STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Editor wrote:
The color you're using for the front blades is correct, there's plenty of color photos that show this. Just curious what you were using for a paint.
Still do wonder whether the color indeed was Regia Aeronautica Italia standard, regardless do think it looks better than Aluminum though can't repaint all my previous build's props.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Photos show both, Fiat planes seem to be the most consistent with the application of a light blue-gray on the fronts of prop blades. Aluminum/unpainted on early S.79s and black on CANTs. Blue/gray (GAC1) on Silurante S.79s. Macchi black with yellow tips (some C.200s with gray props, likely Breda/Ambrosini built planes). Planes painted for night operations were all black, as you would expect. By 1943 most (continental) props were painted black with yellow tips.

Editor wrote:
Photos show both, Fiat planes seem to be the most consistent with the application of a light blue-gray on the fronts of prop blades. Aluminum/unpainted on early S.79s and black on CANTs. Blue/gray (GAC1) on Silurante S.79s. Macchi black with yellow tips (some C.200s with gray props, likely Breda/Ambrosini built planes). Planes painted for night operations were all black, as you would expect. By 1943 most (continental) props were painted black with yellow tips.
Also have seen photos of light colored props with yellow tips.

Outside of the Profile Publications monographs & Johnathan W. Thomas' epic Italian Civil And Military Aircraft 1930-1945 (Aero Publishers 1963) there was near nothing else in the way of readily available research information regarding pre & WWII Italian aircraft to draw upon 50 years ago for youthful U.S. modelers like me. The late R J "Bob" Kaye's 1964-67 HISAIRDEC (Historical Aircraft Decals) monograph series gratefully included one for the Revell FIAT CR.42 but years would pass till Giorgio Apostolo et. al. aviation books along with Microscale & ETRL-ESCI decals became available for Regia Aeronautica Italia aficionados here in the states including me.

I'd quit scale modeling in 1969 so missed the excitement of the early new Italian aircraft-related publications, scale model & decal releases, decade after I'd resumed modeling in 1978 there still wasn't enough info regarding such things as fuselage interior details never mind "correct" paint finishes inside and out for Italian-manufactured aircraft pre to post WWII, getting "good" info on such things as propeller blade paint finishes as you'd offered am indeed grateful for!
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have the Profile Publications monographs & Johnathan W. Thomas' book.
"Newer" references began to appear in the 70s such as squadron/signal publications Shore's book 1976 (RA), squadron/signal publications Sgarlato's book 1979 (aircraft), squadron/signal publications D'Amico's book 1986 (ANR). Sgarlato's book has some incredible color photos and cutaways. There was also the Dimension Cielo series (early 1970s) (captions in english) and Nino Arena's work (1983) which were standards for a long time. And of course general books on the subject (non-authorities). To me the older references have allot of photos and information that seems to have been forgotten and that's why keep all these references. Last night night I had a query about a 155a Sq CR.42 that could only be answered in Dimensione Cielo No.1 Caccia-Assalto, 1971.

Editor wrote:
I have the Profile Publications monographs & Johnathan W. Thomas' book.
"Newer" references began to appear in the 70s such as squadron/signal publications Shore's book 1976 (RA), squadron/signal publications Sgarlato's book 1979 (aircraft), squadron/signal publications D'Amico's book 1986 (ANR). Sgarlato's book has some incredible color photos and cutaways. There was also the Dimension Cielo series (early 1970s) (captions in english) and Nino Arena's work (1983) which were standards for a long time. And of course general books on the subject (non-authorities). To me the older references have allot of photos and information that seems to have been forgotten and that's why keep all these references. Last night night I had a query about a 155a Sq CR.42 that could only be answered in Dimensione Cielo No.1 Caccia-Assalto, 1971.
The aero publication Mecca in 1960-70s Sacramento was Beers Books downtown (everything in and out of print) along with a handful of suburban hobby stories, sadly didn't see the Dimension Cielo books though am sure they'd been on sale in the Sacramento metro area.

From spring 1969 till late 1977 was insanely deep into things public transit, wasn't checking out aero publications but did take note of the Italeri & SUPERMODEL kit releases. Even after resuming scale modeling late 1978 didn't look for "Things Italian" but soon bought the Squadron books well as joined IPMS-USA (#15018, inactive after 1991) when some years later in one of the IPMS quarterlies learned about Colori E Schemi Mimetici Della Regia Aeronautica and Giorgio Apostolo's Humbrol paint brews, employed them exclusively building the "Italians" 1982 on.

