WIP of something never kitted before, and questions/ 1/48 and Re.2000 content

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
RAaficionado
Comandante di Squadriglia

WIP of something never kitted before, and questions/ 1/48 and Re.2000 content

Post by RAaficionado » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:54 pm

hey, what's up gang..
this one is very difficult to research. I was not able to find anything on this lift carrier,- only 5-6 pictures. I just purchased a book on the Re.2000, and am hoping to get more info. I am aware of all the correct adders and mods to the Re.2000 ser.3 to make it right (catapult-able), so it'll be a separate project in several months from now.
I know there is a lot of knowledge and expertise on these pages.
if someone could please educate me? I'm in the middle of this project, and have 2-3 weeks to complete, so timing is critical.
these are questions I have:
- are there any known references? drawings, pictures etc.
- what base color do you think I should paint this rig in? RA or RM standard stock, or something else? It'd depend on where it was built: by Reggiane, or by some third-party contractor. I hope to get something out of that MMP book when it arrives.
- those two containers: do you think they contained rocks and gravel? these are not tool boxes. I think I can substantiate this theory.
- truck on the pic is M-B L4500, and I'm going with M-B L3000, because a received it as a gift, and couldn't bother with a very expensive Wespe kit. Are there any Italian trucks in 1/48 from major shakers like Italeri, Tamiya... or? Any interesting and comprehensive books on Italian WWII military trucks you could recommend me?
This is a fast-track project, and next time I'll be posting completed rig and truck... I wish I had more spare time for the Re.2000 now, but it'll be done eventually: I gathered AM bits and a Classic Airframes kit.

Oh.... this is my first post here!!!
thanks!

this is what I'm going for:

davenport49
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Re: WIP of something never kitted before, and questions/ 1/48 and Re.2000 content

Post by davenport49 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:53 am

Just checking - don't know if the problem's on my end or yours - the images didn't download. Anxious to see what you're up to.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WIP of something never kitted before, and questions/ 1/48 and Re.2000 content

Post by Editor » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:03 am

Richard try refreshing your screen (F5), I had the same problem. Likely an issue with the imgur servers the poster is using.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:45 am

Welcome to Stormo and thanks for your post.

Very interesting project and good job so far.

I don't know who built the lift-carrier. The colors we have listed in the color guide are specific to prewar-WWII Italian aircraft camouflage schemes. The lift-carrier however might have been painted RE colors. Italeri suggests an Olive green for the M13/40 ITA MM Acrl - 4734, FS.34082. Below are two links for the Italeri kit Instructions and the Italeri acrylic paint conversion chart:

Italeri Carro Armato M13/40 6213 1:35 - Instructions with Paint Guide

Italeri Acrylic Paint Conversion Chart

You can also try getting in touch with Harvey Low (kagero43), he's working on a S.82 - L3 (light tank) transport for his next article in SAM and I think he managed to get in touch with some of the folks at IPMS Italy who furnished him with some information on ground equipment. I think its worth having a chat with Harvey, he's a good researcher. Here's what he's working on:

You don't see many 1/48 AFV kits, they never seem to have caught on in popularity. Here's the Supemodel 1/48 CR.42LW + AB 41:

https://www.stormomagazine.com/Kits_Sup ... tm#IT10501

RAaficionado

Post by RAaficionado » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:59 pm

thanks very much! I sent Harvey a PM.
I did contact the maker of the carrier WIP3D, and they were not sure about the color either. Allegedly, only two of these existed. I remember reading elsewhere that only six or eight Re.2000 were converted for the duty, and 2-3 prototypes prior to that.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:26 pm

The trolley to carry the Re.2000 aboard ships was built by Reggiane (see below p.23 photo and caption from Maurizio's book). See also p.27 for another view of the trolley. Also try contacting Maurizio (macchi205), if you can't reach him on here PM me and I'll provide you his email. Below more information from Maurizio's book:

RAaficionado

Post by RAaficionado » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:02 pm

thank you very much! dude, I have this book, am so dumb sometimes, this is Aviolibri, your scans prompted me to look and I found it. I have sold 1/3 of my library years ago, but kept the whole RA segment. I got into hobby at a very early age, so library grew back then....
I actually read this book many years ago; why I haven't looked for it now, no idea.
I ordered MMP book and it should be arriving next week.
I will send a PM to Maurizio
thank you for all your help! I wouldn't even think I still had this book; found couple of more rare monographs.... go figure

RAaficionado

Post by RAaficionado » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:03 am

hey Stormo! people,

I'm calling the Re.2000 lifting rig complete for now. I will add details and potentially might need to re-paint if/when more info becomes available. Specifically I'll be looking for GA drawings; I came up with nothing in my search, and only used photographs, which is a very dicey approach, because I found at least two variants of this trolley.
as for the colors:
I doubt the rig was built in-house by Reggiane using their own production capacity. The most probable course was that it was built by a third party, most likely by one of the outfits that built tank transporters. Long story, I have good arguments, and that is something I do for a living... so until proven wrong, I'm giving myself a pass.
the Aviolibri book states "was builted by Reggiane firm", but I don't take it at a face value. With years of manufacturing engineering experience, and aerospace engineering degree under my belt, I would need to see materials to substantiate that. It's possible, and maybe even viable somehow, but it doesn't sit right with me.
so, I used Graugrün for base color, and than gave it a mist of Dunkelgrün. It's kinda a middle ground. As an aircraft modeller I'm relying on AFV modellers who built Italian tank transporters, and picture I found. I merely don't know better.

