STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Editor wrote:
Love them! 2 short articles please!

1283 is not the same kit as the Supermodel kit, some parts of the sprue are laid similarly but otherwise an entirely new tooling with beautifully scribed lines, crisp detail, incredible fabric effects and no flash. Mind boggling instructions omitting the K.14s entirely although the instruction schematics illustrate the K.14s correctly. Decals for 2 x K.14s and 4 x Alfa 125s (there are no decals for the Piaggio P.X - you need to get the Supermodel kit although I haven't checked the accuracy of the 4 x Alfa 125 subjects in 1283). And finally beautiful box art of a K.14 on a bombing run in AS. Worth every cent.
Incredible I'd passed-up buying Italeri 1283 when was easily available now I'll have to sacrifice the kit - IF I can get one - to build the SEM Model S.73 conversion - ugh!

The S.81 isn't one of my favorite Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI) subjects, will pass on trying to find another Italeri kit to build as such but will save unused parts for passing on to another RAI aficionado.

The extra SUPERMODEL S.81 kit intended for the SEM Model S.73 conversion I still need to build so will write one article for all my S.81 builds when its done hopefully by this time next month.
Supermodel Savoia-Marchetti S.81 Piaggio P.X Engine Build
Retired In Kalifornia

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

What a job! I love this scheme. Please send in a a short write up for the Gallery. Brillant!

Editor wrote:
What a job! I love this scheme. Please send in a short write up for the Gallery. Brillant!
Am commencing my second SUPERMODEL build tomorrow depicting a Russian Front Alfa Romeo S.81 hopefully done long before May 16th when will be called for Jury Duty, would prefer writing just one Gallery article for it along with the above Piaggio engine build. Meantime, I could submit Gallery articles for some of my other Regia Aeronautica Italia builds, e.g. the Choroszy Modelbud Savoia-Marchetti S.78 biplane seaplane among others, that OK with y'all?
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes that's fine!

Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Its beautiful, the anti-camouflage pattern is pitch perfect.
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Very nice looking airplane. It truly is an aircraft of the Golden Age of Flying!
If it was the civilian model and not the military one, I could just imagine people like Clark Gable and Carole Lombard stepping off the plane and walking on the tarmac....
Great job!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
JeffZ
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Great subject! The SM.81 was the symbol of Fascist air prower from the mid to late 1930s. Great job.
Retired In Kalifornia

Supermodel Savoia-Marchetti S.81 Alpha Romeo Engine Build

See Post Below

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Wed May 09, 2018 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Supermodel Savoia-Marchetti S.81 Alfa Romeo Progress Photo 1
Retired In Kalifornia

Commenced Parts Segregation & Interior Painting:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't wait to see your next masterpiece Smile!

Editor wrote:
Can't wait to see your next masterpiece Smile!
Will take Competently Built as an accolade, DO hope it measures-up.

Testors Model Master 1726 Light Sea Gray Fuselage & Wheel Spats interior enamel paint still drying judging by smell, Model Masters take half-again longer than Humbol enamels to dry generally.

I must attend an elderly cousin's funeral Saturday, travel & attending will take all day into night so won't get back to building till Sunday though may spray crew figure base paint tomorrow IF am up to it, been fighting number of intestinal flus lately.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

what are you using for the front of the prop blades ?

Editor wrote:
what are you using for the front of the prop blades ?
Testors Model Master 2078 RLM 65.

The subject of Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI) aircraft propeller front colors has bewildered me for decades, e.g. "Alluminio" or "Grigio" prop blade front finishes sported on Italian Air Force Museum aircraft exhibits vs. those seen on WWII color photos of a number of RAI types, i.e. greenish-grey props on Reggiane Re.2000 Serie III aircraft being my "Exhibit A" for an RLM 65 shade.

Based on passages I'd read years ago in one of my Italian aviation books the author claimed seeing an Savoia-Marchetti S.79 model made by SIAI, the prop front blades painted a Grigio similar to RLM 65. The author further claimed it was an RAI specified color so rightly or wrongly since 2012 I've incorporated Model Master RLM 65 in with all my RAI model builds sporting light colored prop fronts, all builds before them were painted Testors Flat Aluminum.

Here's a photo of Jean Barby's Alpha Flight FIAT BR.20M model sporting what appears to be RLM-65 shade prop fronts compared to one of my recent BR.20M builds:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

The color you're using for the front blades is correct, there's plenty of color photos that show this. Just curious what you were using for a paint.