Fiat G.55 ANR interior colours

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
guglielminauk
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by guglielminauk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:15 am

I am in the process of starting building a late war Fiat G.55 PCM in 1/32.
There appear to be some divergence as to the actual original colour applied
to the aircraft interior during the wartime period.
Can somebody resolve this issue once and for all?
Guglielminauk

P.S. the example in Vigna di Valle is not totally original as it uses many G.59 parts.

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by Vincent Biondi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:02 am

Hello Guglielminauk,
According to what I have read in Colori e Schemi Mimetici della Regia aeronautica1935-1943, the colour is, Verde Anticorrosione
Anti-Corrosion Green FS34272.
Vincent.

guglielminauk

Post by guglielminauk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:20 am

According to other sources , ex FIAT employees and the Italian GAVS
the colour used is Tekital (a greenish yellow lighter but similar to zinc chromate)
Shall we have a poll?
guglielminauk

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:23 pm

Here is a picture of the G55 in the Vigna di Valle museum.
The colour looks to me like Anti-corrosion Green FS34272.
Vincent.
PS: A poll would be ideal!

<link no longer available>

guglielminauk

Post by guglielminauk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:32 pm

The flaps are those of a Fiat G.59, the G55 has different flaps, the aircraft at
Vigna di Valle is not really original.
What I am after is some documentation of the original wartime colours
as applied and specified by Fiat.
Thank you for your kind help
Guglielminauk

SteveEagle

Post by SteveEagle » Thu May 13, 2010 6:13 pm

There is another train of thought that the interior was in a grigio azzuro chiaro shade! How's that for confusing the issue? If you look at the Tavola X information on this site you will see where this comes from. I personally did my G-55 in the gray interior scheme. Whether this is ultimately correct, I don't know.

guglielminauk

Post by guglielminauk » Fri May 14, 2010 2:01 am

Thank you for your suggestion.
I have decided to go for a yellowish colour similar to the specimen
in Vigna di Valle.
I will try to post some photos of the interior once I know how to do it!!!
Guglielminauk

Starflyer
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Starflyer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Ciao Guglielminauk

if you or someone else are still interested about interior color, I can show you my experience about.

After long discussion with Italian modellers more expert than me I decided to give my interpretation about the original "Verde Anticorrosione" colour for interior of Fiat G-55.

At the end I mix Gunze Sangyo color you see in the following picture until I get same tone color of colour chip in the "Vitochart" I have in my archive.

See you soon
Davide Splendore

kuya
Pilota

Post by kuya » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:47 am

Interesting topic thanks for posting it wonder if anybody the mixing ratios

Doesn't Life-color has an exact match for interior color

Luftwoller
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Luftwoller » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:35 pm

When i built mine there was the post about a piece that was found that was painted a very similar colour to the American Zinc Chromate yellow. With all the scavenging of anything of use, i believe its very possible that the Italians could have procured some from somewhere....well thats what i thought anyhoo,
...Guy
'Your a disgrace to the male Genus, I'm ashamed to call myself Homo!'.......Hubert J Farnsworth (Futurama)

lananda

g55 colors

Post by lananda » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:59 am

There's an old discussion started on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:43 pm with subject: G55 INTERIOR COLORS.
Try to find it :D
ciao
ferdinando paron

modeldad
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by modeldad » Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 am

First it seems that the Vigna di Valle should not be used as a reference.

