STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Italeri S.79 Level Bombers Progress Report No.5
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea

- > Topside Mimentico base colors now fully spray painted on both model Fuselages.

- > Topside Mimentico base colors 90% sprayed painted on both model Mainwing assemblies including wing leading edges.

- > Topside Mimentico base colors fully spray painted on both model Tailplane parts including leading edges.

- > Main Landing Gear Struts for both models spray painted Testors 1181 Flat Aluminum & Model Master 1726 Light Sea Grey (Wheel Well mounts only).

- > All above set aside to dry, will finish painting Main Landing Gear Main Wheels tomorrow, commence paint prep work on Main Landing Gear Wheel Doors, Fuselage "bathtubs" et. al. kit parts.
Italeri Savoia-Marchetti S.79 278 Squadriglia Build
Retired In Kalifornia

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:32 pm; edited 29 times in total
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy! wow that paint job looks great!

Editor wrote:
Holy! wow that paint job looks great!

Unusual S.79 Night Bomber camouflage scheme I've got source reference art (below) given to me years ago by my friend of 55 years, way irresistible not to build. The art is by Ian Holmes, can't remember what publication it came from. Had to cannibalize decals from several sheets; "278 6" numbers of SKY Models S.79 set don't match those of reference art alas, just had to make do with them. Also don't have straight-through exhaust pipes, Italeri kit only had the "Pan Pipe" variety.

According to Chris Dunning's "Courage Alone" (Hikoki Publications 1998 revised & updated 2009, page 191) 278 Squadriglia formed September 1940 was one of original Reparto Sperimentale Aerosilurante units. On December 10, 1941 four aircraft were damaged by British artillery in Cyrenaica, Libya then presumably were flown to the Servizia Riparazioni Aeromonili e Motori (SRAeM) in Bernina, Italy for repairs possibly while there being fully or partially repainted returning to Libya just eight days later. On December 21, 1941 Squadriglia detachments were stationed at Al-Berka then Ain el Gazala, Libya for night raids over the Gulf of Sollum off Egypt operating either as torpedo or level bombers, on April 1, 1942 the unit joined 132 Gruppo AS in Sicily.

This S.79 model based on artwork rendered by Ian Homes some years ago painted in Verde Oliva Scuro 2 (VOS2) & "Nero Fumo" (NF) base colors with 1941-era Yellow Engine Cowings presents a major research interpretation puzzle for me, either it was factory delivered solid VOS2, Verde Mimetico 1 squiggles over solid VOS2 presumably with Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1 undersides and/or a partial repaint generously assuming it was one of the four S.79s repaired at SRAeM even more so considering "NF" paint had been applied for night bombing operations after returning to Libya, something more easily accomplished whilst at SRAeM than on the move between Libyan airfields.

Homes’ art description says “black” fasces were painted on the main wings though black outline over white disk are shown on the undersides, am surmising black outline fasces were on top, undersides black on white fasces might have been a tactical recognition aid given some photos & art renderings have seen of RAI night bombers & fighters employing them.

Because of uncertainty whether “278 6” operated either as a torpedo or level bomber I’d left off torpedo shackles & associated kit parts though pending additional research it’s quite possible they’d been retained for both bombing roles.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very interesting subject! The MM number would have been helpful to determine the accuracy of the markings. Yellow cowlings were used early in 1941 over the Balkans and AS. White underwing fascses were often seen early on in the war. A photo would also have been useful. I'm sure we can find the photo that was used to construct the profile. I agree, an irresistible subject indeed!

If you get a chance write up a short article - way too irresistible not to be in the Gallery Smile

Site Admin
Site Admin

when you're building this good in this scale, who needs 1/48 Smile I love it!

Editor wrote:
Very interesting subject! The MM number would have been helpful to determine the accuracy of the markings. Yellow cowlings were used early in 1941 over the Balkans and AS. White underwing fascses were often seen early on in the war. A photo would also have been useful. I'm sure we can find the photo that was used to construct the profile. I agree, an irresistible subject indeed!

