STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Wanted: Italeri Savoia Marchetti S.81 Kit No.1283
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Need Italeri Kit No.1283 Savoia Marchetti S.81 for a SEM Model Savoia Marchetti S.73 resin kit conversion.

Thought the "standard" SUPERMODEL Savoia Marchetti S.81 kit sufficed but doesn't have Gnome-Rhône 14K Mistral Major cowling & associated parts this kit does. Supposedly there is - or was - a conversion kit ala SEM Model's that has 14K parts for a Czech S.73 but don't want to cut off another leg to buy it so praying somebody has an Italeri kit they'll be willing to part with.

Please post a reply so can make contact on acquiring a kit - thanks!
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

With IT1283 you can build all three production versions: the Alfa Romeo 125, the Piaggio P.X and the Gnome-Rhone K.14. The cowling was the same for the P.X and the K.14 except for the underside radiators and the cylinder fairings. The Itaelri kit and the Supermodel kit are not the same kits. As you mentioned you can't build the K.14 with the Supermodel kit and the Supermodel kit has raised panel lines, although its still quiet a nice kit for its age. The confusion with most modelers (not you Richard) in regard to the availability of the K.14 in the Italeri kit arises from the instructions (in the description) provided with the Italeri kit which only refers to the Alfa 125 and Piaggio P.Xs - there's no mention of the K.14s anywhere. Its a real pity because the instructions are really well done (and do show schematically how to assemble and install the K.14s) but whomever wrote them didn't know much about the plane and likely referred to the Supermodel Instructions only. Decals in the Italeri kit are for 2 x K.14s and 4 x Alfa 125s. The Italeri kit is a new tooling with beautifully scribed lines and soft gray plastic - its a modern kit. I'm surprised I haven't seen one built-up, we don't even have one in the Gallery (we have 2 Supdermodel kits)! It's a gorgeous kit. On this rare occasion I actually kept one for myself instead of selling it off (like I usually do - expecting to get more). My records show I ordered 10, I sold out in 2 yrs, I couldn't get any more and I found my only copy in a dusty corner! Did you try ebay?

I have an eBay account so frequently go there to check on kit availabilities, this kit isn't so been scouring the Internet to find one last couple days. There is a Danish website claiming to have one in stock but can't get past the "Shopping Basket" to finish processing, believe they don't have one either sadly. I'd waited years to get other model kits so right now no biggie if I can't get this kit right away, just hoping meantime a website visitor/member will take pity, part with one.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Italeri used to do large production runs of their kits but they haven't done that with their new kits circa 2000. The same thing happened with the Italeri 1/48 C.200, I ordered more than 10 and I very quickly sold out (less than a year) thinking I would get more and to-date I don't even have one for myself and I would have to spend twice on ebay to get what I had for less than 1/2 the price I got them from the distributors. It seems like the market knows ahead of time that there'd a limited number produced and scoop them up quickly.

If you can't find 1283 let me know and we'll work something out, but keep an eye out on ebay.

I'll keep watching eBay. Won't get to the SEM Models S.73 conversion till late this year now, after my second and last SUPERMODEL S.81 build four Italeri S.79s are in line, they'll take till August to complete, two Xotic-72 SM.84s follow.
fabrizio_1960
Pilota

I intervene to make some clarifications. The S.73 CSA had installed the Walter Pegasus IIM2 that are comparable to the Alfa 125.
The S.73s equipped with the G.R. K14 were those of the Belgian SABENA.
That said, if you write me at sem_model@libero.it I can willingly provide the engines only, of course there will also be to pay shipping costs.
Retired In Kalifornia

fabrizio_1960 wrote:
I intervene to make some clarifications. The S.73 CSA had installed the Walter Pegasus IIM2 that are comparable to the Alfa 125.
The S.73s equipped with the G.R. K14 were those of the Belgian SABENA.
That said, if you write me at sem_model@libero.it I can willingly provide the engines only, of course there will also be to pay shipping costs.
Fabrizio, thanks for the offer, glad you came in here!

Are the retooled Italeri 1283 S.81 kit Gnome et Rhône K14 engines & cowlings similar to what you have available? More importantly, can parts from the old SUPERMODEL S.81 kit join with your SEM Model S.73 conversion parts? I need to know this in case I "never" can get another Italeri S.81 kit as called for in the SEM Model S.73 kit instructions.

I'm not persnickety on absolute accuracy building the S.73 conversion, just need to know if SUPERMODEL S.81 kit parts suffice in accomplishing it.
fabrizio_1960
Pilota

Retired In Kalifornia wrote:

Are the retooled Italeri 1283 S.81 kit Gnome et Rhône K14 engines & cowlings similar to what you have available?

No, see: http://www.semmodel.altervista.org/immagini/s73/s73_sabena_pezzi.jpg

More importantly, can parts from the old SUPERMODEL S.81 kit join with your SEM Model S.73 conversion parts? I'm not persnickety on absolute accuracy building the S.73 conversion, just need to know if SUPERMODEL S.81 kit parts suffice in accomplishing it.

