0%  [ 0 ]
Republicans hold the Senate but lose the House
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

So our highly scientific poll or crystal ball as Larry Sabato likes to call his, was accurate Smile The Senate is held by Republicans and they may even get more than they were hoping for with 5 possible pick-ups if Tester losses in Montana and Arizona holds, and the Democrats pick up the house. It was a fascinating night. Florida was very tight and Obama's (and Oprah's) campaigning proved largely ineffective. 25+ net pickup so far in the house. Looks like the main issue was in fact the economy. In Florida, de Santis got 1MM more votes than Rick Scott did in the last election which gives you an idea of the extent of turn out. beto losses in Texas and Gillhum losses in Florida. So all in all a good night for Trump.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Retired In Kalifornia wrote:
- > Democrats will likely gain 36 seats - a 13 seat majority - but will be amongst the smallest off-year net seat gain following a presidential election in decades by them or Republicans.

- > Most seats lost were in "deep blue" Illinois, New Jersey, New York, "blue" Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Virginia.

- > Seven seats in "deep blue" California will be flipped marking the greatest loss of Republican House seats in any one state nationwide and amongst the most ever lost in that state.

- > Three "new" Republican Senate seats were gained though depending on final vote tallies for incumbents could be less.

- > U.S. Mainstream Media is trumpeting this a "Trump Defeat" though this won't be realized till the next Congress is seated in January. Ronald Reagan & George H.R. Bush had to "negotiate" with Tip O'Neal's Democrat House but they did get important legislation passed, Nancy Pelosi, only surpassed by Maxine Waters, is a rabid Trump Hater BUT she's no dummy when it comes to getting "mutually beneficial" legislation passed - watch closely how she & Trump "get along" hereon. This likely will be Nancy's last term as House Speaker, she'll want to "leave a legacy" whatever THAT may be, damn better not be a Civil War!

I'm super-concerned about the Dems going full bore on impeaching Trump & Kavanaugh; Maxine has promised "payback" against banks so I'll need to call my broker soon to see how much "exposure" I've got in my portfolio!

I think civil war breaks out amongst democrats in regard to going after Trump and getting rid of the old guard i.e., pelosi, waters etc

Generale di Divisone Aerea

Editor wrote:
So our highly scientific poll or crystal ball as Larry Sabato likes to call his, was accurate Smile The Senate is held by Republicans and they may even get more than they were hoping for with 5 possible pick-ups if Tester losses in Montana and Arizona holds, and the Democrats pick up the house. It was a fascinating night. Florida was very tight and Obama's (and Oprah's) campaigning proved largely ineffective. 25+ net pickup so far in the house. Looks like the main issue was in fact the economy. In Florida, de Santis got 1MM more votes than Rick Scott did in the last election which gives you an idea of the extent of turn out. beto losses in Texas and Gillhum losses in Florida. So all in all a good night for Trump.
I've voted for Dems keeping the House, Repubs keeping the Senate, came late to that conclusion; Sean Hannity all along was concerned about this "split decision" so took my clue from him. Nothing was worse than Obama getting elected WITH the House & Senate in 2008, him getting elected in 2012 was that much worse. I'd expected Trump to win in 2016, too bad we'd got stuck with Paul Ryan, HE shoulders much of the blame for this year's house losses by not agressively funding more House seat challenges.
Re: Dems Win House, Repubs Expand Senate Seat Leade
Retired In Kalifornia

Editor wrote:
Retired In Kalifornia wrote:
- > Democrats will likely gain 36 seats - a 13 seat majority - but will be amongst the smallest off-year net seat gain following a presidential election in decades by them or Republicans.

- > Most seats lost were in "deep blue" Illinois, New Jersey, New York, "blue" Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Virginia.

- > Seven seats in "deep blue" California will be flipped marking the greatest loss of Republican House seats in any one state nationwide and amongst the most ever lost in that state.

- > Three "new" Republican Senate seats were gained though depending on final vote tallies for incumbents could be less.

- > U.S. Mainstream Media is trumpeting this a "Trump Defeat" though this won't be realized till the next Congress is seated in January. Ronald Reagan & George H.R. Bush had to "negotiate" with Tip O'Neal's Democrat House but they did get important legislation passed, Nancy Pelosi, only surpassed by Maxine Waters, is a rabid Trump Hater BUT she's no dummy when it comes to getting "mutually beneficial" legislation passed - watch closely how she & Trump "get along" hereon. This likely will be Nancy's last term as House Speaker, she'll want to "leave a legacy" whatever THAT may be, damn better not be a Civil War!