If you get a chance write up a short article - way too irresistible not to be in the Gallery Smile

Returning to work on "193-4" tomorrow, finish spraying Verde Mimetico 1 on Fuselage; intricate camo pattern, patience necessary. Will be VIP touring U.S.S. IOWA moored in San Pedro, California next Saturday, meantime till Friday will get as much paint spraying & assembly work done possible. Will write S.79 model build article for STORMO after "193-4" is done, up to you whether to feature it and/or "278-6" though former has significance to me ala the 1967 P. Endsleigh Castle's PROFILE Publications No.89 S.79 centerfold art just when the MPC/Airfix S.79 kit hit the market.
Vincent Fiore
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

What brand of paint do you use? And yes, a very beautiful job!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Fiore
Retired In Kalifornia

Vincent Fiore wrote:
What brand of paint do you use? And yes, a very beautiful job!

Humbrol & Testors enamels, Poly Scale acrylics for weathering. Enamels are going away because of idiotic U.S. Government environmental policies, fortunately stockpiled enough of them to finish all my builds.

More worrisome is getting Testors Aztek airbrush parts, i.e. nozzle assemblies, made mostly out of plastic they wear out faster than metal but are easier to clean. Testors still markets Azteks but believe they'll discontinue the A320 & A470 line which I use at some point.

After am done with my Regia Aeronautica Italia builds likely in 2021 want to built limited series of WWII Armée de l'Air, Luftwaffe, RAF et. al. aircraft, like using Model Master enamels but they've been discontinued, got enough for the Armée de l'Air builds but must buy more Luftwaffe paints, RAF not too worried about right now though somewhat about other nationalities.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Retired In Kalifornia wrote:
Editor wrote:

Returning to work on "193-4" tomorrow, finish spraying Verde Mimetico 1 on Fuselage; intricate camo pattern, patience necessary. Will be VIP touring U.S.S. IOWA moored in San Pedro, California next Saturday, meantime till Friday will get as much paint spraying & assembly work done possible. Will write S.79 model build article for STORMO after "193-4" is done, up to you whether to feature it and/or "278-6" though former has significance to me ala the 1967 P. Endsleigh Castle's PROFILE Publications No.89 S.79 centerfold art just when the MPC/Airfix S.79 kit hit the market.

USS IOWA oh yeah! I'd love a tour of that ship. Its design was apparently influenced by the Littorio Class battleships. I remember as a kid the last time this battleship was used in action (its guns anyway), I believe in Lebanon firing its 16in guns as mobile artillery (the Ronald Reagan era) - the ship was modernized and reactivated and carried tomahawk cruise missiles that were later used in the Gulf War I think. The Captain was asked how it would fair in a modern war at the time or if hit by an anti-ship missile and he responded by saying he would order his men below (to take a break, how cheeky Smile), take the hit and go back to work - the point was anti-ship missiles (like an exocet) at that time weren't likely to do much damage to the USS IOWA, that a more likely candidate to do damage to this ship was another like it - its main guns. It was often said that its 16in guns basically lobbed VW beetles (with an explosive head attached of course Smile) at other ships - I think this was a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea. I built the Revell USS Missouri when I was a kid.

Short articles are fine, I'll take both the 193-4 and 278-6. You'll be owning the Gallery in no time!

Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Camouflage unknown to me.
Very interesting and excellent work

Ciao Enrico

- > "193 4" Bomber Fuselage fully painted along with white bellyband, much patience required accomplishing the work.

- > Gluing in remaining Fuselage interior parts & ventral "bathtub" tomorrow, affixing Fuselage decals then on tap.