The SUPERMODEL Z.1007 Bidervia was last build of the 1978-1992 mega-period (500+ kits) till resuming the hobby in 2004, three SUPERMODEL Macchi C.202s c.1990 survive but sorely wished had kept the two 1984 C.205s even with their Microscale Luftwaffe number sets depicting 88 Squadrigila aircraft.
SUPERMODEL S.81 Alpha Romeo Build Progress Report No.1
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Fuselage Interior, Crew Figures, Gun Turrets painted & assembled.

- > Fuselage assembled, seams puttied sanding them over tomorrow.

- > Mainwing halves assembled with Alpha Romeo Engine Mounts.

- > Main Landing Gear Wheels base painted, weathering & wheel spat gluing tomorrow.
Proposed Hereon 2018 Regia Aeronautica Italia Kit Builds
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Italeri S.79 Kits 1225, 1243, 1261, 1290

- > Aviation USK & Xotic-72 SM.84s

- > Xotic-72 FIAT RS.14

- > SUPERMODEL CANT Z.506B

- > SUPERMODEL CANT Z.1007bis Bidervia (Finally Got Black Reverse Underwing Fascis To Do The Build Though 1/48 Scale)

Will take well into fall building these. Italeri SHOULD have Savoia Marchetti S.81 Kit 1388 out to construct the SEM Model S.73 resin conversion, hopefully will have built it this year as well.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looking forward to seeing all these builds!

Editor wrote:
Looking forward to seeing all these builds!
Italeri S.79s follow the SUPERMODEL S.81 Alfa Romeo build. First Italeri kit built in 2012 went well; building two kits at a time is possible but camouflage schemes requiring different paint mixes along with keeping kit parts segregated necessitates one-at-a-time building; want to lead off with Mk.III early May others done by early July.
SUPERMODEL S.81 Alpha Romeo Build Progress Report No.2
Retired In Kalifornia

- > All relevant assemblies painted Humbrol 63 Matt Sand + 10% Testors Flat Yellow + 36% Testors Flat White base (Giallo Mimetico 3 replication).

- > Mainwing, Tailplane, Landing Gear Spat tops/sides "fishnet" painted Humbrol 102 Matt Army Green + 36% Testors Flat White (Verde Mimetico 1 replication).

- > Humbrol 113 Matt Rust + 119 Matt Light Earth 50/50 mix + 36 Testors Flat White (Marrone Mimetico 53192 replication) "accent" sprays adjacent to "fishnet" streamers.

- > Fuselage & Engine Cowling base paint still drying, will paint "fishnet" & "accents" tomorrow.

Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

I would like to ask a stupid question. Why do you paint before you assemble? I have made many of these kits and know that they require filling at the joints.

Now let me state you are one of the best painters I have ever seen!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Fiore
Retired In Kalifornia

Vincent Fiore wrote:
I would like to ask a stupid question. Why do you paint before you assemble? I have made many of these kits and know that they require filling at the joints.

Now let me state you are one of the best painters I have ever seen!
Whenever possible do paint after assembled but the SUPERMODEL S.81 Fuselage-Mainwing joins are horrid, very high risk cracking/marring decades-old plastic so forgoing puttying, fuselage halves are puttied though. The model like my other S.81s aren't going to be in IPMS judging contests am content making them the most presentable possible.

Am getting old fast, current goal is get all Regia Aeronautica Italia kits built by 2021 others by 2023 when might live someplace elsewhere where likely won't be able to build them, will take up other hobbies then.

Thanks for the painting complement, just consider myself competent in this department.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vincent Fiore wrote:

Not a stupid question Vince, I had the same question too Smile

Retired In Kalifornia

- > Fuselage & Access Doors, Engine Cowlings camouflage painted.

- > Tomorrow commence painting undersides Grigio Mimetico starting with Mainwings.
SUPERMODEL S.81 Alpha Romeo Build Progress Report No.4
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Fuselage, Mainwing, Tailplane undersides, Main Landing Gear & Tailplane Struts, Engine Cowling undersides (i.e. narrow strips) painted Humbrol 140 Matt Gull Grey + 36% Testors Flat White.

- > Fuselage Access Door & Panel insides painted Testors Model Master 1726 Light Sea Grey + 36% Testors Flat White enamels.

- > Engines fully painted with various Testors & Model Master flat enamels.

- > Propeller Blade fronts painted Testors Model Master 2078 RLM 65 backs Testors Flat Black + 5% Flat White mix enamels, after drying hubs to be painted Testors Flat Aluminum.

- > Yellow Russian Front under Mainwings & Fuselage Belly Band, white Distintivo di Guerra Rudder crosses will be painted on after camouflage colors fully dry.

- > Model completion May 9th hopefully.
RIK's 1/72 Scale Italian Aircraft Model Collection