I'm super-concerned about the Dems going full bore on impeaching Trump & Kavanaugh; Maxine has promised "payback" against banks so I'll need to call my broker soon to see how much "exposure" I've got in my portfolio!

I think civil war breaks out amongst democrats in regard to going after Trump and getting rid of the old guard i.e., pelosi, waters etc

That's what I'm expecting. More than a few Dems elected tonight have promised not to be "Pelosi Puppets", they ALL WILL BE but they get hell to pay IF they'd vote to impeach Trump and Kavanaugh!
Going Off Topic...
Retired In Kalifornia

I NEED to post photos of my first completed SUPERMODEL Macchi C.202 build so will say chao to this discussion thread for now. I'm plenty depressed BUT must press on with my hobby modeling work. Must console myself till 2020, tough "Swamp Times "we're facing, potentially the worst since the Civil War - no kidding!
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

With important governor wins in Ohio, Florida, Iowa and Wisconsin Trump gets re-elected in 2020. If waters chairs the Banking committee, someone will probably assassinate her or something else happens to her - she's too much of a nut case and she may not even get the chair anyway. I agree Pelosi is pragmatic.

Retired In Kalifornia

Editor wrote:
With important governor wins in Ohio, Florida, Iowa and Wisconsin Trump gets re-elected in 2020. If waters chairs the Banking committee, someone will probably assassinate her or something else happens to her - she's too much of a nut case and she may not even get the chair anyway. I agree Pelosi is pragmatic.

Battery was too low, couldn't upload the SUPERMODEL C.202 pix, must wait till it does...don't want Maxine or ANYBODY to be assassinated, she's just a committee chairperson, anything mustering out of HER committee must survive floor votes, THAT is when the Newly Elected Dems MUST "Vote Their Conscious" AND the will of their district voters NOT to "do harm" to THEIR savings portfolios for openers. Adam Schiff is more worry some, he'll immediately launch new investigations into Trump et. al. wasting committee time & resources on his witch hunts, Pelosi MUST reign him in or face catastrophic House seat losses in 2020 if nothing is delivered in the way of "undeniable proof".

There may be "comprehensive immigration reform" over next two years but it won't be what the Dems expect, i.e. carte blanch amnesty for illegals, they'll stop all "Trump Wall" funding but he - Trump - might get around that via the Homeland Security & Defense budget appropriations process.

Meantime...California voters went "No" on Proposition 6 to repeal new Fuel & Registration Taxes, really though it would pass. Gavin Newsome as expected is Governor though he'll be the most ineffective one since Gray Davis who was recalled in 2003, I'll largely ignore him, guy fortunately isn't as obnoxious as Moombeam.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

It looks like Nelson in Fl is asking for a recount. When you take into consideration this time in Obama's and Clinton's presidency where Obama lost 63 seats in the house (the highest in US political history) and 8 in the senate and Clinton lost 50+ and 5, Trump only lost 27 (below average) so far in the House (23 needed by the Dems) and it looks like he'll gain 4-5 in the Senate, this is a success for Trump - its not a victory in the House but its as close as you can get to one, all things considered. It'll be interesting in the House since the Dems are hanging-on by a thread and its easier to get votes in the House than in the Senate. Trump's agenda gets stalled but we'll now see the art of the deal get into full swing. I just saw a clip of Schiff and it looks like he'll be going after Trump as hard as he can. Sorry to see Scott Walker lose in Wisconsin, I thought he had won last night. There was no blue wave as our scientific poll predicted accurately lol RCP should add the Stormo poll to the RCP average Smile

Editor wrote:
It looks like Nelson in Fl is asking for a recount. When you take into consideration this time in Obama's and Clinton's presidency where Obama lost 63 seats in the house (the highest in US political history) and 8 in the senate and Clinton lost 50+ and 5, Trump only lost 27 (below average) so far in the House (23 needed by the Dems) and it looks like he'll gain 4-5 in the Senate, this is a success for Trump - its not a victory in the House but its as close as you can get to one, all things considered. It'll be interesting in the House since the Dems are hanging-on by a thread and its easier to get votes in the House than in the Senate. Trump's agenda gets stalled but we'll now see the art of the deal get into full swing. I just saw a clip of Schiff and it looks like he'll be going after Trump as hard as he can. Sorry to see Scott Walker lose in Wisconsin, I thought he had won last night. There was no blue wave as our scientific poll predicted accurately lol RCP should add the Stormo poll to the RCP average Smile

Watching President Trump's Press Conference right now, most impressive layout of what happened yesterday; he's taking questions right now (9:20 a.m. my time)...Schiff better cool-it; Trump WILL retaliate against attempts to derail "doing the public's will" regarding pressing national policy issues...more later.
Back On Topic...
Retired In Kalifornia

Been digesting Media et. al. commentary regarding yesterday's election results.

