2nd Italo-Abyssinian War 1935-1936 Color Schemes

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
vikingcelt
Comandante di Squadriglia

2nd Italo-Abyssinian War 1935-1936 Color Schemes

Post by vikingcelt » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:00 am

Hi ALL!!! :D

This is my first time posting here at STORMO! Thanks for the opportunity to be a member here, looks like a great site! :wink:

Anyway, can anyone tell me where I may find good, accurate, colorful diagrams on full-color of the color schemes used by BOTH combatants during the 2nd Italo-Abyssinian War 1935-1936? I have been searching on my own, and haven't had much success save a diagram of the SM "Pipistrello", but that's it! :?

I would like to build an IMAM RO-37, and a few other aircraft in that color scheme, as well as some planes used by the Ethiopians too. I know they had Potez XXV A5's, and Focke-Wulf FW-56's, as well as a hodge-podge of other aircraft; but info on this period is as rare as the mythical/proverbial "Hen's teeth" LOL!!! :lol:

Lists of aircraft from both sides would also be very helpful - any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot, and have a great day! :D

Sincerely,
Ernest (aka "the vikingcelt") :D

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Welcome Ernest,
Thank you for your post. You might want to read the Stormo Color and Camouflage guide on this site, I cover this period briefly. The Italians had established complete air superiority in the Ethiopian War 1936-39 and there was little need to camouflage their aircraft. Instead the Italians used what was referred to as an anti-camouflage scheme comprising radial red strips applied over a contrasting background, usually Bianco Avorio to help identify crashed aircraft. This scheme was typically applied to the upper surfaces of aircraft wings.

The best reference I can think of that covers this period (with reference photos) are the Intergest books, "Regia Aeronautcia Colori and Insegne 1935-9143". In regard to the specific camouflage scheme of Ro.37s used in the Ethiopian War I'll need to look through some references but you might want to glance through the Gallery and examine the Ro.37s built by Davide and Jean.

Ciao,

vikingcelt

Post by vikingcelt » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:12 pm

Mille Gratzi Senore!!! I appreciate your help - I will investigate these sources you've mentioned.

Thanks!!! :D

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Below, five images of Ethopian Ro.37s. The first two images are from "IMAM Ro37" by Achille Vigna issued by STEM Mucchi in 1976; the remaining three pics are from "Regia Aeronautica: i Fronti Africani" by
Angelo Emiliani, Giuseppe F. Ghergo and Achille Vigna issued by Albertelli
in 1979. Note the background surface color and the red radial stripes on the top wings.

vikingcelt

Post by vikingcelt » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:14 pm

WOW!!! Oh thank-you thank-you thank-you!!!! Excellent!!!! Who could ask for more!!!!

Bellisimo Senore, Bellisimo!!!!

vikingcelt

Post by vikingcelt » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:03 am

OK - How 'bout color schemes used on Abyssinian/Ethiopian Aircraft? :D

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:01 pm

I'll look around, I didn't check for this.

vikingcelt

Post by vikingcelt » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Boy oh boy - I can't wait - thanks a lot pal, you're the best!!! :D

modeldad
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by modeldad » Wed May 02, 2007 12:13 pm

There is an absolutly excellent book on the subject, regretfully it is OOP. It covers all aircraft used.

"ALI ITALIANE IN AFRICA ORIENTALE 1935-1940", BY CARLO LUCCHINI PUBLISHED BY STORIA MILTITARE, 1995.

Here is another book, but I have not seen it.

Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman

vikingcelt

Post by vikingcelt » Wed May 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks pal - thank you everyone - thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!!! :D