STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Aldo Buvoli 378 sqn Lybia
amin123
Comandante di Squadriglia

saluti
i'm looking for a clear close up photo of aldo Buvoli ace pilot in Lybia .I have a fuzzy image from this site with him in front of 378 8 but its not good enough for a close up . On the web he is one of the few italian aces with no image . can someone please assist because i need this for my ACE's series i am launching very soon for the Fiat G50 IL2 simulation skin work .
grazie
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice work Amin, its beautiful - very attractive. Buvoli's machine (a CMSA built G.50) likely had a light spray of sand (GM1) over its original camo, see Jean's work on 378-8:

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/FIATG50/JBarby_AldoBuvoli/FIATG50_JB_1a.html

and also useful is Stefano's post:
http://stormomagazine.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1107&highlight=aldo+buvoli

i did study archives and noted the wear and tear but i decided to launch it as clean just out of the box , no heavy weathering . More attractive in game . I have 15 squadrons with different camo work ready for upload in the coming days . Sicily , Lybia , Italy mainland , Albania and Greece. [/img]

Last edited by amin123 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Editor wrote:
Nice work Amin, its beautiful - very attractive. Buvoli's machine likely had a light spray of sand (GM1) over its original camo, see Jean's work on 378-8:

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/FIATG50/JBarby_AldoBuvoli/FIATG50_JB_1a.html

Am assuming Giallo Mimetico 1 (Inves) was field applied or a depot repaint. This Giallo shade along with "Limone" Giallo Mimetico 2 (Masciadri) weren't applied nearly much as Giallo Mimetico 3 (Arson-Sisi), Giallo Mimetico 4 (Max-Mayer) though was well utilized by Aermacchi on early C.200s. The Inves Giallo Mimetico 1, Verde Mimetico 1, Marrone Mimetico 1 hard edged band combination on early FIAT CR.32s well as the repainted FIAT first G.50 prototype MM.334 I find particularly attractive.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

amin123 wrote:

i did study archives and noted the wear and tear but i decided to launch it as clean just out of the box , no heavy weathering . More attractive in game . I have 15 squadrons with different camo work ready for upload in the coming days . Sicily , Lybia , Italy mainland , Albania and Greece. [/img]

If you like we can add some of your work in the Gallery as digital art. We have Chris Busbridge's work and Dan Zoernig's digital art in the Gallery that you should check out.

162 squadron 161 group Sicily , again clean with basic weathering , texture , chip , exhaust smoke , dirt , thin layer of grey overall . No light fading on exposed surfaces for this series of camo work . All colors applied are authentic colors taken from this sites color section list .
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gorgeous. Rounded propeller hubs were used on RA machines, pointed ones used on Finnish planes.

Last edited by Editor on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

this is 150 sqn 2 group on the mainland at Grottaglie before moving to Greece , I want to add that In moded form the game has all the maps needed . We have many maps for all the med , Malta, North Africa all the way to Alexandria . I would'nt have bothered to make these Italian and other nationality skins if there was nowhere to place them . The template derived from voids has only the pointed spinner , i'll see if i can modifiy it correctly for future work .
amin123

camo question

is the giallo mimetici 1 general surface darker or lighter after 6 months exposure to sunlight in the desert ? in the past i used light hazel i made myself from dark hazel for the 202 series . i uploaded the 13 G50 squadrons today at M4T and will give the link once its available for download at the sight for any IL2 players .
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

The camo on 7-150 is my favorite on this plane. Overtime the bonds between the components that give us the colors we see break down when exposed to sunlight and cause fading. This happens to light and dark colors. I found that yellow gets slightly darker over time when exposed to sunlight.

this is my 202 3 series color derived from light hazel . In your opinion should i continue using light hazel for the 202 series or the giallo mimetico 1 the correct basic tone ?[/img]
Retired In Kalifornia

amin123 wrote:
this is my 202 3 series color derived from light hazel . In your opinion should i continue using light hazel for the 202 series or the giallo mimetico 1 the correct basic tone ?
Me speaking only; having built several 1/72 scale Regia Aeronautica Italia models with Giallo Mimetico 1 and Nocciola Chiaro 4 Humbrol enamel equivalents there's enough difference warranting employing the latter though your digital Macchi C.202 rendering is impressive. This Macchi C.205 Bifusoliera CorelDraw 8 rendering I'd done in 2000 employed what I'd believed to be the closest Tavoia X colors possible at that time though still without having purchased Umberto Postiglioni & Andrea Degl'Innocenti's Colori E Schemi Mimetici Della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943 II Edizione reference book:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice work Richard on your bifusoliera!

Depending when a C.202 was constructed (likely only the first two batches), the Serie Mimetica colors (GM3, VM3 and Grigio Mimetico) still applied. Tavola X colors came into effect at the end of 1941. A good example of the Serie Mimetica colors that may have been applied to a C.202 can be seen in Stormo Decals 48007, a Breda built C.202 Serie I, profile VII:

Another good example is the front cover of "Nei Cieli Di Guerra", the C.202 seen here is a Breda built Serie I machine likely painted in GM3, VM3 + GM undersides:

Editor wrote:
Nice work Richard on your bifusoliera!

Depending when a C.202 was constructed (likely only the first two batches), the Serie Mimetica colors (GM3, VM3 and Grigio Mimetico) still applied. Tavola X colors came into effect at the end of 1941. A good example of the Serie Mimetica colors that may have been applied to a C.202 can be seen in Stormo Decals 48007, a Breda built C.202 Serie I, profile VII:

Another good example is the front cover of "Nei Cieli Di Guerra", the C.202 seen here is a Breda built Serie I machine likely painted in GM3, VM3 + GM undersides:

I'd wondered for decades aside from early AerMacchi C.202s in "Poached/Fried Egg" three top color Mimetico schemes whether other manufactures ala Breda factory applied Mimetico schemes. The Breda-built 168 Squadrigila C.202 looks like factory applied camouflage as you say likely two top color Mimetico, indeed I'd love to build a few C.202s in "early desert" Mimeticos, must do more homework before mixing the build paints when time comes doing so!

Thanks for the comments regarding my Bifusoliera rendering. I'd suspended artistry work in 2013 to concentrate on building model kits, when that effort winds down by 2021 hopefully will go back to artistry work. My priority is to render art of the original 1942 twin-tail "slim" fuselage CONVAIR B-36 bomber design after that certainly will render Regia Aeronautica Italia subjects amongst them the Aeronautica Umbra MB.902 well as other "Italian Secret Projects" including the purported Reggiane Re.2007, supposed Caproni Ca.2008 jet projects latter somebody sending me an image of decades ago.
amin123

this is a squadron based at Fuka Egypt close to El Alamein , the camo is the same as the one in the image above next to the bomber , dark olive and light hazel patches . I have 2 squadrons with this camo scheme ,the rest are all hazel based . What color do you advise me for the 202 7 series based at Al Adem Lybia which is ready just waitting to decide on the camo , do i go dark or light hazel or giallo mimetico as a abase ?
[/img]
Aldo Buvoli 378 sqn Lybia