All Mainstream TV Media acknowledge "The Blue Wave" didn't happen, i.e. Dems retook the House but so far just with an 11 seat majority, far less than they'd expected, Repubs net gaining 3 Senate seats only for the third time in U.S. history during an off-year election. Repubs did well retaining State Governor seats though loosing Scott Walker in Wisconsin bidding for a third term; Ron DeSantis & Rick Scott in Florida were not expected to win their Governor & Senate seats, their Dem challengers are demanding recounts.

Nancy Pelosi has been celebrating the Dems getting back the House non-stop since last night whilst carefully avoiding endorsing moves by Jerry Nadler, Adam Schiff, Maxine Waters to ultimately impeach Trump and Brett Kavanaugh, she might face "resistance" from her new Dem colleagues voting her in as Speaker but very likely will be. Other than "Healthcare" not all Dems currently are unified on a systematic House legislative agenda but I'd expect they'll cart it out before the year's forcing Trump to "play" on their terms, not wise given he's a Grand Master Of Multi Level Deal Making combined with The Patience Of Job with the Orchestral Talents Of Richard Strauss - he's also great entertainment witness today's Press Conference, Laughing whole time was I; too bad Jim Acosta had his Press Credentials pulled Laughing
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

It should be a net pickup of 4 states in the Senate with Arizona - McSally should hold on. I'm surprised Tester won in Montana, I thought Montana was a Republican state and given what Tester did to Trump's nominee for Healthcare, I thought Tester would have been crushed? The Rosendale people believed the last remaining votes were in republican strongholds last night and Rosendale was ahead?

Jim Acosta is a moron and I'm glad they revoked his press credentials and I hope its permanent - apparently he touched a female intern and the video clearly shows he made contact with her - assault charges ? Smile I don't get it why Trump keeps going to Acosta and the MSNBC people who grand stand and look for fights.

It'll be interesting what Pelosi does but my feeling is that the Dems drop all pretenses immediately and go after Trump hard, including Pelosi. The Rep had a 20+ cushion before yesterday and they still had trouble passing legislation although Paul Ryan did say often they passed more bills in the House than they did in the last 50 yrs.

Editor wrote:
It should be a net pickup of 4 states in the Senate with Arizona - McSally should hold on. I'm surprised Tester won in Montana, I thought Montana was a Republican state and given what Tester did to Trump's nominee for Healthcare, I thought Tester would have been crushed? The Rosendale people believed the last remaining votes were in republican strongholds last night and Rosendale was ahead?

Jim Acosta is a moron and I'm glad they revoked his press credentials and I hope its permanent - apparently he touched a female intern and the video clearly shows he made contact with her - assault charges ? Smile I don't get it why Trump keeps going to Acosta and the MSNBC people who grand stand and look for fights.

It'll be interesting what Pelosi does but my feeling is that the Dems drop all pretenses immediately and go after Trump hard, including Pelosi. The Rep had a 20+ cushion before yesterday and they still had trouble passing legislation although Paul Ryan did say often they passed more bills in the House than they did in the last 50 yrs.

Libertarian Rick Breckenridge siphoned off near 3% of the vote. Montana is starting to "go blue" from moneyed costal lefties grabbing cheap real estate whilst bring all their political baggage with them, same thing happened in Colorado, Idaho is experiencing this phenomena also.

California BTW is loosing population whilst gaining it, former fleeing natives to places like Montana, latter through immigrant births, is well on way to becoming a "Latin American Country" insofar as tremendous wealth disparities crushing what used to be the Middle Class here. I'm borderline low-middle class, no way could I afford to live in any costal county, wouldn't want to anyway.