I will post proper pics once the truck is completed.
a 1/48 Re.2000 model is planned closer to the end of the year.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:56 pm

Beautiful job, you work fast. Very interesting subject.

I agree, I don't think the lift-carrier was built by Reggiane for the reasons you stated. Its possible but unlikely, Reggiane would have had to source the axles, tires, suspension, bearings etc a supply-chain they lacked to build the lift-carrier efficiently, even landing gear was often sourced out. During wartime it wouldn't have made sense to build it themselves.

Here are a couple of photos of transport trailers for the M11-39 and M13-40, the first is built by Strafurini and the latter was built by Viberti. Viberti was a manufacturer of military transport vehicles and trailers and also built the Camionetta M.42/43 together with SPA - I believe Viberti are still around today. Both photos are taken from Pignato's Squadron book, Armor# 39 2039. The thing to note in the first photo is the Gray-Green color reference FS.34159. Pignato is pretty consistent with this color throughout the book and uses it also in his very good book with R. Riccio, also by Squadron, "Italian Truck-Mounted Artillery #2044." Pignato doesn't suggest different hues that might have been used by the different afv manufactures (e.g., FIAT, SPA, Lancia, Breda etc.) and/or their paint suppliers, but anyway that's what we have and FS.34159 is pretty close to what you used for the lift rig. One other thing to note from the M-11/39 on the trailer is the thin diagonal bands on the trailer, the bands are red-brown which show up in orthochromatic film as almost black, or near black (darker than the base).

Luca Bossi scratch built a GA, have a look below at what he did. Luca is active on the Stormo Forum (lb) and Riccardo Trotta should also have the drawings for this plane:

https://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArt ... GA_1a.html

RAaficionado

Post by RAaficionado » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:50 pm

thank you for the reference! I am very new to these subjects - I only build 1/48 aircraft. It appears I'm close with the color selection, which is great!

I received MMP book on the Re.2000/2002/2003, and it has all the necessary drawings to add catapult clamping points to the Re.2000GA. And the pilot's seat was slightly different as well. I'm tempted to do the adders sooner than later, but wont' have time to work on the Re.2000 until the end of this year.

WIP3D, the maker of this lift-carrier just added pics, that I haven't seen until now: https://www.wip3d.it/en/portfolio-items ... ioCats=537

the modeller who built it opted for greener color: something to consider. They might be right.
I don't think the placement of the tactical "red 1" on the port side is correct, it should be to the right on the white band, me thinks. Pretty cool though; very inspiring.

they also offer a complete catapult in 1/48, that could be great for the Ro.43!

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:24 pm

In the WIP3D photos, I think the photos correspond to two builds, 1/72 and 1/48 - and the two builds use different greens. I don't recognize either green but both are a little closer to FS.34082, especially the 1/48 closeups. The green in the original photos is quiet a bit darker, closer to Pignato's gray-green. If you look at the scans I provided earlier from Maurizio's book, Red "6", starboard side, you can see roughly where the aircraft number was placed on the white band. I'd email WIP3D and ask them what color they recommend to use for the carrier and if they have information who built it and the catapult. The catapult is very cool.

RAaficionado

Post by RAaficionado » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:50 am

The scan from Aviolibri you provided shows the "red 1" on the catapult ready for launch, and the number was to the right on the white band.
I've also been in touch with WIP3D, and the color is still not conclusive. They made a good point that whatever paint was available was sprayed over metal primer.
It's all good, classic Italian olive green or naval gray. I will certainly re-paint if something more definitive surfaces.
I'm looking at my Ro.43 SH kit in 1/48 and thinking how great it would look on that catapult. I wish I could not work and had more time for modelling.
thank you!

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:17 pm

In 1937 the RA standardized around a network/matrix, the so called "honeycomb" camouflage schemes. In mid-1941 the RA then standardized around a simple set of colors the Tavola X colors and color chips were shared with the paint suppliers. However the RA did not standardize the shapes, colors, size or location of unit codes or individual aircraft numbers, this was left to the units themselves. Note that the white theater band (and yellow nose 1941) and cross of Savoy were introduced for recognition purposes in 1940. The size, shape, color and location of unit codes and ind aircraft numbers were pretty consistent within squadrons but often varied from squadron to squadron. Unit codes + ind aircraft numbers could be found within the white band, outside of the band, fore and aft, the relative positions could be switched from port to starboard sides so we're left with photos when it comes to these details. The Re.2000s on RM ships were flown by RA pilots.

RAaficionado

Post by RAaficionado » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:54 pm

thanks! this makes sense. I have a good idea how to proceed with the Re.2000 build, which is a CA kit, and I might borrow some parts from a SH kit that I received sealed with a defective lower wing part....

right now I just want to finish the truck and take some pics already. It's been only 4 weeks but feels much longer than that.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:45 pm

Port side views of Re.2000 Catapultabile Red-1. Top right photo on page 10 you can see the location of the aircraft number, port side, aft on the white band. There were only 8 of these planes built. The planes were taken from a Swedish production batch and modified. Long-range tanks retained, four strong points added, two inboard of the forward landing gear fairings and two aft of the wing roots trailing edge (see photos). The transparencies behind the sliding canopy were removed and a solid headrest added. Windscreen slightly modified and a new radio and antenna fitted.