STORMO! Forum Index


STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic

What's your favorite Sci-Fi Movie Franchise?
Star Trek
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
Star Wars
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Star Trek or Star Wars ?
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 2028
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Reply with quote
Here's your chance to choose between two of the most iconic sci-fi movie franchises of all time. Are you a Trekkie or a fan of the Force and why?




_________________
Vince Tassone
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
Voted For Star Trek But Reluctantly...
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 498
Location: Cameron Park, California
Reply with quote
I'd missed "The Man Trap" airing on September 8, 1966 BECAUSE they - NBC-TV - advertised it airing on the 15th, didn't know that till series reran in June 1967. Didn't see "Star Wars" on May, 25, 1977, tickets sold out at every Sacramento theater screening it that day, did see it 28.5 times over ensuring near two years though. I saw "Star Trek The Motion Picture" very first showing anywhere in Sacramento at Century Theatres near Arden Fair Mall on Pearl Harbor Day 1979, saw first "Alien" showing there as well on September 6th, former left me Confused latter Shocked-ed, numb I was riding on buses to apartment was living in the time. I'd pass on first showings of either franchise's sequels though did see "Star Trek Generations" debut on November 17, 1994 at Century Theatres before was demolished over a decade later.

I of course would "follow" these et. al. sci-fi franchises hoping for a really good plot line well as exceptional acting with as little CGI FXs as possible, but that's too much to ask for. I'd still bet if more $$$'s were put in writing a great script with meaningful storyline content I'd spend whatever ticket price to see it provide it doesn't offend my sensibilities - gonna be a long, long wait alas Sad
View user's profileSend private messageFind all posts by Retired In Kalifornia
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 2028
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Reply with quote
For me it's Star Trek because the plots are thought provoking far more so than Star Wars, even the original tv series got your imagination going. And of course Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner are eternal. The Harrison Ford/Mark Hamil Star Wars movies (IV, V ,VI) are classics, but the subsequent prequels and one sequel were b-acting films (as well as re-used plot lines, I thought in some instances I was watching the original Star Wars movies) wrapped in incredible special effects. I didn't like Star Wars VII at all, its supposedly the best of them all?!

_________________
Vince Tassone
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 498
Location: Cameron Park, California
Reply with quote
Editor wrote:
For me it's Star Trek because the plots are thought provoking far more so than Star Wars, even the original tv series got your imagination going. And of course Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner are eternal. The Harrison Ford/Mark Hamil Star Wars movies (IV, V ,VI) are classics, but the subsequent prequels and one sequel were b-acting films (as well as re-used plot lines, I thought in some instances I was watching the original Star Wars movies) wrapped in incredible special effects. I didn't like Star Wars VII at all, its supposedly the best of them all?!

ST-TOS was good space opera with best fx's possible given limited production budgets. Early 1st Season ST-TNG episodes were terrible, liked 2nd Season with Diana Muldaur ridiculous as she was parroting McCoy's bigotry towards end of Gene Roddenberry's production influence. Several ST-DS9 episodes were good, absolutely hated ST-Voyager, cross between "Lost In Space" & "Space 1999" bumping, jumping, running from adventure to adventure trying in vain to get back home alive but not necessarily in one piece. The Twilight Zone & The Outer Limits well written plots made up for hopelessly cheezy fx's, saw near every episode of both, those of latter towards end wore on me, marked time switching to "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." & "Twelve O'Clock High" till ST-TOS came on the latter juicing interest in building & hand painting 8th Air Force Bombers vs Luftwaffe models second half of 1965.

I'd seen SW-I, II, IX, V, VI in their entirety, clips of III, VII, VIII, intense anger out there amongst Star Wars fanatics over Luke angrily tossing Anakin's light sabre some seconds after Rey most anxiously handed it to him in VIII Rian Johnson's impassioned logical explanations over the why-for notwithstanding, the most squandered "emotionally meaningful" scene of the whole Star Wars franchise to date IMHO, Luke should had handed it back with a "thanks but no thanks" then walked off!
View user's profileSend private messageFind all posts by Retired In Kalifornia
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 2028
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Reply with quote
Exactly I can't watch any of the Star Trek modern retakes - Jean-Luc Picard just didn't do it for me - although Patrick Stewart did a good job with X-men - actually he was the perfect Charles Xavier. Even the new Spock, Zachary Quinto is awful and Quinto has even done a modern retake of the classic series "In Search Of ..." !

