STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Caproni 310 North Africa
Grahamb
Pilota

Hi,

after a long while I've got back to Italian subjects now that the delightful Caproni 310-311-313 series is being issued by Azur/Special Hobby. My 'favourite' Regia Aeronautica types. Harmless but attractive things.

One problem seems to be the scarcity of images of the Ca 310, especially in North Africa in 1940. I have the nice Misterkit decal set of RA emblems that includes that for 73 Gruppo, 127 Squadriglia at El Edem. This is seemingly placed on the fuselage where normally the faces badge or squadron code would be. Does anyone know of any images of these 1940 Ca310s (and Ca 311)? I have the Ali D'Italia on the 311-314 series.

Interesting that the continental scheme on the early 1940 production 311s shows two different treatments for the tail stripes and badge and a darker and more contrasting set of colours on the CAB production versus the Taliedo-produced airframes. Also, it looks very likely that the supposed 'desert scheme' of green splotches on a sand background is nothing of the sort and is an overspray of 'sabbia' on the continental 3-colour reticulation (a la Breda 65 in North Africa).

Cheers,

GrahamB
One photo
kippenhan
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Graham,
There is a photo of a Ca 310 from El Adem in the old Squadron book Regia Aeronautica 1940-1943 by Chris Shores. Unfortunately it only shows the front of the plane and the British Mk VI tank driving by it.
Mike K
311 question
kippenhan
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Graham,
Can you elaborate on you comments regarding the "supposed 'desert scheme' of green splotches on a sand background is nothing of the sort and is an overspray of 'sabbia' on the continental 3-colour reticulation (a la Breda 65 in North Africa). "

Do you have a photo of this aircraft? I'd be interested to learn more.

Mike
Grahamb
Pilota

Hi Mike,

yes thanks for the pointer about the photo - I have this and it is reproduced very often. It appears to be a 3-colour reticulation scheme but I've no information on whether this is a factory scheme or a SRAM/unit paint job. This is the problem - a dearth of info on the Ca.310, at least in English-language publications. Oh for an Ali D'Italia on the 309/310 series.

As for my interpretation of the 'desert' scheme, this is based on the two photos, one a Ca.311M, the other a C.311, on page 13 of the Ali d'Italia 24. The mottle shapes on the first (top photo) are consistent with sweeps of sand over the factory scheme - and if you look carefully you can still see two tones (bruno/marrone and verde) in the 'mottles'. On the lower photo the same effect and on the leading edge of the starboard wing there is still the dark border of the wrap-around factory scheme. It is the same type of in-theatre modification as seen on some of the Breda 65s. A lot easier and quicker than repainting the whole thing in sand then applying green mottles! It is also, by the way, the method by which the Heinkel 219 was painted - for years it was stated that this was intricately mottled RLM 75 on an RLM 76 base when it was blindingly obvious that it was a tight scribble of RLM76 over an RLM 75 base.

I'll keep looking for the 1940/41 Caproni 310/311 in North Africa, but there is a very nice article on the Ca.309 Ghibli in Aerofan No.62, showing the change from pre-war Bianco Avorio (?) painted aircraft to those up to 1942, in what may well be Nocciola Chiaro blotches over VOS base.

Best wishes,

Graham B
Caproni 310 North Africa
Grahamb
Pilota

Found another photo in my books - top photo on page 15 of La Ricognizione della Regia, by Daniele Lembo.

A Ca.310 taking off/landing near a Sm.79 in North Africa. Clearly post June 1940 with a broad tail cross, and a reticulated camouflage scheme. Unfortunately there are no discernible unit markings.

Cheers,

GrahamB
Caproni 310 North Africa