1/32 Pacific Coast Models Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
dennismcc
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Re: 1/32 Pacific Coast Models Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario

Post by dennismcc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:19 am

Some paint was pulled off as seen in the last photo, this was quickly touched up.
I worked on the undercarriage and was not impressed with the poor and vague fit of the parts so it was time to drill some holes, make some wheel spindles, pins and make some positive attachment points.
This is the result, though still needing some work to tidy it all up.
[imghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8948/cs5Lkm.jpg][/img]
It was now time for the rest of the markings these had to be decals as no masks were available.
I checked the decals next day and they all seem to be fine apart from the red fuselage 362, which was very silvered on the clear parts of the decals, as I did not having anything remotely like it in decals or masks I decided to take drastic action and go "old school".
Very carefully with a fine paintbrush and Mr Mark Softer I poked under the decal until eventually it came free, I then transferred it to some used decal paper.
Then using a new #11 blade I carefully cut away all the clear parts of the decal.
This was a bit tricky especially the curved inside parts of the numbers but eventually I finished them and re applied the decal numbers individually using lots of Mr Mark Softer

Cheers

Dennis

dennismcc
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by dennismcc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:34 am

Carrying on, you may have noticed the nice addition to my modelling tools, my Christmas present building stand, it's great, why did I not get one years ago.
Then I carried on with the rest of the decals, mostly stencils, this was not easy as the instruction were useless when it came to exactly where to position them and the illustrations only included one side of the fuselage.
However a superb build on LSP gave me the answer for most of them, I did manage to scratch the paint removing an errant piece of clear decal on the 6 and 2 of the fuselage numbers though this was an easy fix.
Next up came the prop and spinner, I pinned the prop blades to the hub then attached the spinner, this worked well.
The way of attaching the prop to the model was a bit flimsy so I used some plastic rod and drilled out the fuselage to match.

Off cycling now, more soon

Cheers

Dennis

dennismcc
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by dennismcc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:09 pm

More finishing touches and another mistake.
This is the exhausts painted with Humbrol H113 Matt Rust, I let this dry and then rub them with pencil lead to give a nice metallic colour.
I had test fitted the exhausts to the boxes that I had installed in the fuselage halves to allow me to fit the exhausts after completing the build, but sadly I did this without fitting the side plates, so when I tried to fit them into the fuselage openings they would not fit.
You can see the boxed off (white plastic) exhaust cut aways in the photo below.
So, I had to trim the fuselage openings, to allow me to fit the exhausts with the plates fitted.
Exhausts painted graphited and ready to go.
And fitted
And more prep work on the undercarriage, I fitted pegs to the undercarriage doors to hopefully get a more positive fit, the "hinges" were then painted silver.

Next the satin finish

Cheers

Dennis

dennismcc
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by dennismcc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:18 pm

It was time for the satin finish, for this I use Xtracolor XDSS Semi-Gloss Satin Varnish, I like to hold the model while I airbrush it, so I very carefully hold one wing tip and airbrushed away, let that dry and next day airbrush the wing tip that I was holding..
However, after the first airbrushing session I have to put the model on a shelf to dry so I need to improvise some undercarriage in this case I used cocktail sticks.
And now the final finishing touches, first up the undercarriage, this was a bit (a lot) fiddley.
And a shot on it's "Legs", the prop is only on loosely for effect.
Then my least favourite job, the aerial wire, I had already drilled a hole in the mast for the wire, and glued a fitting on the fin, so I glued the "wire" into the post before gluing the post into the fuselage, to get a stronger fit for the mast I drilled it and inserted some plastic rod as the kit locating pin was short and narrow.
The wire was then threaded through the tail fitting, a small metal tube was threaded onto the wire close to the fin, it should have been a spring but that was beyond me.

Cheers

Dennis

dennismcc
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by dennismcc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:26 pm

And it was finished at long last, well as done as it will ever be, being as the real thing was very new I just dulled it down a bit but had been building it that long that the exhaust stains and muddy boots area were left and it was hurried into the display cabinet.
I am very pleased with the end result and it sits proudly in my display cabinet with my other "masterpieces".

Cheers

Dennis

Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Vincent Fiore » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:30 am

Beautifully done, great job.

davenport49

Post by davenport49 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:28 am

beautiful work. very impressive. :thumbup:

dennismcc
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by dennismcc » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:38 am

Thanks you guys, a very satisfying build.

Chers

Dennis