STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes I'd like a short article for the Gallery.

Generale di Brigata Aerea

Editor wrote:
Yes I'd like a short article for the Gallery.
Will compose one when the second BR.20M is done towards month's end.

Today sprayed top camouflage on second BR.20M, here's photo of the build so far:

Tomorrow will mask for spraying undersides. Will mix Humbrol 140 Flat Gull Grey + 36% Testors Flat White to approximate Grigio Mimetico per the IPMS-Italy Regia Aeronautica Italia Color Chart published many years ago, my chief reference given can obtain Humbrol paint easier than other maker's color approximations.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Absolutely beautiful!

Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Great job.
Retired In Kalifornia

Editor wrote:
Absolutely beautiful!
Arditi1961 wrote:
Great job.
Thank you. Fuselage & Nose Turret "cap" undersides painted Humbrol 140 + 36% Testors Flat White Grigio Mimetico approximation today, masking took some doing. Also extended green & maroon top camouflage pattern bit more below Mainwing leading edges, wasn't far enough prior to spraying undersides Grigio Mimetico.

Tomorrow will receive the BroPlan Caproni Ca.316 vacuform kit from Aviation Megastore, cost U.S. $76.03 - ugh! - last one they had in stock, thought I'd never find one! Last November bought a BroPlan CANT Z.1007 Asso vacuform from them, cost U.S. $89.35 - bigger ugh! - they still have one left in stock, will keep eye on it. I hate doing vacuforms but no choice given they're unusual - and very rare - Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI) build subjects.

It will be years till I'll get to building them, two dozen-plus RAI builds come before; Italian Kits SM.89, SEM Model Savoia-Marchetti S.73 Supermodel (Italeri) S.81 conversion comes right after building the Italeri BR.20M, going to take a good awhile to build both.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

You have a taste for the exotic Smile All great subjects to build!

Editor wrote:
You have a taste for the exotic Smile All great subjects to build!
Here's photos of the kits:

Nice crisp form lines, hopefully won't be nightmares to build!
"What If" Aeronautica Macchi C.202 Variants
Retired In Kalifornia

The Aeronautica Macchi C.202 was WWII Italy's best interceptor fighter produced in quantity - at least 1,070 produced - though better Italian interceptors appeared later in the war albeit in far smaller quantities.

In July 1939 the Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI) requested Officine Meccaniche Reggiane SpA to redesign their Re.2000 to accommodate the German Daimler-Benz DB 601Aa engine as the Re.2001; in November 1939 Alfa Romeo acquired a license to produce the DB 601Aa as the RA.1000 R.C.41-I Monsone for the Re.2001 well as for other Italian aircraft, Aeronautica Macchi meantime independently acquired its own DB 601Aa for what would become the C.202 as a private venture.

Based on the Fiat A.74 R.C.38 14-cylinder air-cooled radial engine powered Macchi C.200 designed by Mario Castoldi (1888 - 1968), the prototype MM.336 first flying on December 24, 1937, Castoldi in January 1940 began design work on mating the C.200 wings, landing gear, vertical & horizontal tail units to a new fuselage incorporating the DB 601Aa, construction of the sole prototype MM.495 commencing shortly thereafter first flying on August 10, 1940.

From the time of the C.200's first flight in 1937 Castoldi later in competition with Re.2000 designers Roberto Longhi & Antonio Alessio had wanted to power their aircraft with in-line engines. Few indigenous Italian in-line aero engines in the late 1930s produced over 1,000 horsepower so because of inadequate Italian aero engine production capacity never mind intransigence by RAI leadership, Chief of Staff Giuseppe Valle (1886-1975) in particular, years of development opportunity was lost. For "What If" purposes here its assumed the RAI soon after the C.200's first flight would lend priority in getting Italy's first fully modern in-line engine powered monoplane interceptor flying by early 1939 to favorably compete against British Hawker Hurricanes & Supermarine Spitfires operating in the Mediterranean & North Africa by 1940 instead of relying on obsolescent FIAT CR.42s, G.50s & Macchi C.200s.

Below are selected photos of my "What If" builds of 1/72 scale, 1963-vintage FROG Macchi C.202 kits incorporating four Breda-SAFAT 12.7 mm fuselage-mounted machine guns arranged ala the 1943 Macchi C.205N-1 as base armament, some fitted with extra machine guns, 150 kg bombs, German Waffenfabrik Mauser MG-151 15 mm guns in underwing pods:

"Mid-1940" Interceptors & Fighter-Bombers

"Late 1940" North African Fighter-Bomber

"1941" Six Breda-SAFAT Machine Gun Night Fighter

"1942 Russian Front Ground Assault" With MG 151 15 mm Underwing Pod Guns

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love these what-ifs and so distinctly frog Smile! Great work!

Site Admin
Site Admin

The caccia noturna with underwing searchlight looks awesome. The Fiat CR42 CN carried its underwing pod on the port side only.

Editor wrote:
I love these what-ifs and so distinctly frog Smile! Great work!
Am glad y'all like them, was reluctant to post them not knowing if I'd be taken to task exhibiting my "What If" Regia Aeronautica Italia model renderings. I have additional photos of the "1941" Night Fighter & "1942 Russian Front Assault" models, may post them later.

I'd originally posted photos & "back histories" of these What-Ifs on the FineScale Modeler forum, got number of favorable comments, I'd asked my account there be closed over a disputes with a forum member so except for a few Internet WebCrawler photos all the information was unceremoniously withdrawn. I've also posted the photos on the U.K. Secret Projects website, got several views but no comments about them.

Work on my second FIAT BR.20M is moving along, should have it done by this weekend. Please let me know how to contact you so can e-mail photos & commentary about the two BR.20s am building for posting on STORMO!

Thanks - Richard
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

"The caccia noturna with underwing searchlight looks awesome. The Fiat CR42 CN carried its underwing pod on the port side."
Definitely, my favorite scheme!
Again, great job!!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Retired In Kalifornia

Editor wrote:
The caccia noturna with underwing searchlight looks awesome. The Fiat CR42 CN carried its underwing pod on the port side only.

Vincent Biondi wrote:
"The caccia noturna with underwing searchlight looks awesome. The Fiat CR42 CN carried its underwing pod on the port side."
Definitely, my favorite scheme!
Again, great job!!
Thank you! Thought CR.42CNs had searchlight pods under both wings, all my models have them under both per photos but did see wartime photo of an all-black CN with one port side pod, maybe didn't have enough of them or found after operational use only needed one.

Noticed I'd kept pre-war Tri-Color rudders well as no white belly band, did have "Luftwaffe" style yellow band & underside wingtips for the Russian Front Assault aircraft. Note also its the 355 Squadrigila commander's aircraft assigned to the 21st Gruppo Automono, Chris Dunning's "Courage Alone" book says 355 was assigned to 21 Gruppo in 1941 then 24 Gruppo from November that year on, assumed it continued on with 21 into Russia.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Retired In Kalifornia wrote:

Work on my second FIAT BR.20M is moving along, should have it done by this weekend. Please let me know how to contact you so can e-mail photos & commentary about the two BR.20s am building for posting on STORMO!

Thanks - Richard

Looking forward to your BR.20M it'll be a great addition to the Gallery. You can email your work to stormo@stormomagazine.com.

Editor wrote:
Retired In Kalifornia wrote:

Thanks - Richard

Looking forward to your BR.20M it'll be a great addition to the Gallery. You can email your work to stormo@stormomagazine.com.
Thanks! Will compose the commentary after completing the build, will try not to be too wordy!
RIK's 1/72 Scale Italian Aircraft Model Collection