PCM Macchi MC200 Camouflage scheme

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
dennismcc
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

PCM Macchi MC200 Camouflage scheme

Post by dennismcc » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:55 pm

Hi guys just checking as I seem to have conflicting information on the subject of my next build.
Below is my chosen subject, I want to build 364 Squadron red 7, the centre profile, are the colours correct?

Grigio Azzurro Chiarro 1 undersides.
Nocciola Chaiaro 4 uppers with Verde Oliva Scuro 2 patches.
As I go through the build there will bound to be more questions.

Cheers

Dennis

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PCM Macchi MC200 Camouflage scheme

Post by Editor » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:09 pm

That's a good question and a difficult one to answer. If you want a quick answer I think the colors in the instructions are correct.

Here's the long answer. We don't know the MM of this plane, but from the extended windscreen (the two thin rectangular glass panels aft of the windscreen), the plane is a late production machine built by Ambrosini (SAI). C.200s and C.202s were finished in both the early Serie Mimetica colors (until stocks were used up) and the Tavola X colors. Below two photos of C.200's finished in NC4+VOS2, the first was probably repainted after an overhaul, VOS2 is evident, and the second C.200 is from the factory, an SAI machine:

As a reference, below is a C.202 MM 7445, also built by SAI between Sept 1942 - June 1943 so we know this C.202 was finished in NC4+VOS2.

A color photo of a C.200 377-9 (SAI built) sitting nearby a C.202 wing, note the top surface color of the C.200 and the C.202 (Macchi built) wings (NC4).

Here's a lineup of C.200 wrecks, in the background is an Ambrosini C.200 next to a Breda C.200 NC4+VOS2 (also note Allied troops cut out the Savoy crests from every plane in this photo, for souvenirs.

364-7 has been discussed on this forum before, see the link below for photos and also see Jean's build in 1/48 as a general guide. btw Jean used the Serie Mimetica colors.

Macchi C.200 364-7

Note 364-7 lacks the fuselage fasces (don't use decal 9 in the PCM instructions), upper + lower wing fasces have a transparent background. As mentioned 364-7 is an Ambrosini machine so use the correct tail-cross as shown in the instruction profile, although the instructions are missing the decal (number) for this cross - don't use decal 13. Also note the white cross of Savoy 364-7 is missing the Savoy crest (in the middle of the white cross) on the real plane (decal 7 <-- don't use this decal). Check the decal sheet or you'll have to paint-on the Savoy cross yourself. Finally the Gigi Tre Osei unit badge is an early one with the bird wings that drift off the background disk at the edges. Mike Driskill points out that the prop blades on this machine were likely a light blue, see the Color guide for the FS number.

dennismcc
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by dennismcc » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:04 am

Thank you that was a really fast reply and very useful information, I had no idea of the aircraft's identity and no serial number to help with tracking it down.
It prompts some more questions for the build.
1. Cockpit colour: green or grey (GAC), for green I have seen FS34272 or FS34558 quoted and have the Humbrol Starmer mixes for both.
2. Wheel wells would they be green or the underside colour.
3. Undercarriage oleos (legs) aluminium or underside colour.
4 Inside of the undercarriage covers green or underside colours.
I have seen RLM65 quoted for the front of the propellor blades (black at back), it looks close to the colour in the photos that I have seen of real examples.

Thanks again

Cheers

Dennis

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

My 1/72nd Scale Build Of 364 - 7

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:43 pm

This of the ancient Revell USA or UK kit build c.2011 per SKYMODELS Decals painting instructions excised & enlarged off photo taken September 24, 2017. Obviously Mimetico didn't check whether should had been in Tavola X colors, no "investment loss" considering small scale & inaccurate moulding but if had been 1/48th or larger model would had been more than plenty upset having innaccurately painted it:

D520

Post by D520 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:33 am

I did it too, but the Italeri model is poor and ask for a lot of modifications. Cheers
ImageDSC_0003 by jean Barby, sur Flickr
ImageDSC_0008 by jean Barby, sur Flickr
ImageDSC_0006 by jean Barby, sur Flickr

RetiredInKalifornia

Very Nice Italeri Macchi C.200 Build...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:11 am

...Too bad I'd not routinely built larger than 1/72nd scale airplanes, never had storage space for anything larger considering I'd have dozens of builds on display where I'd lived alone or with my late folks house here in Cameron Park (person I'd sold it to on November 19, 2015 died on January 20th at age 94, not sure if her son will move in or sell it).

dennismcc
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by dennismcc » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:16 am

Both of those look great builds, I hope that mine will turn out as nice.

Cheers

Dennis