Fiat G-50 bis primer.

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
m.lacivita
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Fiat G-50 bis primer.

Post by m.lacivita » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:34 am

Stupid question...what color was the primer used on metal surfaces? and what on fabric covered surfaces?
TIA

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea

G50 Primer

Post by Rick » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:53 am

As reported in the chapter dedicated to camouflage on the site Stormo, the internal metal surfaces of G50 were painted in light grey, but we do not kwow the precise shade, before the introduction of Tavola 10 in autumn 1941; subsequently the communication n°147 and 148, which detailed the use of the colors introduced by Tavola 10, stated that all the internal parts have to be painted in Grigio azzurro chiaro;some dispositions , not dedicated to G50 in detail, request the use of transparent emailite (sorry I was not able to find the translation into English) for the fabric surfaces, so it is probable that the color was the one of the fabric surfaces.
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:25 pm

Rick has told you all you need. About the grey hue, you should go to Belgrade and examinate the only G.50 left in the world...

...or write to Srecko Bradic (www.letletlet-warplanes.com), a Serbian enthusiast and artist who, I believe, can help you.
In a speculative way, I thought, time ago, that the grey primer was a standard product widely used for industrial metal material, so I examined WWII contemporary metal furnitures, original bike paints, etc. All colours were in the FS range 36307 (Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1) to 36473, through 36231 and 36357... so take your own conclusions. A last word: original documents stated that in 1941 the undersides had to be painted in Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1 "yet in use". So it is very likely that 36307 had been used for interiors even before 1941.

Stefano

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by D520 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 am

Ciao stefano , ti spera bene. A presto, jean.

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:01 pm

Ciao, Jean

I hope all is good with you.
When will we see your next masterpiece? :D

Stefano

warhawk
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by warhawk » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:43 am

I'm not sure how much the machine in Belgrade would be helpful, since the colors are pretty worn and have probably shifted to a slightly different shade...
Also, the plane was repainted many times, since it had so many owners...

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:15 am

Perhaps you're right. Anyway, if the museum would (hopefully) decide to restore it, the paint will be scrapped and the various colour layers will appear, as happened, for instance, for MC 200 at Vigna di Valle. At present, I know that the FIAT is stored and not exposed, but some enthusiast had the opportunity to see and shot it (I downloaded the image above from a Serbian site - sorry, I don't remember which one). It's a pity that it had never been restored.

Apart this, for modellers' purpose, I think that painting the interiors in Grigio Azzurro Chiaro is not wrong, while there is no evidence they were in Verde Anticorrosione.

Stefano