Yes, just some little adjustements are needed

I need to know this in case I "never" can get another Italeri S.81 kit as called for in the SEM Model S.73 kit instructions.

If you are not in a hurry you can wait for Italeri's reissue planned 2018 see page 4 http://www.italeri.com/imgup/Preview%202018.pdf

Ciao! Wink
Retired In Kalifornia

fabrizio_1960 wrote:

Are the retooled Italeri 1283 S.81 kit Gnome et Rhône K14 engines & cowlings similar to what you have available?

No, see: http://www.semmodel.altervista.org/immagini/s73/s73_sabena_pezzi.jpg

More importantly, can parts from the old SUPERMODEL S.81 kit join with your SEM Model S.73 conversion parts? I'm not persnickety on absolute accuracy building the S.73 conversion, just need to know if SUPERMODEL S.81 kit parts suffice in accomplishing it.

Yes, just some little adjustements are needed

I need to know this in case I "never" can get another Italeri S.81 kit as called for in the SEM Model S.73 kit instructions.

If you are not in a hurry you can wait for Italeri's reissue planned 2018 see page 4 http://www.italeri.com/imgup/Preview%202018.pdf

Ciao! Wink
Thanks for all the info Fabrizio! Am noting the S.81 rerelease has a new Kit Number 1388:

DO wonder if that means they'd "improved" upon the kit or just a new decal sheet. I'll wait to buy the new S.81 kit when it comes available; am sure folks here on STORMO will post messages on it being available at various Internet hobby sales websites, I'll be looking for it as well.

As another note: Italeri seems to change modeling subject Kit Numbers somewhat frequently, Revell USA fifty years ago did that with three of their subjects, International Model Aircraft Ltd a.k.a. FROG did so even more than Italeri. Were blessed with the Internet having number of web pages documenting these changes along with print publications number of which I have in my library.
Arditi1961
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

I like the box art of 1283 better than 1388, I hope its not the old Supermodel kit. Mostly likely a rebox of 1283 with new decals.
Retired In Kalifornia

Arditi1961 wrote:
I like the box art of 1283 better than 1388, I hope its not the old Supermodel kit. Mostly likely a rebox of 1283 with new decals.
Definitely won't be the 1973-vintage Supemodel kit, do suspect Italeri Kit 1283 has new decals but maybe they'd reintroduced Piaggio P.X/XI cowlings so modelers could build any S.81 engine version, even might have reintroduced torpedoes. I'd also hope they'd included most of the main landing gear options: spatted, semi-spatted, bare wheels.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

The original Supermodel kit was pretty nice, so it wouldn't be surprised if Italeri released it again. But funny you should mention it, because the dimensions for 1388 are 25.5cm while 1283 is 24.7cm, so it could very well be the original Supermodel kit. If the decals are different I would imagine the P.X machines are covered in this release because none were provided in 1283.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Arditi1961 wrote:
Definitely won't be the 1973-vintage Supemodel kit, do suspect Italeri Kit 1283 has new decals but maybe they'd reintroduced Piaggio P.X/XI cowlings so modeler could build all S.81 engine versions.

You can still do a P.X machine with 1283, all the parts are there except (and no assembly instructions - you can use the supermodel instructions for the P.X) there's no decals. You would need an aftermarket sheet.

Editor wrote:
The original Supermodel kit was pretty nice, so it wouldn't be surprised if Italeri released it again. But funny you should mention it, because the dimensions for 1388 are 25.5cm while 1283 is 24.7cm, so it could very well be the original Supermodel kit. If the decals are different I would imagine the P.X machines are covered in this release because none were provided in 1283.
Well, maybe I'll have to drop "definitely", buy why would Italeri reintroduce the old kit given it not as accurate ala 1283? Puzzling...I've built several Czech kits with extra parts not identified in kit instructions so can't get after Italeri not including P.X engine part assembly instructions.

By the way; finished painting red Anti-Camouflage stripes on my Piaggio P.X SUPERMODEL S.81 build today, took some doing despite painting mostly on smooth main wing surfaces. Gluing them on the fuselage also will take some doing, one of several reasons the kit isn't one of my favorites, still have one complete kit left to build however, work on it comes next.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Editor wrote:
Well, maybe I'll have to drop "definitely", buy why would Italeri reintroduce the old kit given it not as accurate ala 1283? Puzzling...I've built several Czech kits with extra parts not identified in kit instructions so can't get after Italeri not including P.X engine part assembly instructions.

Italeri has re-released many old Esci and Italaeri kits, with raised panel lines, but I think you're right, it wouldn't make sense to do that given the quality of 1283 and the dimensions are probably the difference between the Alfa 125 and the P.X, although the box of 1283 indicates the K.14 at 24.7cm, which should be the same length as the P.X.