- > Mainwing outer sections painted Humbrol 102 Matt Army Green + 36% Testors Flat White enamels replicating Verde Mimetico 1 per P. Endsleigh Castle's "193 4" S.79 PROFILE Publications No.89 centerfold art, more than much patience yet required to finish painting Mainwings never mind the Tailplanes!
Italeri S.79 Level Bombers Progress Report No.7
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Some Fuselage interior parts glued in, all Fuselage decals affixed today - yes!

- > Will finish gluing in remaining interior & "bathtub" parts tomorrow, resume spraying Humbrol 102 Verde Mimetico 1 equivalent on Mainwings, Tailplanes & Engine Cowlings.[/img]
Back From The U.S.S. IOWA Tour...
Retired In Kalifornia

The IOWA is permanently moored at the Port of Los Angeles Berth 87 in San Pedro, California, class lead amongst the last big gun battleships all built during WWII all seeing combat action all now museum ships, the only intact class of great warships in the world open daily to public viewing.

The two-part IOWA V.I.P. tour held Saturday, June 9th 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 pm. was personally given by the Ship Curator Dave Way with two Docents for 20 people who'd paid U.S. $99 each. The IOWA is under Port of Los Angeles Fire Marshall supervision, the V.I.P. tour is held in confined areas off-limits to the general public, just one can be hosted monthly, all sell out in advance (I'd reserved my ticket last January as No.3 of 20).

The tour was near all below top deck within two "All Or Nothing" armored section decks off limits to the general public, i.e. crew rest areas, machine & specialty shops, dental & medical stations, areas were "classified" shipboard work was once conducted etc. including the Enlisted Men's Galley where we'd interfaced with folks doing public tours, alas we had nothing to serve them from our side.

The event included a hosted buffet lunch in the Chief Petty Officer's (CPO's) Mess below deck in a 20 x 30 foot (6 x 9 meter) room towards the ship's stern, not in the Officer's Wardroom as I'd expected. Mr. Way said CPOs were served the best shipboard food because they'd paid for it out of their own pockets; the buffet food we were served was surprisingly good, I'd remarked about that more than once.

The IOWA V.I.P. tour is one of several offered, because of time constraints I couldn't go on any others that day, hopefully I'll be able to return for more touring in the future. None of the big gun turrets are open to public viewing yet but parts of the rear turret interior can be seen from a underneath hatchway, once one is open for public viewing certainly will consider attending another tour of it. The Engine Room also isn't open yet, also may consider touring it whenever it comes open.

I only have a Kyocera flip cover cell phone with camera so couldn't take many photos, those I had are shown below:

Ship's Original Bell In Visitor's Shopping Store Below Deck Immediately Above "All Or Nothing" Armored Center Section

Bathtub Purpose-Made For U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt During The 1943 Cairo & Tehran Conferences

Original U.S.S. IOWA Ship's Visitor Logbook Page Top Showing Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Signature As C in C (Commander In Chief) November 12, 1943 On Way To The Cairo Conference (Codename Sextant) November 22-26th.

Memorials To 47 Crewmen Killed During The April 19, 1989 Turret No.2 Center Gun Explosion. A Tragic Place Of Death The Turret Will Never Be Open To Public View Whilst Under Pacific Battleship Museum Curation.

Work resumes on the "Electric Man" S.79 Model Tomorrow June 11th.
Italeri S.79 Level Bombers Progress Report No.8
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Mainwing Tops fully camouflage painted Humbrol 102 Matt Army Green + 36% Testors Flat White enamels replicating Verde Mimetico 1 today.

- > Airbrushing effort required frequently cross-referencing P. Endsleigh Castle's PROFILE Publications S.79 centerfold art, fatiguing work but results are acceptable.

- > Straight-through Engine Exhaust Pipes are indicative of Castle's S.79 art, Italeri kit came only with the "Pan Pipe" variety, finished painted them today as well.

- > Mainwing Undersides will be painted Humbrol 140 Matt Gull Grey + 36% Testors Flat White enamels replicating Grigio Mimetico tomorrow.
RIK's 1/72 Scale Italian Aircraft Model Collection