STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.11
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea

- > Braved High Heat Conditions yesterday & today to paint Schema A1 Giallo Mimetico 3, Verde Mimetico 1, Marrone Mimetico 2 over Italeri S.79 Serie I model Fuselage, Mainwings, Tailplanes, Engine Cowlings respectively with Humbrol 63 Matt Sand + 10% Testors Flat Yellow, Humbrol 102 Matt Army Green, Testors Model Master 2009 British Crimson + Humbrol 118 US Matt Tan 80/20 each with 36% Testors Flat White by volume:

-> Tomorrow will spray undersides Grigio Mimetico Humbrol 140 Matt Gull Grey + 36% Testors Flat White.
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.12
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Undersides of Mainwings, Tailplanes & Struts, Fuselage & Bomb Aimer Gondola, Propeller Spinners et. al. parts painted Humbrol 140 Matt Gull Grey + 36% Testors Flat White replicating Grigio Mimetico today.

- > Portions of Engine Cowlings will be painted Grigio Mimetico tomorrow pending photographic cross-checking on where to mask for spraying .

- > Model will represent one of the first 24 S.79 production aircraft with minimal weathering, i.e. sprayed on tire "mud" & some engine blow-by.

- > Period photos of first production (i.e. 1937) S.79s show them sporting only Rudder Tricolors & Fuselage Engine Cowling Fuselage Fasci, Payload Weight Markings on Rudder Fins, Aircraft I.D. & M.M. numbers, likely will depict one of the later manufactured machines equipped with armament & radio attenna wiring.
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.13
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Entire Mainwing Assembly completed; Aileron Mass Balances, Flap Actuators, Landing Gear Assemblies & Doors, Bomb Bay Doors & Actuator, Pitot Tubes glued in place.

- > Inadvertently glued Main Landing Gear Assemblies on wrong Mainwing sides, luckily able to pry them out, properly re-glue though effort took nearly an hour in uncomfortably warm working conditions.

- > Mainwing Assembly required several spray & paint brush spot touch-ups including respraying parts of Main Landing Gear Assemblies after they were relocated & glued in, Port/Starboard Navigation Light colors also painted on.

- > A very light mix of Poly Scale Black & White Acrylic was sprayed on Port & Starboard Engine Mounts replicating engine blow-by grime.

- > No markings of any kind on Mainwing Assembly per available period photos of early S.79 Serie I aircraft, glad indeed about not having to add them!

- > Fuselage Nose Engine Mounting painted Testors Flat Steel followed by very light Poly Scale Black & White Acrylic "grime" mix sprayed on replicating engine blow-by grime.

- > SKY Models Sheet 72003 Savoia-Marchetti S.79 Aircraft I.D. & Matricole Militare decals for SM79 M.M. 20789 - the 16th Serie I aircraft - applied beneath each Tailplane on both Fuselage sides.

- > Italeri S.79 kit House of Savoy crest decals applied on Tricolor Rudder it then glued in place on the Rudder Fin, Tailplanes & Support Struts subsequently glued in place, EZ Line string replicating bracing wires will be glued in place tomorrow.

- > No other markings were applied on the Fuselage per available period photos of early S.79 Serie I aircraft, more glad not having to add them!

- > Tomorrow will spray Testors Model Master Clear Semi-Gloss Lacquer on Mainwing Assembly, Fuselage & Bomb Aimer Gondola, after drying glue them together along with Breda & Lewis Machine Guns et. al. parts in place, move onto painting Engine Cowlings & Exhaust Pipes.

- > Saturday July 14th projected completion.
Italeri Savoia-Marchetti Serie I M.M.20789
Retired In Kalifornia

This Completes The Italeri Savoia-Marchetti S.79 Series...
Retired In Kalifornia

...and also is the last S.79 I'll "ever" build James Bond never saying notwithstanding.

Next up is the 1973-vintage 1/72 scale Delta 2 Macchi C.205V Veltro, it also will be the last Delta 2 kit I'll ever build - for sure!
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

What a beautiful job - and another one for the Gallery. The color scheme is gorgeous. You should put your builds up for sale, at least $250/each.

