STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Macchi MC202 EC MM91974
tanker149805
Pilota

Does anyone know if this aircraft carried the House of Savoy crests on tail cross and wing Fasces? My pictures show no fuselage Faces. All of the pictures I have don`t show the areas I need in question. Was this plane stripped of all Fascist insignia per 25Jul43 directive? Thanks for any or all information. Jeff
Stefano
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

It's possible it never had them. The XIII serie was built by Macchi between April and August 1943 and was the last batch built, together with Breda's XII. There is a strong possibility that MM 91974 was delivered to RA (if not completed) after the fall of Fascism on 23 July. I've got no other evidence on this.
Can we have some more references or pictures on this 202?
Stefano
Macchi MC202 EC MM91974
tanker149805
Pilota

Thanks Stefano,
Your information pretty much confirms my suspicions also. I am going to hazard an educated guess that this airframe did not have the RA wing Fasces, but did have the House of Savoy Crests on the tail plane war cross. Some pictures I have on Macchi`s post Fascist era show the crests in place, but I can`t see them on this airframe. Jeff
Glad I'd Came Across This...
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Late next winter 2018-2019 will build all the original SUPERMODEL C.202 kit variants, including the C.202EC, issue regarding Regia Aeronautica Italia markings it sported is important for that particular build so must refer back to this discussion thread before getting it underway next year!
Update...M.M.91974 DID Have Mainwing Tri-Fasci Insignia
Retired In Kalifornia

Profile Publications No.28 The Macchi C.202 Page 9:

I've seen many photos over the years of other newly minted Italian aircraft with few markings applied notably those of Serie-I Savoia-Marchetti S.79s. Some I've seen of Regia Aeronautica Italia cannon-armed C.205Vs* well as the C.205N-1** & N-2 prototypes show Mainwing Tri-Fasci well as House of Savoy crests on rudder crosses but no Fuselage Fasci, including one of the 1942 C.205V prototype at Guidonia (Squadron No.1041Macchi C.202 In Action Page 35); photo of the C.202 M.M.91974 above might had been taken at Guidonia before Fuselage Fasci were applied.

* = Aero Detail 15 Macchi C.200/202/205 Page 106 Photos 2 & 4 respectively show Serie-I C.205V M.M.9338 & Serie-III M.M.92215 without Fuselage Fasci though they likely were affixed on the former later on.

** = Aero Detail 15 Page 109 Photos 14 & 15 show the C.205N-1 prototype with & without Fuselage Fasci
Macchi MC202 EC MM91974