I haven't yet watched Star Wars VIII but I don't expect it to be anything more than VII. The fact is prequels and sequels never match the original movies which launch them, a good example is the Transformers franchise which is becoming long in the tooth, the Die Hard franchise too is becoming old but who doesn't love John McClane and I'd watch the next one if they released it and I'll probably watch Bumblebee too! Die Hard was a classic with Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) the perfect arch enemy who should have won an Oscar! Smile

_________________
Vince Tassone
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 498
Location: Cameron Park, California
Reply with quote
Editor wrote:
Exactly I can't watch any of the Star Trek modern retakes - Jean-Luc Picard just didn't do it for me - although Patrick Stewart did a good job with X-men - actually he was the perfect Charles Xavier. Even the new Spock, Zachary Quinto is awful and Quinto has even done a modern retake of the classic series "In Search Of ..." !

I haven't yet watched Star Wars VIII but I don't expect it to be anything more than VII. The fact is prequels and sequels never match the original movies which launch them, a good example is the Transformers franchise which is becoming long in the tooth, the Die Hard franchise too is becoming old but who doesn't love John McClane and I'd watch the next one if they released it and I'll probably watch Bumblebee too! Die Hard was a classic with Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) the perfect arch enemy who should have won an Oscar! Smile

George Lucas produced the original Star Wars as a late 1920s, 30s & 40s Saturday Matinee Action Serial episode, precisely why I'd enjoyed it even after 28.5 viewings. Audiences hooped & hollered like kids many like me children of parents who'd done exactly that during the 20s, 30s & 40s, the near perfect "communal experience" for late 1970s Baby Boomers of the kind their parents told them about, clearly knew that second the Screen Crawl came up!

Looking back, Lucas could had rolled IV, V, VI in together with an Anakin Skywalker back story as a 4-hour epic skipping I, II, III altogether ending the franchise in 1977 if he'd known how V & VI would be framed whilst writing IV instead of rebooting in 1999 after entire fandoms devoted to character backstories had built up generating wholly unrealistic expectations for I, II, III, terrific FX flicks but IMHO duds. The same thing almost happened with Star Trek but Roddenberry in ST-TMP deftly picked up the ST-TOS storyline forcing Trekkers to accept his executive something say-so over the franchise he'd created in 1964 till 1991 with TOS cast movies ST-TNG meantime moving forward with an independent storyline TOS cast & character hooks occasionally being thrown in.

Later ST-TNG, DS9, Voyager TV series episodes under Paramount's control went their own ways but still were part of Roddenberry's Star Trek Universe. Lucas' Star Wars Universe was IV, V, VI, everything else is Disney's via Lucasfilm, i.e. flashy franchise property for movies & rides, real storyline creativity resting in the hands of the Fandom on the Internet, e.g. originally produced YouTube videos some of them quite interesting including this brilliant franchise crossover: Batman Vs Darth Vader Super Power Beatdown Alternative Ending
View user's profileSend private messageFind all posts by Retired In Kalifornia
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 2028
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Reply with quote
I think if you took only Star Wars IV, V, VI and asked the same question you wouldn't get such a lopsided result to this poll-question. I'm still undecided if jaja binks helped or hurt the franchise lol

_________________
Vince Tassone
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 498
Location: Cameron Park, California
Reply with quote
Editor wrote:
I think if you took only Star Wars IV, V, VI and asked the same question you wouldn't get such a lopsided result to this poll-question. I'm still undecided if jaja binks helped or hurt the franchise lol

Good point on IV, V, VI, principle character Luke Skywalker pushed by murders of foster parents to become a Jedi on way discovering truth of his genesis, his father Anakin giving his life to save Luke from "a greater evil" whilst retrieving himself from that evil. A taughtly written four-hour epic would had sufficed if Lucas had wanted Star Wars 1977 to be a one-off epic, need to research if anybody has edited & posted something like that on the Internet.

Jamaican-esque Jaja Binks' "value" was getting Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi to Otoh Gunga, immediately came under critical attack as being racist; last appearance I'd known of at Padmé Amidala Naberrie's funeral in an unspeaking role, don't think he'd "hurt" the franchise.

Despite lukewarm fan reaction to "VIII" the world-wide gross was robust so Disney will produce more Star Wars flicks though not released as close to each other. The bottom line is all that matters to Disney, legendary in squeezing every penny of revenue out of their franchises, pray they - Disney - don't drive it into mindlessness ala "Alien", they - Disney - could end up destroying Star Wars' "cultural value" in the process.
View user's profileSend private messageFind all posts by Retired In Kalifornia
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 2028
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Reply with quote
Jaja Binks racist, there you go, I didn't' hear about that one. This obsession with racism in the US (everywhere) will be its undoing - it certainly has weakened it. We get US broadcasting up here (all of it) and I've been watching racism dominate the news, almost every day for as long as I can remember.

Exactly, VII/VIII still grossed $1 Billion and as long as the films pull in that kind of $ they'll continue to put-out that low-grade stuff, and VII was pretty bad (II and III were pretty bad too). Watching flicks from the '70s and '80s, most have a story to tell, a plot, something interesting, however today's mega-flicks are all about special affects - it costs them about $200MM to make and they pull in about $1Billion+, its a good business.