Editor wrote:
What a beautiful job - and another one for the Gallery. The color scheme is gorgeous. You should put your builds up for sale, at least $250/each.

Do y'all want me to compose amendment text for the S.79bis & Serie I models, i.e. what machines they represent & construction comments? The kit versions have been reviewed by others over the years; Torpedoes could had been better detailed, i.e. no propulsion screws for starters, Torpedo Mounts too thick vertically etc, no Serie I open Dorsal Gun Station parts option, etc.

If - BIG IF - am alive say 15 years from now likely will have to divest my entire built model collection, possibly move into an Assisted Living Ghetto. If still OK in my 80s will move to Independent Living Ghetto but still must divest most if not all of my collection. Whoever "cares" for me then will have to dispose of it, hopefully by then I'll not be so disturbed about having to do that. Disposing of my late folk's artifacts will very severely disturb me, sooner die right now knowing they'd be lost forever whilst am still alive.
Vincent Fiore
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Why not enquire about giving them to a museum or public library. you might ask about Fantacy of Flight or there is a collection of WW 2 aircraft in Va. Beach, Virginia. They might even buy them from you.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Fiore
Retired In Kalifornia

Vincent Fiore wrote:
Why not enquire about giving them to a museum or public library. you might ask about Fantacy of Flight or there is a collection of WW 2 aircraft in Va. Beach, Virginia. They might even buy them from you.

Likely am decade and a half till must decide what to do with the collection, still am building...If I die meantime my sisters will decide what will becomes of it, will leave them instructions.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Retired In Kalifornia wrote:
Editor wrote:

Do y'all want me to compose amendment text for the S.79bis & Serie I models, i.e. what machines they represent & construction comments? The kit versions have been reviewed by others over the years; Torpedoes could had been better detailed, i.e. no propulsion screws for starters, Torpedo Mounts too thick vertically etc, no Serie I open Dorsal Gun Station parts option, etc.

If - BIG IF - am alive say 15 years from now likely will have to divest my entire built model collection, possibly move into an Assisted Living Ghetto. If still OK in my 80s will move to Independent Living Ghetto but still must divest most if not all of my collection. Whoever "cares" for me then will have to dispose of it, hopefully by then I'll not be so disturbed about having to do that. Disposing of my late folk's artifacts will very severely disturb me, sooner die right now knowing they'd be lost forever whilst am still alive.

Your work should go into museums at the very least. Whatever you'd like to do Richard wrt to comments and text for the Gallery, its all going into the Gallery one way or the other.

Editor wrote:
Your work should go into museums at the very least. Whatever you'd like to do Richard wrt to comments and text for the Gallery, its all going into the Gallery one way or the other.

I may end up having to give them away to folks here at STORMO, i.e. each display boxed unit, but breakage risk is extremely nay unacceptably high. Whenever I must dispose of the collection will have to Trust Fate whomever(s) doing it for me will be considerate of their value, i.e. don't give them to 5 year-olds to play with for cry'n out loud Mad

If STORMO is still up on the Internet 15 years from now AND I'm still am cogent certainly would advertise their availability here first provided am not throttled for posting anything here meantime that'll ticks of the Management ala FineScale Modeler website did to me days before I'd signed on to STORMO for posting an "Amen" to a political commentary posted by another member - the active membership there is extremely cliquish but knew that before I'd joined them last year.

Will write amendments to the S.79 article I'd sent y'all some weeks ago soon as weather conditions here improve, suffering aplenty currently from them!
Delta 2 Macchi C.205V Veltro Build Progress Report No.1
Retired In Kalifornia

Other Party Built Example Of The Delta 2 Model With Kit-Supplied Decals

- > The 1973-vintage Delta 2 Macchi C.205V and contemporaneous SUPERMODEL offerings were the first 1/72 Scale model kits of the Veltro, latter better detailed & molded though former despite clunkiness easier to build.

