STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
About Visconti's Macchi C.202
jrlucero
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Hello guys!

I'm working on a Macchi C.202 for which I choose the scheme presented Massimello's Aces Book by Osprey for Adriano Visconti. This scheme sports the "Dare in Brocca" Insiginia, an adaptation of Beretta's own I suppose.

In the text about this C.202 they state that it was a Breda built Serie I used for reconnaissance. Do you have any information if it actually was a C.202RF (R – Ricognizione)? If so, what modifications are necessary to convert it? Does anyone have any photos of this actual aircraft?

Best regards!

José Lucero

Working on:
1/48 Fly Models Macchi M.5
1/48 Eduard Albatros D.V
1/48 Eduard Albatros D.III
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by jrlucero
D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Ola José! Probably a camera in the leading edge of the right wing, in MYHO! Take care.
jrlucero
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Hello Jean, I found a reference on Maurizio Di Terlizzi's excellent Aviolibri monograph.

For what I've managed to investigate, there where two types of recon equipment:

In the first type, the radio was removed and replaced with a vertical camera equipment. In Ali D'Italia's No.2 Macchi C.202 monograph it states that externally, the difference was mainly the absence of the radio mast. I suppose there would be a clear panel somewhere in the bottom where the camera would take pictures from.

The other type was a robot camera that was installed on the leading edge of the wing of the aircraft. A camera could be installed on either wing or both of them. Maurizio made an impressive model of Captain Ruspoli's Folgore fitted with the robot camera on the leading edge of the right wing.

I haven't found an actual photo of Visconti's C.202, so, as the profiles have a radio mast, I will make the camera on the leading edge of the right wing as Maurizio did.

Best regards!

Jose

José Lucero

Working on:
1/48 Eduard Albatros D.V
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by jrlucero
Stefano
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Hi José,

Images of that aircraft do exist, but I’m not sure it was a truly photo recon aircraft, nor it was actually flown by Adriano Visconti.
In his biography by Giuseppe Pesce and Giovanni Massimello (Adriano Visconti Asso di Guerra, Storia Militare, 1997, ISBN 88-85909-80-9) appeared the following image, where the caption stated: “Visconti aboard of a MC.202 of 86 squadriglia, equipped for photo recon duties”.

Two years later, in an article on RA and ANR aces on the magazine Aerofan no. 69, Apr-Jun 1999, the same Massimello published the following picture, clearly from the same sequence, and the caption: “Aboard of this C.202 is Cap. Pietro Calistri”.

Here are the portraits of Visconti (above) and Calistri (below)

Cap. Calistri was the CO of 76 squadriglia, the same of the then Tenente Visconti. The 86 squadriglia had two vertical camera-equipped MC.202s, one of which was MM 7712, but if they had the same device than the late MC.205RF, the radio should have missing.
There was a substantial difference between Robot leading edge movie cameras and vertical 30cm-window photo camera, as the first was used for propaganda documentations, sometimes as strike or combat camera, the second was used for strategic, high level images. Visconti trained in this duty so well that he was later charged to command the only MC.205RF-equipped unit, the 310 squadriglia.
No images or drawings of the vertical camera arrangement are known, but the descriptions of 205RF talk of a 30cm round hole in the bottom of the fuselage, soon behind the water cooler fairing, and covered internally by a sliding door.
Later, that aircraft, which previously belonged to 168 squadriglia as shown by the “1” before the white band covered with green paint, passed to 164 squadriglia, and we have a colour picture of it. Note that the green “worms” match exactly with the pictures above.

A couple of words on Cap. Calistri and the badge. After the Armistice, Cap. Calistri adhered to ANR. Caught with Benito Mussolini when trying to pass the border with Switzerland, he was murdered by Italian partisans (the same fate of Visconti!) as they believed he was the personal pilot of the Duce.
The logo comes from a stone in the residence of WWI aviator and poet Gabriele D’Annunzio (the same who led the Ansaldo SVA raid over Vienna), drawn by painter Guido Marussig.

The motto means “Hit the target” in Italian sailors’ jargon. Thanks to the friendship between D’Annunzio and the founder of the well-known weapons factory Beretta, it became also the logo of that firm.

Stefano
jrlucero
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Wow Stefano! Excellent information, that was just what I was looking for.

I won't do any special modifications to my model. I'll still do that scheme but now I know that there's no evidence that it was a Photo Recon aircraft and that it probably wasn't Visconti's at all but Calistri's. Maybe they shared it, who knows.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Jose

José Lucero

Working on:
1/48 Eduard Albatros D.V
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

When it comes to research, I don't know of anyone better than Stefano. Thank you Stefano, as always for your meticulous, thorough and accurate research!

kippenhan
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

It is interesting the compare the photos to the profile.

The unit/aircraft numbers are more compressed than in profile and not centered in the white band. And the unit emblem is not on the same horizontal as the airplane.

This illustrates how important it is to have photos rather than relying on profiles.

MikeK
About Visconti's Macchi C.202