Some notes and the various interior greens.

lananda

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote

In my opinion the yellow color is improbable for the following reasons:
1-In any of the relics of shot down G-55 was found evidence of a yellow primer
2-the actual aircraft was rebuilt from a post-war G-59 and the traces of a yellow primer were found on this airframe;
3-the “Bollettino Tecnico informativo” dated October 1941 quotes 3 anticorrosive paints:
-yellow anticorrosive paint produced by CORTI
- grey anticorrosive paint produced by INVES
-green anticorrosive paint produced by Max-Meyer
4-while INVES was surely a FIAT paint supplier, I have no evidence (but I may be wrong) that CORTI and Max-Meyer were too;
Now the worms are running around…..
Ciao

lananda

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote

I have just received an email from Pierluigi Moncalvo with some very interesting notes.
I'll try to translate the contents in my poor english...
New evidences have almost overturned the situation, in particulary the fragments of the aircraft flown by Serg. Biagini.
Digging out the wrecks of this aircraft was found a piece of the canopy with traces of yellow paint near the opening handle.
Mr. Walter De Paoli, who directly examinated some fragments, says that:
-the fuselage interior was unpainted;
-the rear gear strut was painted grey-green similar to the german RLM 02
-the main frames , longherons and the wheel hubs were pained grey
-cockpit was painted yellow similar to zinch cromate
-propeller: a pale green (near to white) come out under the black coat
-engine: gloss black
-engine mounts: natural metal (alluminium)
-other parts of the airframe covering but not precisely indentified were painted light grey
These notes were intended to be an update to the article written by Moncalvo that i mentioned some days ago but in fact were never published on GMPAT website.
In conclusion (even though the word conclusion is quite inappropriate when talking of italian ww2 colors) the only certain thing is that there is no trace of “Verde Anticorrosione”in the cockpit of the G-55.
I'm sending to the webmaster the copy of the “Bollettino”.
Ciao

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

http://www.gmpat.it/

Notes Pierluigi Moncalvo

About the color type Zinc Chromate "assumed for airplanes Directed last period I would like to point out that the Technical Information Bulletin October 1941 mentions under the heading Product n ° 25 - anticorrosion paint for metal parts of airplanes: Yellow color to nitrocellulose spray, the company Corti, Milan. Color Green Pea, spraying, the company Max-Meyer, Milan. Color Gray, synthetic spray of Inves, Quattordio. Product n ° 16 is defined: antirust paint for fuselages in steel tubes. Color green, a synthetic jet, the company SIPA, Milan.
Then, according to the above, an anti-yellow paint would actually existed long before what is being said now.
-As in the writing indicates the presence of anti-yellowish transparent paint that would come to light during restoration work by the Fiat G.55 GAVS, I express some doubts on this and I note that in reality "G.55 "G.59 was built after the war, and with colors not necessarily in use during the conflict, moreover, be enough to check out the Fiat G.59 preserved in Vigna di Valle.
Mr. Joseph Sella GAVS insists on the color yellow for the interior of the Fiat G.55, but might well be confused with the immediate post-war production, when it was actually applied a coat of yellow primer. To counter the Saddle, there is Mr. Piergiorgio Sola, who is he took the tummy to go underground to retrieve the Fiat G.55 ANR in carmagnolese. They said it was totally at odds with the view of Yellow interior, having found no trace of scrap brought to the surface. The above is only to expose what has been collected, and without wishing to come to make certain assumptions.
Also in the text of the aforementioned bulletin, the only transparent paint, the other tenditela, is the product n ° 31 - Paint grassa colorless to finish in two versions: Colorless, greasy, brush the Company Duco, Milan. Transparent, slightly yellow in color, a brush, the Company SIPA, Milan.
Among the various colors mentioned in current days, not ever a name of the time: it is the color Havana.
I conclude, as can be recognized, that my viewing experience on the various historic Italian aircraft, or parts of these survivors now, I have never led to any shade of yellow, but color Verdino or Gray. I attach a couple of "finds" made of fragments of color taken from airplanes Reggiane. The fragment A, is quite at number of Federal Standar 34,241, while the B at 34,300. It is in both cases fragment taken from inside (cockpit, fuselage). The finding C refers to the color that was present on RE coloring Luftwaffe in 2002, before the attempted restoration. In fact, we see the two sides of the camouflage paint constituent external: the dark part corresponds to the FS 34052, and is obviously the green surface, while the light color is the primer that appears on the other side, answered enough to FS 34373, but this is more clear.

<image no longer available>

<image no longer available>
Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman