STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Thanks, and help with an SM 79 scheme
Maddog3025
Pilota

Hi ,

Thanks for letting me join. I have an old Airfix SM 79 kit about ready for primer. I'm trying to pick a scheme though its tough to choose with the Sparviero!

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this scheme? - http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/314/pics/32_21.jpg
(59 Squadriglia)

I'm pretty sure I once found a photo of one in this scheme but can't find it now. I'm sure I can take a good guess at what colors are used here but I wanted to ask if anyone had more definitive info on the scheme and unit.

Thanks again, and sorry if this is was discussed in an older post and I missed it.
What I've Come Up With On Short Notice...
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Savoia-Marchetti S.79 Serie II Sparviero

Wings Palette Russia (Art From Now Inactive French Source URL):

59 Squadriglia, 33 Gruppo Bombardieri, 11 Stormo Bombardieri, 3 Divisione Aerea "Pegaso", 2 Squadra Aerea November 1940

The Near 100% Likely Original Source = PROFILE Publications No.89 The Savoia Marchetti S.M.79 Giorgio Apostolo 1966:

The art is based on a very well-known port side photo of the crash-landed bird (can't pull it up right now, help from others would be appreciated!), a perennial favorite amongst S.79 aficionados & modelers for over 50 years now.

Others on STORMO likely know better but am guessing Verde Mimetico 1 base with Giallo Mimetico 3 broad stripes. The Stripe Liners possibly could be Bruno 10, a piping identification color, Marrone Mimetico 53193 "wash" within the broad stripes field or maintenance depot applied. The Liners could also be thickly sprayed 53193; Bruno 10 is a dark chocolate color, have sprayed it on some of my models for aesthetics, I'd bet though it could had been used as an ad hoc camo color ala RLM 02 on Luftwaffe aircraft.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Maddog3025
Pilota

Thanks for responding. I have seen those profiles. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea as to the particular colors, esp the base color as well as the colors used within, and lining, the giallo bands?
Re: What I've Come Up With On Short Notice...
Retired In Kalifornia

(Please Disregard This Post)

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Retired In Kalifornia

Maddog3025 wrote:
Thanks for responding. I have seen those profiles. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea as to the particular colors, esp the base color as well as the colors used within, and lining, the giallo bands?
See Above Again...
Maddog3025
Pilota

Got it, thank you! I thought I saved that photo somewhere but darned if I can find it.
Retired In Kalifornia

Maddog3025 wrote:
Got it, thank you! I thought I saved that photo somewhere but darned if I can find it.

Just perused my decal sheet collections, SKY Models & Tauro sheets I have don't feature this airplane, am sure they're out there on the Internet - somewhere!
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maddog3025 wrote:

Welcome to Stormo! Any relation to James Mattis ? Smile SIAI used paints supplied by Arson-Sisi, Inves and Masciadri. The paints supplied by these firms were:

Giallo Mimetico 3 (Arson-Sisi) *
Verde Mimetico 53192 (Arson-Sisi) *
Marrone Mimetico 1 (Inves)
Marrone Mimetico 2 (Masciadri)
Marrone Mimetico 53193 (Arson-Sisi) *

With Arson-Sisi colors being the predominate colors used for the three tone schemes.

This information is available in the Color Guide in Table 1:
http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronauticaColorsinWWII_3a.htm#Table%201.%20Paint%20Suppliers%20and%20Aircraft%20Manufactures

The camouflage schemes used on S.79s were the SCHEMA A - BANDE TRASVERSALI VERDE-MARRONE-GIALLO (3 Tone Transversal Banded Schemes) and in this case possibly a variant of E6 which was found on a S.75.

CMPR Camo Schemes:
http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronauticaColorsinWWII_3a.htm#CMPR%20Camouflage%20Schemes%20:%201936-1943

Editor wrote:
Maddog3025 wrote:

Welcome to Stormo! Any relation to James Mattis ? Smile SIAI used paints supplied by Arson-Sisi, Inves and Masciadri. The paints supplied by these firms were:

Giallo Mimetico 3 (Arson-Sisi) *
Verde Mimetico 53192 (Arson-Sisi) *
Marrone Mimetico 1 (Inves)
Marrone Mimetico 2 (Masciadri)
Marrone Mimetico 53193 (Arson-Sisi) *

With Arson-Sisi colors being the predominate colors used for the three tone schemes.