_________________
Vince Tassone
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 498
Location: Cameron Park, California
Reply with quote
Editor wrote:
Jaja Binks racist, there you go, I didn't' hear about that one. This obsession with racism in the US (everywhere) will be its undoing - it certainly has weakened it. We get US broadcasting up here (all of it) and I've been watching racism dominate the news, almost every day for as long as I can remember.

Exactly, VII/VIII still grossed $1 Billion and as long as the films pull in that kind of $ they'll continue to put-out that low-grade stuff, and VII was pretty bad (II and III were pretty bad too). Watching flicks from the '70s and '80s, most have a story to tell, a plot, something interesting, however today's mega-flicks are all about special affects - it costs them about $200MM to make and they pull in about $1Billion+, its a good business.

"Racist" like "Nazi" has been overused to point of meaningless by The Left over last 80+ years particularly by The Media many today working in this industry too young to had personally known WWII vets never mind those combatting both during the post-WWII U.S. Civil Rights Movement. There are Racists in the States Jew-baiter Louis Farrakhan immediately coming to mind but not genuine Nazis they're near all dead; "Neos" aren't Doctrinal Nazis ala Goebbels, Himmler, Streicher but wannabe thugs enamored with the intiminating symbolism. I get most of my "news" via the Internet, FOX News & Business Network for visuals, was avid PBS & CNN news watcher for decades but abandoned both in 2003 over crass anti-Bush bias for FOX before David Shepard Smith Jr. "came out the closet" over everything, including his leftist leanings.

Disney buying Lucasfilm guaranteed themselves a loyal fanbase to "buy" Star Wars branded anything regardless of "story quality", alternatively, Roddenbery in 1964 didn't anticipate branding Star Trek, neither did Paramount, they didn't know "what to do" with the franchise after "Turnabout Intruder" got in the can spring 1969 ending TOS episode filming. From what I read it took Star Wars' success to prod Paramount in making "Star Trek The Motion Picture" to get serious over branding (i.e. marketing) the Star Trek franchise but nowhere to the extent Disney has since buying Lucasfilm on October 30, 2012. Regardless, both franchises - Star Trek & Star Wars - continue to be money-makers, whether they'll be "Culturally Relevant To The World" 50 or 100 years ago remains unknown but I'd bet 1960s British Invasion tunes will be Wink
View user's profileSend private messageFind all posts by Retired In Kalifornia
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 2028
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Reply with quote
Retired In Kalifornia wrote:

"Racist" like "Nazi" has been overused to point of meaningless by The Left over last 80+ years particularly by The Media many today working in this industry too young to had personally known WWII vets never mind those combatting both during the post-WWII U.S. Civil Rights Movement. There are Racists in the States Jew-baiter Louis Farrakhan immediately coming to mind but not genuine Nazis they're near all dead; "Neos" aren't Doctrinal Nazis ala Goebbels, Himmler, Streicher but wannabe thugs enamored with the intiminating symbolism. I get most of my "news" via the Internet, FOX News & Business Network for visuals, was avid PBS & CNN news watcher for decades but abandoned both in 2003 over crass anti-Bush bias for FOX before David Shepard Smith Jr. "came out the closet" over everything, including his leftist leanings.


Same thing with fascism, most people have no idea what it is (i.e., studied it, socio-economic system) or its origins other than equating it to Nazism. And I agree "neo-nazis" and "neo-fascists" are mostly an uncoordinated nutty bunch. If you read diplomatic letters between Germany and Italy up to and including WWII, Fascists and Nazis were not morons as they are often depicted today, but quiet rational and highly intelligent. I stopped watching CNN about 2008, the reporting was absurd e.g., often calling McCain a racist live even though he had an adopted black kid. Pretty funny to see the same press heap praise on McCain when he passed away. I remember watching Chris Matthews often and I liked him (when he was fair), he even exchalted G. Bush (dubyah) early on and interviewed him during the 2000 Presidential election and did a good job - you almost got the impression he was going to vote for him! I stopped getting MSNBC about 2001 (News pack) and then tuned in again in 2008 and Matthews had lost his mind - no longer a fair minded reporter - he was also an alcoholic in the past and probably started up again and had become pretty much a left-wing nut job.

Retired In Kalifornia wrote:

Disney buying Lucasfilm guaranteed themselves a loyal fanbase to "buy" Star Wars


yes and not sure why G.Lucas would have sold LucasFilm movies? He could have started his own film studio rivaling paramount and disney to some extent.[/quote]

_________________
Vince Tassone
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 498
Location: Cameron Park, California
Reply with quote
Editor wrote:
...Same thing with fascism, most people have no idea what it is (i.e., studied it, socio-economic system) or its origins other than equating it to Nazism. And I agree "neo-nazis" and "neo-fascists" are mostly an uncoordinated nutty bunch. If you read diplomatic letters between Germany and Italy up to and including WWII, Fascists and Nazis were not morons as they are often depicted today, but quiet rational and highly intelligent...

