Stormo Italian Aces Part II and III

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
GAJouette
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Stormo Italian Aces Part II and III

Post by GAJouette » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:22 pm

Vince,
The two new sets are excellent.Any chance of an upscaled version in 1/32 scale?If so let me be the first in line as I'm sure they'll sell well.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
"Who Love RA Decals in 1/32 Scale"

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi Gregory (aka "Who Loves RA Decals in 1/32 Scale") :)
Thanks for your interest. Yes, I may do a sheet in 1/32, likely a combination of the top scoring aces from Part I-III. I was surpised by the response I got from issuing Part I and that's partly why I did Part II and III. The drawback I have is time ... which I have so little of these days!! Kits and books are also thinks I'd like to do, in fact a kit was in the works not too long ago.

GAJouette

Post by GAJouette » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:42 pm

Vince,
Thanks for your reply.I understand what you mean about lack of time,same problem here.I'll be looking forward to seeing a 1/32 scale Aces decal sheet from Stormo.If it's possible how about something for the Fiat G50 as I have the Roberts/Combat Models G50 kit waiting in the wings.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks Gregory. The best known G.50 is ace Aldo Buvoli's machine in which he managed to down four Blenheims over Tripoli in a single action. There are other aces that flew G-50s in combat, for instance 355-1 (Cap. Ettore Foschini) and “11” (Cap. Pier Giuseppe Scarpetta), both in Greece and with interesting camo schemes of two greens. G.50s are a favorite of mine too :)

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:05 pm

Vince,
Don't forget Livio Bassi, who downed a total of 6 aircraft (5 with the G50) in the Greek campaign!
Vincent.

Lubos Pavel
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Lubos Pavel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:45 am

Hello Vince,
when I looked on your decal sheet nr.III I found some mirrors on the camouflage of Mario Pinna's Macchi.
1. on the rudder should be two kill-markings
2. on the photo I don't see the cover of tail whell
3. the stencils should be according to me black and not in light blue as are on your decal sheet. I think that they were repainted after application of comaouflage
4. in the decal sheet you have the grey colour of the bottom too high on the sides (look on the thin of fuselage)

What do you think about my speculation? Compare with the the following photo and tell me your opinion.

Best regards
Lubos P.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:47 am

Hi Lubos,
Yes the stenciling appears black. We now know C.202s left the factory in blue stenciling so the color may have been applied over top the field modifications to the camo. As you mention the markings on the rudder do suggest kill markings. I should mention the use of kill markings were not common on RA aircraft, for a number of reasons. Also, the extent of the undersurface colors is not so clear, but you can certainly make the case that the tail wheel cover is missing; although the elevator position doesn't make this clear either - tail wheel covers were sometimes removed during repairs. Thank you for sharing this information.

Lubos Pavel

Post by Lubos Pavel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Webmaster wrote:Hi Lubos,
Yes the stenciling appears black. We now know C.202s left the factory in blue stenciling so the color may have been applied over top the field modifications to the camo. As you mention the markings on the rudder do suggest kill markings. I should mention the use of kill markings were not common on RA aircraft, for a number of reasons. Also, the extent of the undersurface colors is not so clear, but you can certainly make the case that the tail wheel cover is missing; although the elevator position doesn't make this clear either - tail wheel covers were sometimes removed during repairs. Thank you for sharing this information.
Hi Vince,
what do thitk that there are on the on the rudder if it isn't two kill-markings as I offered you? The tail wheel cover is missing acording to me cause it's too big to be seen although the elevator is down. But it's only my speculation.
Althought my speculation I like your decals very well. Good work.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:15 pm

The reason I'm a little doubtful about those markings is because as I recall the photo was dated at the end of 1942 (I don't have the reference in front of me) and Pinna had by then got the majority of his kills, so only two markings seems somewhat low. However, of course, all this is open to debate and you may very well be correct! If you chose to add those markings I couldn't argue with you since the photo clearly shows them. One other thing I forgot to mention is that the blue stencil markings sometimes show up as dark shades of gray due to the orthochromatic film used at the time. The rudder stencils for instance does suggest orthochromatic film is in full effect.

This is the beauty of the forum, we get to have these types of discussions and debates – I couldn’t otherwise!

telsono
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by telsono » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Vince;

Weren't the camoflage of the Macchi C. 202 applied by the factories? The styles of the camoflages varied between the various factories (sub contractors). Being at work I don't have my references. With that being the case, it would support the stencil markings being in blue as depicted by you. This aircraft does not have a Macchi style pattern.

Mike T.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi Mike,
Thank you. The plane in question is a Breda built C.202 with its branch-style mottle scheme field modified. I've seen one case where the stencil markings on a C.202 (not Pinna's) have been intrepreted as black but no other. And as I mentioned, blue somestimes renders as a dark shade of gray in orthochromatic film, as the rudder stencil markings in the photo seem to suggest.

One last point I hadn't mentioned, the light blue circular disc (fasci's) just ahead of the cockpit is not present on this plane. I didn't stress this in the notes, although I should have.

Mirek Riha

Post by Mirek Riha » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:01 am

Hi All,

this camo is on page 29 in Ali E Colori for Mc 202.

In text is information about field upgrade camo. On ruder are two red victory markings. Macchi is without cover of tail whell. Circular fascict logo was probably oversprayed by new "upgraded" camo. Camo is dated to september 1942.

Stencils IMHO are probably black (in Ali blue), Savoy House logo on cross is lighter ...Underside grey is in low position like Macchi style camo. See under exhaust pipes to dark path (in middle of exhaust)

Ciao Mirek :)

Chris Busbridge

Post by Chris Busbridge » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:03 am

There was quite a lot of research carried out when preparing the decal sheet artwork, with quite a few quite changes made before sending the artwork to the printers. It just goes to show that, no matter how much 'research' is done beforehand, there is always a chance that something could be missed or overlooked.

Mirek Riha

Post by Mirek Riha » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:44 pm

Chris Busbridge wrote:There was quite a lot of research carried out when preparing the decal sheet artwork, with quite a few quite changes made before sending the artwork to the printers. It just goes to show that, no matter how much 'research' is done beforehand, there is always a chance that something could be missed or overlooked.
Hi Chris, I agree.. :wink: Lubos accidentally found a picture (he looking for pictures Macchi M5 - he has Fly model) and we started this debate - primary between us, after at forum :twisted:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:20 pm

One thing I should add about the rudder markings, I checked Pinna's record and he scored his third (3rd), fourth (4th) and fifth (5th) kills at the end of October 1942. That puts Pinna's record at two individual kills in September 1942. I think we can conclude the upper most markings on Pinna's C.202 rudder correspond to two individual kill markings.