Decent Clear Coats

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
Joseph
Comandante di Squadriglia

Decent Clear Coats

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Hello Vince and fellow model builders

Been out of action lately due to flu bug and having to be admitted to the VA hospital, but all is well now. Anyway, to the topic at-hand; what is a decent clear coat to spray on models with a flat paint scheme that will both seal decals and still not appear way too shiny? I've heard of people using floor waxes / clear coat liquids for floors but I've been skeptical of that. Any suggestions?
Also, hope nobody got caught-up in those record tornado storms. I've been through three tornadoes and two hurricanes in my life. All five experiences were not pleasant.

Joseph :shock:

Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Vincent Fiore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Joseph,
First you can apply the floor wax, apply decals, apply another clear coat to seal decals then apply semi gloss or flat coat to obtain desired sheen.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Apply a clear gloss to the area where you plan to apply the decal or to the entire kit. Then apply the decals using a setting solution. Once dry (over night) apply another coat of clear gloss and let dry. Then one or two coats of Polly Scale Clear Flat - this is the best stuff I've used since it completly removes the gloss and restores the orginal flat to a super-flat.

Joseph

Thanks

Post by Joseph » Mon May 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks guys for the clear-coat tips.
By the way; looks like paints and other hobby supplies will be going up along with the price of petrol.

Joseph