STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
The Original JSF- the Italian V/STOL FIAT G.95 ‘Resistenza’
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Hello All,
I just came upon this interesting bit of history as I surfed on the net.
Once again, Italian Aeronautics and the brilliant engineer Gabrielli were in the forefront of V/STOL technology.
Italy, along with Britain and Germany were all part of a NATO project to come up with a V/STOL aircraft in early 1961.
The result, the FIAT G.95!

This plane was being developed before the Hawker Harrier.

Attached are two links:

The story:
http://hushkit.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/sixties-superfighters-the-original-jsf-the-italian-vstol-g-95-resistenza/

The models and prototype:
http://www.modellismopiu.net/m+gallerie/main.php?g2_itemId=518009

Enjoy,
Vincent.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great investigative work as always Vince! That’s a great article. Hmm, lets see, the Supermarine Spitfire was influenced by the Macchi M39, the Hawker Harrier was influenced by the Fiat G.95, in fact both British planes look like copies of the Italian designs.

It’s a real pity that the Italians haven’t concentrated their efforts in designing their own aircraft, like the French.

Hi Vince, thanks.
After reading this article again, I wonder if Fiat had any political pressure to abandon the project from the Lockheed Corp.
Don't forget that at the time, in the early sixties, Fiat had just signed a huge contract with Lockheed to produce the F104 in Italy.
This would have meant, resources and money taken away from the F104 and put into the G.95 aircraft.
Too bad, it looked like a great plane and it could have put Italy in the forefront of aviation technology!
BTW, I like the US Marines livery!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vincent Biondi wrote:
... I wonder if Fiat had any political pressure to abandon the project from the Lockheed Corp.

Incredible but quite possible for the times and not far-fetched since this kind of pressure was used to cancel the Canadian Arrow (that we know to be fact).

As far as I can tell the Harrier looks like a copy of the G.95, the resemblance is more than passing.