events in Europe, Asia to North American. Discuss foreign diplomacy, breaking news, elections and today's leading politcal figures

Who will be the 2020 Democratic Party Presidential Nominee?

1) Sleepy Joe
63%
2) Crazy Bernie
No votes
3) Pocahontas ... the erstwhile E. Warren
No votes
4) Pete Buttajudge - my city hates me
No votes
5) Bill De Blasio - I think and say I'm Italian but I'm actually not, my real name is Warren Wilhelm
No votes
6) Kirsten Gillibrand aka Elizabeth Rutnik
No votes
7) Spartacus
No votes
8 ) Kamala ... I have absolutely no chance of winning but lets inflame the electorate
No votes
9) Beto - I'm the product of white privilege, don't vote for me
No votes
10) Someone else ...
38%

Total votes: 8

dogsbody
Comandante di Squadriglia

Re: 2020 Democratic Party Presidential Primaries

Post by dogsbody » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Just after I moved to Fort Mac, in the spring of '80, the population hit 35,000 and it went from town to city. By May, 2016 and the fire, the fixed population was 90,000+. Add in the Fly-in/Fly-out camp people, then it was over 100,000.
The Sawridge was bought by the new GM owner and is now a dealership.
Yeah, there's a lot of pretty big equipment up here, for sure. I worked at Suncor's primary extraction plants for 35 years and have seen most of the big stuff. Our ore crushers could chew up a pickup truck in less than a minute. Rocks and large frozen lumps of tarsand didn't stand a chance.
We routinely processed 12,000 tons per hour and our plant was one of two that ran 24/7.

Chris
" What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at? "

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Some incredible stuff going on up there too re: in-situ bitumen extraction, allot of that stuff was developed at the UofA and UofC - the best Chemical/Petroleum Engineering (Thermodynamic) departments in the world. Most of the bitumen reserves are too deep for mining. I got to an open pit about dusk when I was there and it felt like I was on another world - I guess you got to see it all the time. I encourage the younger guys to get up there and see what's happening when an opportunity comes up (as well as other processing facilities, refineries, gas plants and petrochemical facilities) to get an idea of what they're helping to design. It's one thing to see a design on paper and quite another to see it in front of you operating. btw those oil reserves up there are the 3rd largest in the world, some estimates put them at #1.
Vince Tassone

dogsbody

Post by dogsbody » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:58 pm

The companies up here are also at the forefront of tailings pond recovery. Suncor was experimenting with it when I started there in 1980. So far they have almost completely recovered the first tailings pond. It is almost completely grassed over and trees are growing on it. The deer hang out there, too. There is still a small wet spot at the surface ( at least there was when I left 4 years ago ) but it is the first attempt at pond recovery. Also the way the tailings water is handled has changed. I know that they have gone to a different system now but I don't know the details.

Chris
" What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at? "