STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Fiat G 50 Finish Air Force
orville59
Comandante di Squadriglia

A little while ago I started researching the Fiat G 50, and as I have one of Flying machines I decided to start it. It was between two possibilities, the first a Fiat G 50 OR and second one of the Finish Air force, the choice fell on the second, but I automatically encountered a dilemma since I can not find out by any means what kind of drift unit ( Tail) took this airplane, this was high or low.
                                         His registration is MM 4941 and was of third series built by CAMSA, for more that looks for photos and plans, I can not elucidate said search. His enrollment in FAF was FA-21.
If someone has this information I would appreciate it.

Raul Wright
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Webmaster
orville59

Thank you Vince, obviously the tail is short, without further discussion. Now I am in the middle of superdetailing the FIAT A 74 RC 38 engine (another problem) but I think I can solve it. Thanks again. Raul.
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Send in photos of your build!

btw the short tail was retrofitted to early G.50s because of flutter. The Finns liked the G.50.

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Webmaster
orville59

It was always my idea to send you the photographs of my models (Beaufighter-Re 2000 prima series-Hurricane-Fiat Cr 42 DB), but I do not know how to do it (I am very limited in computer tasks, although my wife is licensed in computer science, I always maintain that computers are rare people), as soon as I solve this problem I will send you the step by step of the Fiat G 50.
As for what the Finns loved? If they loved the Buffaloes, why would not they love the G50, a hug Raul.
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Finns actually operated the Model 239 which was a far better plane than the Buffalo and its other derivatives. Some top scoring Finnish aces operated the G.50 almost exclusively (got the majority of their kills flying it) during the Winter War and even when hostilities began again in July 1941 (88 kills for the loss of 2 Fiats in combat). btw interestingly Finnish pilots preferred open cockpits instead of closed cockpits; a similar preference expressed by RA pilots that puts to rest criticism of the plane that pointed to the unsuitability of the G.50 on the Eastern Front because of its "cold" open cockpit. I guess the Finns had something to say about that which seems to have gone unrecorded. Only a handful of 239s actually arrived before the Winter War ended and during initial test flights, the Finns compared it to the G.50 (the standard) - the high-esteem they held the G.50 in.

Yes, please send in your work!

Support Our Advertisers!
orville59

Vince: Since we are talking about the FIAT G 50, you could clear some doubts, these are: the front face of the prop, is aluminun or light blue-gray? the interior of the cockpit is green anticorrosion or light gray? I would be grateful if you, or someone can help me.

Thank you Raul.
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Raul,
Fiat interiors GAC1 see the Color Guide under Aircraft Interiors (link below) and read the Note from Riccardo Trotta:

Color Guide: Aircraft Interiors

Front face of props light blue, see Jean's G.50 - a good example:

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/FIATG50/JBarby_AldoBuvoli/FIATG50_JB_1a.html

35 G.50s were sent to Finland, taken from the CMASA 1a Serie batch ordered by the RA (MM.3599-3614) and the balance from the 2a Serie. I'm not sure the extent of field work performed by the Finns, although the planes received new prop hubs, retrofitted rudders (as already mentioned) and skis. These planes were in constant use up to 1944.

Support Our Advertisers!
orville59

Thanks Vince: I have read both articles, and my doubt is solved, regarding FA 21 I found 4 photos, the first in "FIAT G 50" by Pawel Babinski and the other 3 in "Finish Air Force colors 1939-1944" by Kari Stennan where you can clearly see that the tail is short (from the series sent by the RA) the hub of the prop has been changed, and the camo part RA part FAF.
Now I am fried to build the interior where the Breda Safat 12.5 were located but there is little information, I have the maintenance manual, which I found on the page of the Plastic Ravena Modeling Club, but this is not complete.

We'll be in touch, do not forget to tell me how I upload the photos of my models, to Stormo. Raul
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Raul, email me your photos and I'll post them for you.

Support Our Advertisers!
Fiat G 50 Finish Air Force