- > Mainwings & Mauser 20 mm Cannons, Fuselage Halves separated from sprue, trimmed & sanded for fitting.

- > Cannon Parts fitted on Upper Wing Halves required considerable trimming & sanding before gluing on, finishing putty work & sanding still required.

- > High Heat & Humidity conditions forcing me to suspend work till tomorrow 🔥 🔥 🔥 Sad

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

I may end up having to give them away to folks here at STORMO, i.e. each display boxed unit, but breakage risk is extremely nay unacceptably high. Whenever I must dispose of the collection will have to Trust Fate whomever(s) doing it for me will be considerate of their value, i.e. don't give them to 5 year-olds to play with for cry'n out loud Mad

If STORMO is still up on the Internet 15 years from now AND I'm still am cogent certainly would advertise their availability here first provided am not throttled for posting anything here meantime that'll ticks of the Management ala FineScale Modeler website did to me days before I'd signed on to STORMO for posting an "Amen" to a political commentary posted by another member - the active membership there is extremely cliquish but knew that before I'd joined them last year.

Will write amendments to the S.79 article I'd sent y'all some weeks ago soon as weather conditions here improve, suffering aplenty currently from them!

I built a 1/72 G.50 a while ago and gave it to a guy at work who gave it to his kid who was at work and smashed in front me within in 5mins lol not a good idea to give away any of your work to kids!

"Amen" ... amen! left-wing insanity won't be happening here anytime soon. The Finescale Modelers can stay there ... thank you very much.

Editor wrote:
"Amen" ... amen! left-wing insanity won't be happening here anytime soon. The Finescale Modelers can stay there ... thank you very much.

Issue I had was not the forum regulars most of whom were very cordial but the Management apoplectic over anything "political" being posted. Very much do realize the FineScale website part of the Kalmbach Publishing Empire in business since 1934 is for-profit but to be effectively locked-out after posting an "Amen" to another's purported political post for me went way too far especially considering I'd spent months posting all the photos seen on this discussion thread plus participating in a number of Group Builds there garnering really good kudos as well.

I'd debated posting my photos here first over a year ago but believing FineScale was "larger" started with them finding out after some weeks the same 100 or so folks did 90% of the postings - I was very active the year was there as well - only wished I'd started at STORMO not having to compete for views & comments on a "broad spectrum" hobby website really good as FineScale is but alas too broad ala lost amongst the "Vehicle People" doing much of the posting there.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Issue I had was not the forum regulars most of whom were very cordial but the Management apoplectic over anything "political" being posted. Very much do realize the FineScale website part of the Kalmbach Publishing Empire in business since 1934 is for-profit but to be effectively locked-out after posting an "Amen" to another's purported political post for me went way too far especially considering I'd spent months posting all the photos seen on this discussion thread plus participating in a number of Group Builds there garnering really good kudos as well.

I'd debated posting my photos here first over a year ago but believing FineScale was "larger" started with them finding out after some weeks the same 100 or so folks did 90% of the postings - I was very active the year was there as well - only wished I'd started at STORMO not having to compete for views & comments on a "broad spectrum" hobby website really good as FineScale is but alas too broad ala lost amongst the "Vehicle People" doing much of the posting there.

Its crazy to edit or block a user because someone used Amen - good grief (Christianity is under attack, lefties will protect Muslims but not Christians - Christianity is the only remaining religion that's ok to publicly denigrate) - its a sign of the times. Earlier this year on this discussion board, in Italy a restored Re.2002 was finished in the wrong markings Co-Belligerent, Vince Biondi pointed out the mistake since the pilot Cenni never flew with the Co-Be AF (only the RA) but I pointed out that was no mistake, it was purposely done. My decals 48008 are marked out (swastikas) in Germany.

Most discussion boards are inhabited by about 50-100 souls, there are many more that casually hang around but don't post - we see it here all the time when they do decide to come out of the shadows lol

Their loss our gain!! so happy to have you Richard Smile