STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Colour scheme of Dal Corradini's SM 79-II, 228-5, please?
elcejay
Pilota

Hello Stormo members,
This is my first post, having been an avid reader for a few months after having recently found the pleasure that is building and painting Italian WW2 aircraft kits.

I wish to say thank you for such a wonderful forum. The spirit of friendliness, helpfulness, respect and courtesy displayed in the posts are traits often lost on some other major modelling forums.

My question is, I hope, a simple one. I have seen Sir Ernie Hamilton Boyette's lovely painting of Dal Corradini's S-79 228-5 ( http://www.aviationartstore.com/pilot_Dal_Corradini_pay.htm). Is the aircraft in the E8 scheme shown in the index in Vince Tassone's excellent colour guide?

Regards,
Lindsay

emanuele
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

No information found for the 228-5 in the Osprey combat aircraft 106 and in the Storia militare dossier Aerosiluranti Italiani.

This are the information from the sprey volume:
32 Stormo AS
Another former S.79 bomber unit, converted to torpedo-bomber role on 1 May 1942.
Of its two sub-units only 89 Gruppo performed the role, however, 38
Gruppo continuing bomber operations.
The unit, S.84-equipped, was at Gioia del Colle, Apulia, by 28 May 1942. Through August 1942 89 Gruppo was first deployed at Villacidro, Sardinia, then its 229a Squadriglia alone returned to Gioia del Colle.
228a Squadriglia moved to Naples-Capodichino on 16 August 1942.
During November/December 1942 whole unit deployed in Sardinia at Milis and Alghero.
On 21 December 1942 89 Gruppo returned to Gioia del Colle then exchanged its S.84s (to 38 Gruppo) for S.79s (from 108 Gruppo),
becoming autonomous.
First half of 1943 89 Gruppo based in Sardinia.
In early January 1943 Stormo temporarily reconverted to bomber role, moving to Lecce along with 38 Gruppo. On 27 January 1943 the Stormo was deactivated.
On June 1943 89 Gruppo joined Rgpt AS at Siena-Ampugnano, but as of 8 August 1943 gruppo was disbanded.
(text posted for modelling discussion)

Sorry

BR

Emanuele
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Hello Elcejay,
According to my book Colours and Camos of the Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943, Corradini's plane is definetly, E8 scheme.
The Colours are Grigio Azzurro Chiaro1 (Light Blue Grey 1) over Verde Oliva Scuro 2 (Dark Olive Green 2), upper half of fuselage.
Grigio Azzuro Chiaro 1 (Light Blue Grey 1) lower half of fuselage.
Hopes this helps.
Vincent.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
emanuele
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Vincent,
the book is: "Umberto Postiglioni, Andrea Degl'Innocenti - Colori E Schemi Mimetici Della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943"?

BR

Emanuele
Vincent Biondi

Hi Emanuele,
Yes, that is correct.
The book is very well researched and is quite accurate with the colour patterns and camo schemes.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Colour scheme of Dal Corradini's SM 79-II, 228-5, please?