STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Day of National Unity of Armed Forces
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Today November 04 is Armistice Day in Italy, celebratiing the end of the Great war between Italy and the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

In Italy, soldiers who died for the nation are remembered on November04, when the ceasefire that followed the Armistice of Villa Giusti in 1918 began.

Thoughts and prayers.......
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thoughts and prayers. Italy lost 650,000 souls in that war and fought on that front alone basically, against the combined weight of Austria-Hungary and the same German armies that defeated the Russians and Romanians.

Retired In Kalifornia

My sister's late father 'n law's dad fought at Caporetto though don't know with what Italian unit. Around this time in 1944 my dad was on Manus Island after his ship the U.S.S. HONOLULU CL-48 was torpedoed near Catomin Hill Philippines on October 18th, patched up she made Norfolk, VA on December 20th. On the way she'd ported at Pearl Harbor where I believe dad was let off then transported to Long Beach Naval Shipyard. Dad literally was at home on Christmas 1944 their being 16 mm color footage of him in his Navy Blues - I've got them BTW.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great story!