STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Interior colour of early SM82 Canguro
Oban18
Pilota

Hi there,
i want to build the Italeri Kit of this big Cargo Plane (the german scheme A)as a part of a loading scene at Heraklion.

I have gathered a lot of Material about this type but i am a little bit confused about the Interior Painting as suggested by Italeri.
The Canguro had a nearly full fabric covered Fuselage on both sides.
Italeri says that even the Fabric covered Insides should be painted in " Verde Anticorrosione". I know that many Modelers did this with other italian Kits like the Pipistrello or the Marsupiale.
But why should someone paint the inner sides of a fabric material with anticorrosive colour?
I found a photograph in the Ali D' Italia No 14 that reinforces my doubts!

For me there is a significant Contrast between the Tubeframes the perforated steel plates and the inside walls of the Cargo Area.
Because there are no informations about the time and what plane exactly was pictured there, its hard to make a decision.
The preserved Machine described in the booklet that comes with the kit is not the best reference in my opinion.

It would be very kind if someone here could give me an advise.
Perhaps there is material about this specific point, that i haven't found yet.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Best Regards
Daniel
Stefano
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

You're right! Watch the actual S.82 preserved in Aeronautica Militare museum at Vigna di Valle, near Rome:

(pictures by Maurizio Moscatelli. Other interesting images by VdV museum are here: http://aerei-italiani.blogspot.it/2007/12/le-foto-di-maurizzio-moscatelli-vigna.html)

The 'everywhere interior green' in RA Aircraft is a myth. It was used by some factories which built all-metal aircraft, like Macchi or Reggiane, but the standard interior colour in RA was light grey or light blue-grey, depending on the product. Some particulars like the steelplates were left natural metal. Later in the war, and postwar, Reggiane for instance used the Verde Anticorrosione also as general paint for interiors, as in the S.79 in the same museum, which was built under license by that firm. In late periods, other anti-corrosion paints were introduced, like the Tekital that's nothing other the Zinc Chromate Yellow (see the FIAT G.55). But for your specific question I think that the images above talk by themselves.
Stefano
Oban18
Pilota

Hi Stefano,

thank you for your help. And i assumed something that way.
The steellplates bare natural and the inner sides of the Fabric something old white or natural cloth alike.
And even if it was just in consideration of weight, to not put colour on areas where it was not necessary.

Thank you also for the link and the other pictures i did not knew.

Pictures of the Vigna machine are also in the booklet that comes with the Marsupiale kit.
But as far as i know this is a postwar version an a later built of the type.
Nevertheless I now decided to just paint the Cockpit section and the tubeframes in AC-Green. The steelplates bare metal and the visual innersides
of the fabric cover in linen or light fawn.

Thank you an happy modelling
Best regards
Daniel
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you Stefano.