STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Macchi 202 and 205 units in Russia
amin123
Comandante di Squadriglia

hello
Looking for color prints and info on Regia Aeronautica units , Italian aces in Russia during WW2 . Any links would be appreciated .
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Retired In Kalifornia

From my readings, there were less than twenty Macchi C.202s deployed on the Russian front, photos & historical information about them has been in print for over 50 years. No C.205s were deployed to Russia, all Regia Aeronautica Italia air units left months before any entered service.
amin123

MAW Mediterranean Air War CFS3 expansion
My goodness is'nt that from CFS3 ? Netwings ? WOW what memories i have from that period with CFS2 !!!! i thought they closed down long ago . I did scenery work in the pacific for CFS2 8 years ago mainly airfields all posted at SOH . I never played CFS3 , too many problems when released , i heard many improvements have been achieved but it never got anywhere near IL2 standards including the skins templates . I never bothered to skin CFS3 or CFS2 cause the texture files were too simple , not enough detail and not enough pixels per inch resolution . In 1999 CFS2 came out and later when the internet expanded and the SOH website appeared with forums an Italian group appeared called I solity quattro gatti ,they developed the italian aircrafts and ships , i cannot remember the name of the chap who developed the Africa map with all the Axis bases ,i think he used the name Mauro , he also developed the first BF109 E4 for Africa . This was the period when the VOODOO 300 megs was the fastest graphic card .32 RAMS was considered a lot . FPS was a real headache .
thank you for the info on their presence in Russia so it looks like i'll do the ones that i have from Google MC 202 386 sqn 22 group Russia and 356 sqn 1 group Ukraine.
Retired In Kalifornia

Twenty years ago when had my graphic arts website up somebody messaged me asking if they could use my art for producing games, said sure of course but don't know if any was used. I'd hoped this one:

would be considered but haven't seen videos featuring the Reggiane 2007. I have one RS Models resin of it, will be among the last Italian aircraft builds I'll do before quitting the hobby.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love this drawing of the Re.2007. This was a very early design of the proposed plane, it would likely have developed into something even more interesting had it reached that stage. Not sure why Reggiane (Caproni) didn't continue developing the design post-war unlike fiat, aerfer (imam), macchi etc. Sort of reminds me of an F-86 and was ahead of its time in certain regards to the swept wing and single-engine longitudinal installation.

Editor wrote:
Love this drawing of the Re.2007. This was a very early design of the proposed plane, it would likely have developed into something even more interesting had it reached that stage. Not sure why Reggiane (Caproni) didn't continue developing the design post-war unlike fiat, aerfer (imam), macchi etc. Sort of reminds me of an F-86 and was ahead of its time in certain regards to the swept wing and single-engine longitudinal installation.
This is what I'd wrote when posted the rendering on my arts website:

The Reggiane Re 2007 was the only wartime Italian jet airplane project reportedly underway at the end of WWII, it was to have been powered by a Junkers Jumo 004 turbojet; two engines were dispatched to Italy in April 1945 but never arrived. In July 1945 the British captured the uncompleted prototype and production drawings at Taliedo, they were very interested in this airplane but no further development occurred.

Information most graciously provided by Mr. Ferdinando D'Amico of Italy who has well researched information concerning this very interesting airplane provides significant insight concerning its true history, here is the information as it was received repeated in its entirety:

"According to the studies of Mr.Sergio Govi, the most important Italian historian of the Reggiane firm (he died two years ago [c.1995], but after having managed to complete and publish his four-volume story of all the Reggiane fighters from the Re.2000 to the Re.2007, a thirty-years research among the documents and the eyewitness accounts of technicians, test pilots and personnel of the Reggiane), the Re.2007 simply never existed if not on paper! The project of the Re.2007 was in fact a fighter drawn around the Jumo 004 engine, and the Germans were interested enough to allow the delivery of such an engine to the Reggiane. However, this took place in late 1944/early 1945 and the jet engine never reached the Italian factory (as correctly pointed out by Mr. Lednicer)."

"However, after the war, although the British captured the drawings of the Re.2007 and were very interested to the project, nothing came out of this, simply because not a single piece of this aircraft had been built. Since the Re.2006 prototype had been completed instead, maybe some confusion was raised by its existence. Several articles had appeared since the end of the war perpetuating the myth of the Re.2007, particularly in the British aviation press (this could be probably explained by copies of the drawings circulating among the experts) and I guess that even the article dealing with Mr. Longhi (ed. note, Roberto G. Longhi was Reggiane's brilliant designer of the Re 2000 fighter series) suffered this fate."

"One final note about the Reggiane Factory. Up to January 1944 the planes were produced by the factory in Reggio Emilia (hence the name "Reggiane"). After the heavy bombardment sustained on January 1944, most of the production was detached to the Caproni Taliedo factory, near Milan. It was there that the prototype Reggiane Re.2006 was built."

Since receipt of Mr. D'Amico's information, fairly detailed drawings have been made available to me through him and Mr. Evan L. Mayerle or drawing a much more accurate rendering of this extremely mysterious airplane, including drawings of the even more mysterious Caproni 2008 jet which was to have been produced after the war. This jet bears an uncanny resemblance to the North American F-86 Sabre; further research will be conducted to determine whether it would qualify for being artfully rendered and exhibited on The Italian Aero Art Page.

- - -

I never got around to rendering the Caproni 2008 though still have drawings of it in my files; Alessandro Barteletti's Reggiane Re.2006 - Una Storia Vera - A true story published by IBN Editore some years later provided foundation for the excellent Falcon & RS Models scale kits.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

yes the Re.2007 never left the drawing board and I agree with Ferdinando (now passed away) that some confusion may have existed with the Re.2006 (DB.603) being built and so speculation (hope ?) that a Reggiane jet might have been built also. The story of the Re.2007 does sound similar to the story of the Re.2006.

