STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Italian officer in East Africa
Dave
Pilota

My father was with 41 Squadron SAAF in East Africa during WW2. I have found a photo of an Italian officer in his photo album. On the reverse side of the photo is a message in Italian. If anyone is interested in this photo and message please contact me or alternatively, you can find the photo on this site at locations 28 and 29: http://saafww2pilots3.yolasite.com/lukie-berchowitz-photographs.php . I would be grateful to know the english translation of the message and also if anyone would be able to identify the officer.

Thank you in anticipation

Site Admin
Site Admin

The top portion says: to my dear friend, with affection, my photo for your kindness shown to me.

I couldn't make out the last sentence although I asked Stefano if he would look at it. Its basically a gift (photo) for your father's kindness.

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Webmaster
Stefano
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Hi Dave,
Thanks for sharing your pictures, they're extremely interesting and precious for historical researchers. Every photo has got a story behind and I'd like to tell some in the future.
The Italian guy was 1 Aviere autista (1st Airman, driver) Costantino Guadagni, born in Angiari (Arezzo, Tuscany) in 1918.
The dedication reads:

To a close friend with affection, I give my portait for the kindness he did to me. A souvenir of our acquaintance.
Jimma, on 29-7-41
Costantino Guadagni, as a prisoner in Jimma

Though 'only' an airman, Guadagni was awarded in 1944 with a Croce di Guerra (War Cross) for a pair of combat episodes on 6 April 1941. The Cross was changed into a Medaglia di Bronzo al Valor Militare (Bronze Medal -yes, just like as the Olympics- to Military Valour) in 1949.

Stefano
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grande grazie Stefano, as always for your thorough responses.

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Webmaster
JeffZ
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

East Africa was one of the few places during WWII where chivalry was on display from beginning to end of the conflict, from both sides.
Dave
Pilota

Thank you so much for your responses. This allows me to fill in some gaps from stories that I heard from my father. You might find my attempt to understand his personal experiences of interest. Please link here: http://saafww2pilots3.yolasite.com/lukie-berchowitz-story.php

With very best regards,

Dave