1/48 Fiat G 55 Italian Ace

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
vongreim
Pilota

1/48 Fiat G 55 Italian Ace

Post by vongreim » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi,
I made a big mistake and bought a Fiat G 55 thinking that Adriano Visconti flew this aircraft. I have only learned now that he did not.

I would like to build this Fiat G 55 from Special Hobby as an aircraft from an Italian Ace, preferably a well known and high scoring one. (Like Visconti)

Could anybody tell me which aces flew the Fiat G55, and if there is a decal sheet, or a picture of their personal aircraft available?

THANKS!!!
Jan

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by Vincent Biondi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi Jan,
Captain Giovanni Bonet flew the G55 with the "Montefusco" Squadron as part of the ANR (AERONAUTICA NAZIONALE REPUBBLICANA).
Bonet was a fighter Ace with 12 confirmed victories (8 ind + 4 sh)
Captain Giulio Torresi also flew the G55 with the same Squadron, his score was 20 ( 10 ind + 10 sh)
Other Aces that flew the G55: Giuseppe Biron, Agostino Celentano, Ennio Tarantola.
I might have some info on personal aircraft numbers
Hope this helps you.
Vincent.

m.lacivita
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by m.lacivita » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:47 am

Lt. Ugo Drago, 15 victories, and his Black 7.

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm

m.lacivita,
I forgot about Drago.
Stormo 1:48 decal sheet: ITALIAN WWII ACES part III, has his profile and aircraft.
BTW, his score is 20 (17 ind + 3 sh)
Vincent.

m.lacivita
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by m.lacivita » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:32 am

LOL, Vincent...ok, I stand corrected. But you know...when it comes to Italian pilots scoreboard, any number could be correct, since there was a little confusion about criteria, and "sometimes" (tongue in cheek) pilots were prone to overclaiming. Plus, IIRC, the sub-officers' claims were subject to confirmation (i.e. retrieving of the wreck), while the officer's claims were not (and this because of an ancient tradition: officers were often from noble families...their words did not need any confirmation!). Again, propaganda purposes required that a victory was often credited to the whole squadron rather than to a single pilot. Nor there was an official "ace" status when a pilot gained a certain number of kills, as there was in the US with 5. Last but not least, many wartime combat reports and records went lost in the chaos subsequent to Italian defeat, both in 1943 for the Regia and in 1945 for the ANR. Quite a mess, huh?

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 am

Aside from the scores, claims, etc., and by the way, all Air forces on both sides had their share of overclaiming, lets get back to the post.
Jan, my choice for the G55 would be Bonet's plane or Drago's.
Vincent.