As far as I know, no German design followed the design approach of the Re.2007 although the Caproni CC1/2 (N1) also incorporated a longitudinal engine design. Another interesting note of all this work was the incorporation of the campini compressor into the Re.2005 and the Ca.183. The Ca.183 was a very advanced design with a planned speed of 460 mph and heavily armed with 5 x 20mm canons - it was a twin engine high altitude interceptor under construction in 1943. The idea was that a piston engine inside the fuselage would drive a compressor giving a boost of approximately 60 mph through an exhaust nozzle in the rear of the fuselage. Later on Campini proposed a turbine powered unit with 3500hp that would power a large bomber at 504 mph 3,300lb bomb load. This design was closer to what we know today as a jet engine (compressor + turbine powered unit). Campini's other designs were closer to turboprops and ducted fan engine designs like what we see in Boeing's (747s etc) today.

You'd think after 10+ yrs of Stormo online I'd have had pages covering all this ?!

Post some info on the Re.2008.

Editor wrote:
yes the Re.2007 never left the drawing board and I agree with Ferdinando (now passed away) that some confusion may have existed with the Re.2006 (DB.603) being built and so speculation (hope ?) that a Reggiane jet might have been built also. The story of the Re.2007 does sound similar to the story of the Re.2006.

As far as I know, no German design followed the design approach of the Re.2007 although the Caproni CC1/2 (N1) also incorporated a longitudinal engine design. Another interesting note of all this work was the incorporation of the campini compressor into the Re.2005 and the Ca.183. The Ca.183 was a very advanced design with a planned speed of 460 mph and heavily armed with 5 x 20mm canons - it was a twin engine high altitude interceptor under construction in 1943. The idea was that a piston engine inside the fuselage would drive a compressor giving a boost of approximately 60 mph through an exhaust nozzle in the rear of the fuselage. Later on Campini proposed a turbine powered unit with 3500hp that would power a large bomber at 504 mph 3,300lb bomb load. This design was closer to what we know today as a jet engine (compressor + turbine powered unit). Campini's other designs were closer to turboprops and ducted fan engine designs like what we see in Boeing's (747s etc) today.

You'd think after 10+ yrs of Stormo online I'd have had pages covering all this ?!

Post some info on the Re.2008.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very interesting, the Ca.2008 had all the elements of a F-86 including the swept back tail plane - it resembled a F-86 more so than the Re.2007. I didn't realize the plane was intended as a postwar jet fighter. The text aslo answers my earlier question why Reggiane didn't pursue jet development, a real pity for Italian aviation. The publisher of the book INTYRAMA (1970s) also published #11 The Fiat Fighters 1930-1945 and that book too has allot of good info.

Editor wrote:
Very interesting, the Ca.2008 had all the elements of a F-86 including the swept back tail plane - it resembled a F-86 more so than the Re.2007. I didn't realize the plane was intended as a postwar jet fighter. The text aslo answers my earlier question why Reggiane didn't pursue jet development, a real pity for Italian aviation. The publisher of the book INTYRAMA (1970s) also published #11 The Fiat Fighters 1930-1945 and that book too has allot of good info.
Longhi might had known about North American F-86 development via USA contacts; aircraft designers always seem to think in parallel when it comes to engineering considerations. Immediate post-war Italy like Germany & Japan were barred from domestic aircraft production though Italy interestingly was allowed to resume production rather soon ala the Egyptian C.205s & G.55s latter also by the Syrians. Am surprised there isn't a Caproni 2008 model on the market never mind CGI war gaming of the plane, might just be of the latter but I've not seen it.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

The original F-86 design had straight wings, it was later (closer to 1949) where the swept wings and tail plane showed up, from German research work. The Re.2007 (with swept wings) was proposed earlier than the F-86, so more likely either from the Germans or their own work - Guidonia was a great research facility.

I'm surprised too that a Ca.2008 hasn't been released since its more interesting than the Re.2007 but I guess the story around the Re.2007 still lingers. Also not a whole lot of information on the Ca.2008 except what you posted, as far as I can tell.

Editor wrote:
The original F-86 design had straight wings, it was later (closer to 1949) where the swept wings and tail plane showed up, from German research work. The Re.2007 (with swept wings) was proposed earlier than the F-86, so more likely either from the Germans or their own work - Guidonia was a great research facility.

I'm surprised too that a Ca.2008 hasn't been released since its more interesting than the Re.2007 but I guess the story around the Re.2007 still lingers. Also not a whole lot of information on the Ca.2008 except what you posted, as far as I can tell.
Knew the original F-86 design was straight wing, surmised Longhi likely knew about the F-86 including subsequent swept-wing work. Sad neither the 2007 or 2008 didn't go beyond paper; Italy would had been forefront in fighter design albeit a short while. I've not seen anything else regarding the 2008 over the last 21 years other than what I'd posted above, still looking...
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're probably right that about the tail plane of the Ca.2008 since it appeared later on when Longhi was in the US.

Editor wrote:
You're probably right that about the tail plane of the Ca.2008 since it appeared later on when Longhi was in the US.
Hopefully STORMO! will still be up on the Internet towards end of 2021 when hopefully I'll be done with intensive scale model building and hopefully will return to computer artistry.

Rendering 2007 & 2008 art is top priority along with the 1942 "slim fuselage" twin-tail CONVAIR B-36; CorelDraw am - or think still am - proficient using but "3-D" is very enticing though leery spending lotta time leaning how to use the programs. Rendering 2007 & 2008 art will take months depending how much detail am incorporating, superior to anything I've rendered before hopefully, meantime do hope other Italian aircraft huggers will render these birds for our continuing enjoyment!
Macchi 202 and 205 units in Russia