STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Curtiss P-40 An400 captured by Regia Aeronautica
orville59
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

A long time ago in this same place, I introduced a question about the unique Curtiss P-40 Tomahawk IIb captured by the Regia Aeronautica in North Africa. Only a photograph of the tail is known and part of the fuselage if its number of registration is observed, This was AN400. And this photograph appeared published in the Ali Dltalia "Prede di Guerra", with a vague information on the airplane.
At that time, before my request the response was 0 (zero), which showed that there is little about this aircraft.
It is at that moment that I began to investigate.
The first thing I found was a Michele Rauss model, where it was historically argued that it was in North Africa in 1941 and belonged to SAAF's 40 squadron. But there were some things that did not close, especially the date dated June 1, 1941.
At that time, the SAAF 4 squadron did not have P-40, they did it in October of that year, inasmuch as the machine in question AN400 was delivered to the Squadron in October 1941, being in service until June 1942.
 Its registration in the squadron was KJ-V and at least 2 times it was flown by the Lieutenant Graham Harford Kaufmann (Kaufie) one 13 of June of 1942 (where it shot down one Me 109 F) and another 18 of June of 1942 , at that moment I operate from the Airfield Gambut II (LG 105). On June 28, 1942, with the withdrawal of the British Army, after the defeat of Tobruk, the 4 squadron retires, with all its material to the airfield El Daba (LG 105) where it leaves the AN400, since from that moment the new Kittyhawk would begin to operate, is in that when it is found by the Regia Aeronautica, where it is captured, erased its identifications and painted the Cross of Savoy and the white flag of the fuselage that is observed in the photograph. Well the most difficult thing would be to know what happened from there on, but that's another story.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Raul, very interesting research regarding AN400. You'd think the serial number of this plane would have been well documented by the Allies. Thanks for sharing this information.

Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Holla Vince, the number clearly belongs to the SAAF, from your files extract the text.

Salutti Raul
Curtiss P-40 An400 captured by Regia Aeronautica