Hitler IMHO didn't establish Nazism rather elaborated upon it via Mein Kampf, must reading for anybody caring to crawl into The Monster's Mind, something I've yet to do BTW. Anton Drexler who'd founded NASDAP 100 years ago next month wasn't a rabid anti-Semite like Julius Streicher who with Hitler, Himmler et. al. incorporated racial eugenics still very much in vogue amongst supposed European & American social scientists during the early 1920s in with Drexler's et. al. socialist economic theories underpinning the forthcoming German National Socialist State. Hitler after 1925 became Nazism's chief salesman throughout Germany, prior to then NASDAP merely was another Southern German anti-Semitic political movement; Hitler was Nazism but still wonder if without him NASDAP would just been another European Fascist movement albeit a German Nationalist one - great fodder indeed for a thought-provoking YouTube video!

Retired In Kalifornia wrote:

Disney buying Lucasfilm guaranteed themselves a loyal fanbase to "buy" Star Wars

Editor wrote:
...yes and not sure why G.Lucas would have sold LucasFilm movies? He could have started his own film studio rivaling paramount and disney to some extent.

Over the years have read on the Internet why'd he'd sold Lucasfilm to Disney, should re-research it but Wikipedia says he'd wanted to retire from making blockbuster films ostensibly to devote himself to "...career on smaller, independently budgeted features..." beliving Disney "would protect Lucasfilm's legacy" though diehard Star Wars fans would argue they'd squandered it in "VII", "VIII" and "Solo".
View user's profileSend private messageFind all posts by Retired In Kalifornia
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 2028
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Reply with quote
I find it amusing when I read/watch about racism in the US, most folks in the US don't realize it's actually the least racist country in the world, if it were so bad why would be people risk life and limb to get into it - and by the millions. Just fond memories of the US and I was to all parts of it. If you want to see racism in force go to China, India (where its actively practiced and they export it too), Japan, Russia, Europe, Africa, South America and especially in the Middle East, all places I've been to. Race hustlers have taken advantage of the good nature of Americans who for the most part don't know any better.

_________________
Vince Tassone
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 498
Location: Cameron Park, California
Reply with quote
Editor wrote:
I find it amusing when I read/watch about racism in the US, most folks in the US don't realize it's actually the least racist country in the world, if it were so bad why would be people risk life and limb to get into it - and by the millions. Just fond memories of the US and I was to all parts of it. If you want to see racism in force go to China, India (where its actively practiced and they export it too), Japan, Russia, Europe, Africa, South America and especially in the Middle East, all places I've been to. Race hustlers have taken advantage of the good nature of Americans who for the most part don't know any better.

May agree most folks here don't know were least racist country; "Jim Crow" was outlawed two generations ago everywhere, California de facto housing segregation in urban areas particularly Los Angeles County largely disappeared by 1980 though "culturally persists" even in the Navy Blue Bay Area, Alameda County in particular. What ya'll see on Internet & TV is media reporting that "we're racists" is patent BS; I long ago lost all trust in U.S. Media, even some purported conservative ones, e.g. Wall Street Journal, barely tolerate FOX News though FOX Business Channel still is worth watching throughout the day except for Neil Cavuto, guy's a Never Trumper though denies being one that plus he mumbles when making "side comments". Bill O'Reilly flat just annoyed me, quit watching him last few years he was on FOX News.
View user's profileSend private messageFind all posts by Retired In Kalifornia
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 2028
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Reply with quote
Yes it does seem Cavuto is a never-trumper, but I think he tries too hard to strike a happy medium and in doing so comes off as neither a supporter nor antagonist, leaving no one happy. I remember the incident during the primaries that triggered Trump (a frequent guest of Cavuto's for decades) to boycott his show. Cavuto had Eric Trump on and he went at Trump pretty hard (I can't remember the details), Eric was taken aback and so was I watching the tape and I'm sure most viewers were too - cavuto had gone too far. I think Cavuto moderated the debates well with Maria Bartiromo, Bartiromo is a strong supporter of Trump and called it correctly to invest heavily in the markets if Trump won in 2016 (mainly because of deregulation and taxes, and even during the primaries she said he had the best approach to the economy) - I recall clearly Paul Krugman and many other economists predicting an economic/market catastrophe if Trump won. The thing they all missed (except Maria) was that Trump is not anti-trade as they claimed, but rather for fair-trade, something every american and canadian understands, although these so-called nobel prize laureates didn't.

_________________
Vince Tassone
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
Star Trek or Star Wars ?
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 7 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  

  
  
 Reply to topic  

Please contact me with any questions or suggestions