Reply to topic
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vince is in Morocco.

Generale di Divisone Aerea

Thanks for the info Vince.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Yes, I could return to the USA. But I could not live well with my pension. Here in Morocco I bought a very nice apartment and live very well with the money I receive from my pension. If only I could get the things I need to enjoy my hobby. I can get kits and the like. HOWEVER PAINT AND GLUE is almost inpossable. I have to take a trip to Europe to buy them, then I have to find a hobby shop that has what I want and need.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Fiore
Vincent Biondi

Well, if I may be so bold as to suggest, why not retire in Europe.
The three cheapest and best places to retire in the EC are Hungary, Malta and Portugal.
I am assuming because of your name Fiore, your background is Italian and getting a an EC passport, if you want, should not be a problem.
Also, more and more Americans and to a lesser degree Canadians, are choosing Europe for retirement.
Just a suggestion.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

btw Vince Chinook Hobby closed.

I'm not surprised that Chinook closed.
Looks like other than PM hobbies, there are no more stores in Calgary left.
It sounds like more and more people are opting to go the route of Ecommerce, which is killing the local hobby stores in all the cities!
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree more and more people are buying online. The problem with Chinook Hobbies was their staff, just abrasive with everyone. The owners didn't spend much time there either. I think the same thing happened to Little Generals, the owner worked in the oil patch and wasn't there much.

Retired In Kalifornia

In Metropolitan Sacramento County is Viking Hobby 4713 El Camino Ave in Carmichael owned by the Mossbergs since c.1978:

Fifty years ago there were near two dozen in a metro area half of today's population "The Mecca For Scale Modelers" being Highlands Hobbies on Bolivar Avenue in North Highlands next to McClellan A.F.B. then a very active aircraft logistics & maintenance facility at the height of the Vietnam War. Highlands was gone by 1977 by 2000 Viking and its erstwhile better stocked & floor spaced competitor Riverside Hobbies in the City of Sacramento were the last two "full service" store stocking scale modeling kits & supplies the latter closing in December 2011.

I occasionally still go to Viking for Humbrol & Model Master enamels but when Jessica Mossberg retires the store will close ending decades of Traditional Local Hobby Store marketing.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Vincent Fiore

I could have moved to Italy and became a citizen. Italy now allows up to third generation to qualify for citizenship, cost one thousand Euros. I am first generation. My father was born in Fondi and my mother in Messina. however I have a very nice Apartment , all paid for and a very pretty young Moroccan wife!

For my birthday in August I will fly to ether England and visit Hannet's or go to the Netherlands to Mega Hobbies to get enough kits and supplies for a year. And it will give me a chance to get a few brew and maybe I could find a shoppe to buy a few pounds of good Italian sausage. Yes, I do miss good Italian food and bread. Into everyones life a little rain must fall.

Guys it is great talking to you, and may good bless you.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Fiore
Vincent Biondi

Sounds like you are doing fine in Morocco!
Take care,
Happy modeling!!
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

bbq'd italian sausage in a panino Smile I love the ones at hot dog stands (very close to authentic) and you can now get them at Safeway! Smile lol I came so close to moving to San Fran in 2006, I still have regrets, it was so beautiful.

Editor wrote:
bbq'd italian sausage in a panino Smile I love the ones at hot dog stands (very close to authentic) and you can now get them at Safeway! Smile lol I came so close to moving to San Fran in 2006, I still have regrets, it was so beautiful.
"Was" is the operative word if y'all frequented Downtown, South Beach, Yerba Buena, South Of Market, Tenderloin, Civic Center/Van Ness otherwise most of The City remains beautiful.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Absolutely, the regrets (or lamenting) I have were that I wanted to go. However I based the decision at that time (I had a job offer from Chevron) on expensive real estate (lehman was only few years away in 2009 which ironically didn't hit the bay area so badly), the weak canadian dollar (I would incur a significant loss in net worth) and the San Andreas Fault. One of the guys taking me around the city showed me a beautiful corner on a hillside (where I would probably live) and explained it was wiped out in the last major quake. I asked how often they got tremors and he explained, all the time - its sort of gods way of telling you, you probably should live somewhere else Smile! lol

Today I'm glad I didn't go because of the cost of living (taxes) and the politics of the state. But boy did I fall in love with that city and the people were just perfect. I loved Texas also, maybe more so. I never had a bad experience in all the years I worked and travelled in the US. Canada is very lucky to have neighbors like the US, can you imagine living next to China or Russia or some 3rd world country. We should count our blessings and Canada is a blessed (lucky) country.

Editor wrote:
Absolutely, the regrets (or lamenting) I have were that I wanted to go. However I based the decision at that time (I had a job offer from Chevron) on expensive real estate (lehman was only few years away in 2009 which ironically didn't hit the bay area so badly), the weak canadian dollar (I would incur a significant loss in net worth) and the San Andreas Fault. One of the guys taking me around the city showed me a beautiful corner on a hillside (where I would probably live) and explained it was wiped out in the last major quake. I asked how often they got tremors and he explained, all the time - its sort of gods way of telling you, you probably should live somewhere else Smile! lol

Today I'm glad I didn't go because of the cost of living (taxes) and the politics of the state. But boy did I fall in love with that city and the people were just perfect. I loved Texas also, maybe more so. I never had a bad experience in all the years I worked and travelled in the US. Canada is very lucky to have neighbors like the US, can you imagine living next to China or Russia or some 3rd world country. We should count our blessings and Canada is a blessed (lucky) country.

The San Andreas isn't the only Bay Area threat, whole region is a Fault Forrest, Hayward crossing near the entire populated East Bay. The worst Bay Area earthquake since 1906 San Francisco was 1989 Loma Prieta 10 miles south of San Jose, strongly felt that in far away Sacramento, almost fell down! I'm more worried about wildfires where I live, best I could do is load up the Honda with my most critical documents along with Dad's S&W Model 19 & 27 .357 Magnums, can't part with those!

California living costs indeed are high but most Media reporting centers on the major metropolitan areas. I've been living off my pension since 2000 quite well in Cameron Park though worry greatly what The Communists In Sacramento throw my way ala taxes never mind fetishly idiotic special-interest legislation at the expense of taxpayers like me...nuff said on this topic Evil or Very Mad
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Fault Forrest, Hayward " ?

I remember clearly discussing a possible move to San Fran with friends and always arriving at the conclusion that knowing my luck, the year I moved to San Fran is when the fault would rip California into two and sink the part I was on into the Pacific, and me along with it lol That was my reasoning along with extremely expensive real estate that was due for a correction - I was right about this part happening (RE) to parts of the US (e.g., Nevada, Florida), but not so much to San Fran because real estate there has always been limited - its land locked - SF is sort of immune to what happens to other parts of the country or even the state wrt to RE.

Communists is a nice word compared to the people running Sacramento - Soviet Communists were pretty smart.