STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Now, that's a Flying Boat!
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Just surfing today on the net and came upon this model of a magnificent looking flying boat, the Caproni-Reggiane Ca 8000.

A scale model of the hydroplane is displayed at the Caproni Aeronautical Museum in Trento.

Too bad there isn't a model kit available, sure wood be nice!

Here is the link:

http://www.euro-t-guide.com/See_Photo/Italy/N/Caproni_Museum_Trento_2012_05.JPG
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
About the Caproni Reggiane 8000
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Wikipedia: Reggiane Ca.8000

The Caproni-Reggiane Ca.8000 was a four-engine seaplane passenger transport aircraft project for transatlantic crossings.The project started in 1944, imagining the post-war commercial scenario.

The project was started in the Reggiane technical office at that time in Clanezzo, Bergamo. The feasibility studies were carried out by the designers until the end of the conflict, so for business strategies any aeronautical industrial project was abandoned and with it also the development of the Ca.8000 that was at an advanced development point. In fact, the construction of two first prototypes was scheduled for the summer of 1946.

The Ca.8000 was to have been of entirely metallic construction, with fuel tanks in watertight wings. Designed to offer luxurious accommodation, the fuselage was divided in two decks, with beds in sleeping compartments and seats for 52 passengers; whilst for day flights the cabins sat 76, with ten crew members. Facilities on-board included a restaurant, bar and meeting room.

The Ca.8000 was designed with four 3,000 hp (2,200 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major engines, high-wing with retractable wing floats, and a triple vertical stabilizer.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very cool. Just when you thought you knew everything there is know about this subject then you get something like this. In all truthfulness, I'm always humbled how little I know when I get started on a new decal sheet.