This information is available in the Color Guide in Table 1:
http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronauticaColorsinWWII_3a.htm#Table%201.%20Paint%20Suppliers%20and%20Aircraft%20Manufactures

The camouflage schemes used on S.79s were the SCHEMA A - BANDE TRASVERSALI VERDE-MARRONE-GIALLO (3 Tone Transversal Banded Schemes) and in this case possibly a variant of E6 which was found on a S.75.

CMPR Camo Schemes:
http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronauticaColorsinWWII_3a.htm#CMPR%20Camouflage%20Schemes%20:%201936-1943

Agree now E6 scheme variant with Giallo Mimetico 3 (Stripes), Marrone Mimetico 53193 ("Wash" Over Stripes), Verde Mimetico 2 (Base), Grigio Mimetico (Undersides). The Stripe Liner Color is the ? here, much as I like Bruno 10 it may had been thickly applied Marrone Mimetico 53193.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's the photo Richard was referring to:

The caption says:

This crash landed 59a Sq., 33o Gruppo, S.79 carries a blurred-band camouflage pattern. Although the possibility of a field applied scheme exists, likely colors are from darkest to lightest, Verde Mimetico 3, Marrone Mimetico 53193 and Giallo Mimetico 3. The pattern is similar to that of chip A4 with an additional green band at the center of the yellow one.

53192 and 53193 are references to specific documents that reference these colors.

Pilota

Excellent, that's a better image than the one I had seen before. Thanks to you both!
Maddog3025
Pilota

Hope I don't overstay my welcome, but do you know of any good paint reference charts for matching Vallejo Model Air, Tamiya, and Mr. Color paints to the RA colors?
Retired In Kalifornia

Maddog3025 wrote:
Hope I don't overstay my welcome, but do you know of any good paint reference charts for matching Vallejo Model Air, Tamiya, and Mr. Color paints to the RA colors?
Do you use only acrylics? I'm very "old school" using Humbrol & Testors enamels. Italari markets their own acrylic line, do check on whether they've got all the Regia Aeronautica Colors.
Maddog3025
Pilota

I guess I would say yes to that. I consider the Mr. Color and Tamiya to be pretty "hot" acrylics compared to the Vallejo.I paint gaming miniatures as well so the water base Vallejo is very good for that as well as the base coats on aircraft and such. I really prefer to use the "hot" paints when I am going to paint camouflage details. Unfortunately I don't have a good ventilation set up in our new place so I am using the Vallejo whenever I can.

I have some Model Masters but haven't used them in some time. I didn't find they sprayed better than Mr. Color/Tamiya though maybe I didn't work with them enough to learn the right mix. I've used Humbrol and I recall it's a fine paint. It's just not quite as available to me plus I never liked the tins that much.

Do you find the the Testors shades match well with RA colors or do you have to mix most shades for the match?

Thanks again for the help and conversation.
Retired In Kalifornia

Maddog3025 wrote:
I guess I would say yes to that. I consider the Mr. Color and Tamiya to be pretty "hot" acrylics compared to the Vallejo.I paint gaming miniatures as well so the water base Vallejo is very good for that as well as the base coats on aircraft and such. I really prefer to use the "hot" paints when I am going to paint camouflage details. Unfortunately I don't have a good ventilation set up in our new place so I am using the Vallejo whenever I can.

I have some Model Masters but haven't used them in some time. I didn't find they sprayed better than Mr. Color/Tamiya though maybe I didn't work with them enough to learn the right mix. I've used Humbrol and I recall it's a fine paint. It's just not quite as available to me plus I never liked the tins that much.

Do you find the the Testors shades match well with RA colors or do you have to mix most shades for the match?

Thanks again for the help and conversation.

The only Testors enamel paints I currently use as Regia Aeronautica Italia Mimetico colors are Model Master 2009 British Crimson + Humbrol 118 US Matt Tan 80/20 mix roughly approximating Humbrol 180 it approximating Marrone Mimetico 2, Testors Flat Yellow 10% with Humbrol 63 Matt Sand replicating Giallo Mimetico 3. Humbrol 180 enamel isn't available so had to "eye" my 2009 + 118 mix which isn't a FS595b 30076 match of course my home-brew being a more intense hue.

I'm at the point of my modeling when if I can get good color references regarding a particular build subject will do best possible to replicate it otherwise must be satisfied with an approximation rough as they could be at times. I'm not chucking any of my built kits wrong am sure number of them are painted. RAI/ANR folks like us would quibble but if I'd taken any of them to an IPMS-USA contest am 90% sure the judges wouldn't know the difference(s) given RAI/ANR subjects don't appear at them often.
Thanks, and help with an SM 79 scheme