Trump shouldn't let Acosta set foot again in the White House, he'll still harass Trump whenever he can; guy's begging for a Secret Service "cuff-party", wouldn't that be delicious Laughing

Trump's gonna play Pelosi like a pipe organ - push them keys, hear her sing Laughing - she'll not allow herself to be humiliated before him even if she has to give up "political capital" in doing so, "legacy" is everything for her just like it is for the Clintons & Obamas.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

That explains what happened in Montana, its disappointing and Tester did not deserve to win. I was watching Tucker a few weeks ago and they panned the side of a roadway full of tents and garbage littering the roadway, and what I thought was a roadway in Mexico (I've been there and I've seen the worst of it) and it turned out to be in San Francisco! It was quiet unbelievable and saddening, and to think I had a job offer to move there in 2006 - and was very close to going! As you may have noticed I love the US ... but sans the shootings! I think its time to revisit the 2nd Amend and I fully understand the position and support behind it, but these unending mass shootings are wrecking the image of the US and the shootings do have something to do with the easy access to firearms in the US.

Acosta is a disgrace and I agree Trump will play Pelosi, he already is! Trump gets no credit and is in fact disparaged on a daily basis, however the truth of the matter is that he's a highly intelligent man, far smarter than Obama and certainly brighter than dbuya, although I liked dbya Smile

Editor wrote:
That explains what happened in Montana, its disappointing and Tester did not deserve to win. I was watching Tucker a few weeks ago and they panned the side of a roadway full of tents and garbage littering the roadway, and what I thought was a roadway in Mexico (I've been there and I've seen the worst of it) and it turned out to be in San Francisco! It was quiet unbelievable and saddening, and to think I had a job offer to move there in 2006 - and was very close to going! As you may have noticed I love the US ... but sans the shootings! I think its time to revisit the 2nd Amend and I fully understand the position and support behind it, but these unending mass shootings are wrecking the image of the US and the shootings do have something to do with the easy access to firearms in the US.

Acosta is a disgrace and I agree Trump will play Pelosi, he already is! Trump gets no credit and is in fact disparaged on a daily basis, however the truth of the matter is that he's a highly intelligent man, far smarter than Obama and certainly brighter than dbuya, although I liked dbya Smile

"Easy Access To Arms" DOES NOT have "something" to do with mass shootings here. Saïd and Chérif Kouachi murdered 12 people injured 11 others in Charlie Hebdo's Paris offices, 17-year-old Tim Kretschmer murdered 15 injured 9 during the 2009 Winnenden Baden-Württemberg school shooting, countries with very strict gun control laws. U.S.A. mass murdering isn't worst in the world, Middle Eastern countries lead here particularly with bombs, remember also Anders Behring Breivik killing 77 people in Regjeringskvartalet and Utøya in Tyrifjorden Buskerud with bombs.

Most of these mass murders have one thing in common: angry severely uptight men wanting to "get their pound of flesh" for whatever deranged reasons. Former U.S. Marine Ian David Long yesterday murdered over 10 at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks with a 45cal Glock 21 using an illegal in California extended magazine clip, guy supposedly had PTSD issues. Millions of WWII, Korea & Vietnam vets also had PTSD but few of them went on to become mass-murders - why?

Many U.S.A. male mass murders are psychologically isolated good number of them without TWO caring parents - why? Angry as I surely got though life I'd looked up to my parents on how they'd endured tribulations growing up during the Great Depression, how they'd sacrificed for us siblings, without them I COULD had been a mass murder as well - seriously!

I knew all too many people who didn't have two caring parents, most came out OK but a few were dangerously unstable, point: y'all gotta have "anchors" be they parents, friends, whomever Taking The Time to care about y'all when y'all aren't caring about others, maybe that'll help towards reigning in sick minds.

No, leave The Second Amendment alone, we'd tried Prohibition with the 18th and that gave us The Mafia, gun control isn't the answer! Corrosive anti-family government policies meant to substitute The State for two parents are killing more people than guns here IMHO.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's changed in the last 50 yrs with respect to accessibility to guns in the US ... the answer is nothing, the same laws are in place and the same accessibility as there was 50 yrs ago, yet there weren't mass shootings 50+ yrs ago - why? Clearly society has changed e.g., glamorizing violence in movies, video games, respect for life has changed, little to no religion in peoples lives anymore (ie., Christianity e.g., love thy neighbor, peaceful religions such as Taoism), promiscuity, excess, no sense of sacrifice etc. The left talks about limiting accessibility to guns but they leave out the damage they've wrought on society wrt to these societal values.

And how do you change the society we have now? Whatever the answer is, its probably not going to happen soon enough, so what do you do in the meantime? Arm more people? Gun proponents rightly argue you can't leave a break-in into your home to the police because when seconds matter the police are often minutes away. We have this problem up here with respect to rural crime where on average it takes the RCMP about 30mins to respond to a burglary or even a homicide and the police often arrest homeowners for defending their families and property - its insanity.

Its a difficult problem!