Reply to topic
Gwyneth Paltrow commits Career Suicide
ReiShikiSenGuy
Comandante di Squadriglia

Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

how about that, hollywood, the bulwark of intellectualism at it again, at least this time you could say gwyn paltrow didn't do the un-American thing and pick on some racial or ethnic group, no siree, she lumped 'all' americans together, she left no-one behind and went at it full bore ... strangely, Americans mustn't feel offended by such comparsions, indeed such comments paint a picture of the british as casual and uninspired in the matters of business, I got the impression from paltrows remarks she discovered some sort of british siesta ... if I were the British I'd evict her from her rented home

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Webmaster
ReiShikiSenGuy

Webmaster wrote:
... strangely, Americans mustn't feel offended by such comparsions, indeed such comments paint a picture of the british as casual or even uninspired in the matters of business, i got the impression from paltrows remarks that she discovered some sort of british siesta ...

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark! Very Happy

EXCELLENT point, Vince. I know that here, in the US, we have a bunch of overachivers, but most of us are genuinely trying to strike a good balance. It's tough, we see-saw a lot, but it's sort of hard to go too far one way or the other without feeling a bit guilty (unless you're a lazy bum who expects everyone to take care of you - OR - one of those overachieving workaholics who would slit your throat to get your promotion). But she seems to have not had dinner with regular American people in a long time... She thinks we're ALL like that? And THEN has the GALL to make a public statement that makes us look like that? Wow...

Well, I suppose I'll have to slow my work down a bt, make a little less money, and spend more time with my family. To afford that, I suppose I'll have to tighten the belt a bit... Let's see... I'll stop spending money on her movies...

What a back-stabbing [word not rated PG-13].

Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

it is galling as you say, the American public supported her in her career, she won an oscar, and then deceides to live in Europe and denigrate an entire nation through insensitive and reckless remarks ... she was probably drunk or on drugs and so the American public should expect an apology anytime soon as she soon realizes she won't have openings in the US any longer ... oh my, an early retriement plays havoc with the mind ... and add to that british anger who pride themselves on worldly matters and tough mindedness, being compared less favorably to anyone for that matter ... she'll soon be evicted i'm sure

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Webmaster
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

ReiShikiSenGuy wrote:
Well, I suppose I'll have to slow my work down a bt, make a little less money, and spend more time with my family. To afford that, I suppose I'll have to tighten the belt a bit... Let's see... I'll stop spending money on her movies...

What a back-stabbing [word not rated PG-13].

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Support Our Advertisers!
ReiShikiSenGuy

Vince, there are SO many self-defeatists here these days. There are people who act like they WANT the US to lose the war on terror, saying stuff like, "it'd serve 'em right. The US has been WAY too arrogant over the years." Ha, well, I guess so. *sigh*

Yes, we're pretty self-absorbed, but man, oh man... If they like it that little, then they need to vote or move or something. But, I've seen a few of these idiots around, and they refuse to vote, and they just STAY here, griping about how America is so messed up. Jeez, beatnik, MOVE ON... Just stop wasting my time whining about YOUR problems when you know you just have to get up and DO something to fix them. Ah - but it's easier to sit and whine. Bums.

I wish Hollywood would just clean itself up. Somebody gets a "swelled head" and makes some REALLY STUPID comments, they lose a big movie deal - and it makes the next generation of movie stars move up a slot.

Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Living in Canada and knowing that the US is our largest trading partner, and vice versa, and that our standard of living depends strongly on what happens just south of the border, it makes some of us nervous here when we see too much dissension down there about the war on terror ... not good. The real problem is democracy and an open society. An open society is vulnerable when it needs to attack ... look at this way, its difficult for a democracy to declare war in general, and almost impossible for one democracy to declare war on another. When the issues become clouded, democracies break down

Support Our Advertisers!
ReiShikiSenGuy

Vince, you're really right. When disaster strikes, you need a leader to step up and call the shots. In a democracy, you'll have a few too many saying, "Heyyyy, wait a minute... I just want to PAY someone to move sandbags FOR me, then I'll have a scapegoat when the sandbags aren't HIGH enough..." Some folks need to taste martial law for a week or so. They'd then appreciate what we have here. During WWII, there were censors EVERYWHERE. Not now.

Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

I absolutely agree and add to that uncensored media coverage of any war in a democracy and you have a loss of will to do what you need to ... and that's what's happening in the US

Support Our Advertisers!
ReiShikiSenGuy

Yeah - Democracies can only win wars if they can keep the will.

I hate it when candy-asses start second-guessing and armchair quarterbacking.

Gwyneth Paltrow commits Career Suicide