STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 1/32
AlexM
Pilota

Hello there,

here are some pictures of my SM.79 in 1/32, which I finished about three years ago.

Itís a vacuform kit by Tigger Models, which just offers the "hollow shell" of the main parts (what is of course mentioned on the website of Tigger Models). So I had to do the whole interior and landing gear (mostly with Evergreen cards and profiles), get some resin engines (Bristol Pegasus/Alfa Romeo 126C43 by Vector) and create my own decals. The guns (Breda-SAFAT machine guns on the real thing) are a mixture of Browning M2 from CMK and parts of my spare box. The tail wheel and the propellers came from my spare box, too.

The vacuformed main wheels and the two-part engine cowlings from the kit were not usable. The engine cowlings of the finished model were partly made from covers of deodorants Very Happy

The forward part of the cowlings were 3D-printed, as well as the main wheels. The exhausts are made from a styrene sprue.

Beside the wheels and cowlings, the kit parts were really OK, although I had to use tons of putty. So, here we go:

Cheers
Alex
sandokan
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Wow Alex! What a great job you made!!!!!
Congrats it is a nice model, I imagine what hard work from the vacu.
The camo is splendid in rendering!
You kept the goal!!
cheers
Tiberio
triumph
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Yes indeed an excellent result on the vacuform kit. All the extra work you had to do to makeup for the kits shortcomings is why I don't go near vacuform, very well done
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great work Alex, please send in a short article for the Gallery. Thanks for posting.

Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Lovely work !
AlexM
Pilota

Thanks! It was definitly time-consuming, but also satisfying to see the final result. And by building such a vacurform beast, you'll learn al lot that can be usefull even for "conventional" kits.
Now, HPH models from the Czech Republic have announced a resin kit of the SM.79 in 1/32. But I don't even dare to think about what that kit might cost once released Very Happy

http://www.hphmodels.cz/hph/sm-79-sparviero-132-scale/?lang=en[/url]
Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 1/32