STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Re: Italeri S.79 Level Bombers Progress Report No.9
Retired In Kalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

- > Painted "Pan Pipe" Engine Exhausts glued on Engine Cowlings today, weathering all tomorrow.

- > Mainwing Undersides painted Humbrol 140 Matt Gull Grey + 36% Testors Flat White enamels replicating Grigio Mimetico today, letting them completely dry before gluing on Aileron Counterbalances & Landing Flap Actuators, applying Wing Tri-Fasci decals.

- > Underneath Mainwing leading edge camouflage wrapping per P. Endsleigh Castle's art extends farther than any S.79s I've built, took some doing getting them properly masked for spraying.

- > Currently assembling Step Stairs for painting & gluing on backside of Fuselage Access Door, taking some doing getting frames & steps trim fitted & glued together.

- > Main Landing Gear Assemblies completed weeks ago, these soon will be glued in Mainwing Landing Gear Nauticles.
Re: Back From The U.S.S. IOWA Tour...
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Retired In Kalifornia wrote:
The IOWA is permanently moored at the Port of Los Angeles Berth 87 in San Pedro, California, class lead amongst the last big gun battleships all built during WWII all seeing combat action all now museum ships, the only intact class of great warships in the world open daily to public viewing.

The two-part IOWA V.I.P. tour held Saturday, June 9th 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 pm. was personally given by the Ship Curator Dave Way with two Docents for 20 people who'd paid U.S. $99 each. The IOWA is under Port of Los Angeles Fire Marshall supervision, the V.I.P. tour is held in confined areas off-limits to the general public, just one can be hosted monthly, all sell out in advance (I'd reserved my ticket last January as No.3 of 20).

The tour was near all below top deck within two "All Or Nothing" armored section decks off limits to the general public, i.e. crew rest areas, machine & specialty shops, dental & medical stations, areas were "classified" shipboard work was once conducted etc. including the Enlisted Men's Galley where we'd interfaced with folks doing public tours, alas we had nothing to serve them from our side.

The event included a hosted buffet lunch in the Chief Petty Officer's (CPO's) Mess below deck in a 20 x 30 foot (6 x 9 meter) room towards the ship's stern, not in the Officer's Wardroom as I'd expected. Mr. Way said CPOs were served the best shipboard food because they'd paid for it out of their own pockets; the buffet food we were served was surprisingly good, I'd remarked about that more than once.

The IOWA V.I.P. tour is one of several offered, because of time constraints I couldn't go on any others that day, hopefully I'll be able to return for more touring in the future. None of the big gun turrets are open to public viewing yet but parts of the rear turret interior can be seen from a underneath hatchway, once one is open for public viewing certainly will consider attending another tour of it. The Engine Room also isn't open yet, also may consider touring it whenever it comes open.

I only have a Kyocera flip cover cell phone with camera so couldn't take many photos, those I had are shown below:

Ship's Original Bell In Visitor's Shopping Store Below Deck Immediately Above "All Or Nothing" Armored Center Section

Bathtub Purpose-Made For U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt During The 1943 Cairo & Tehran Conferences

Original U.S.S. IOWA Ship's Visitor Logbook Page Top Showing Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Signature As C in C (Commander In Chief) November 12, 1943 On Way To The Cairo Conference (Codename Sextant) November 22-26th.

Memorials To 47 Crewmen Killed During The April 19, 1989 Turret No.2 Center Gun Explosion. A Tragic Place Of Death The Turret Will Never Be Open To Public View Whilst Under Pacific Battleship Museum Curation.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us Richard.

Retired In Kalifornia

Over 37.7778 C (100 F) here right now, too hot for photography even after dark, will photograph the model tomorrow morning, post photos immediately afterwards.
Italeri Savoia-Marchetti S.79 193 Squadriglia Build
Retired In Kalifornia

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Absolutely magnificent Richard, not a trace of over spray in this scale. Watching you build is like a kid in a candy store - article please!

Editor wrote:
Absolutely magnificent Richard, not a trace of over spray in this scale. Watching you build is like a kid in a candy store - article please!

Thanks for the complements. For 52 years I'd pined to build "193 4" closest possible to P. Endsleigh Castle's PROFILE centerfold art, absolutely impossible when I'd bought my first MPC/Airfix S.79 kit in 1967, even after SKY Models & Tauro came out with their S.79 decal sheets still couldn't build it, needed to learn the necessary skills to do so meantime.

Spraying on the green camo paint pattern all whilst referring to Castle's art, sick with the nastiest flus I've had in a decade, made this amongst the most worrisome builds I've ever done, certainly the most since November 2015 when began living alone again. I'm very happy it came out OK, just don't want to do another like it fearing a disaster along the way.

The next two S.79 builds will be Italeri Serie I & Bis kits; read just 24 Serie I airplanes were built, don't want to do the Spanish Civil War or 18 Squadriglia renderings as already had built an Airfix kit of the latter so likely will model a 12 Stormo machine provided can find out which Squadriglias were assigned to it in 1937 along with number decal sets for them - hopefully. The Serie III build should be easier, should have more decal options.

Will write the article you'd requested tomorrow or Saturday, do please post the one I'd written for you about the Savoia-Marchetti S.78 while back.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.1
Retired In Kalifornia

- > General spray painting today of interior parts of both kits with Testors Model Master 1726 Light Sea Gray enamel approximating Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI) Grigio Azzurro Chiaro per the Stormo RAI Color Guide approximate interior color for Savoia-Marchetti aircraft prior to assembly.

- > Tomorrow will concentrate on assembling Mainwings with Main Landing Gear Housings, Alerions, Mainwing Engine Mountings.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.2
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Mainwings with Main Landing Gear Housings, Alerions, Mainwing Engine Mountings assembled, seams puttied, set aside to dry.

- > Tomorrow will prep for more Fuselage interior painting followed by some parts assembly work.

Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.3
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Fuselage interior painting prep work postponed till tomorrow, did prep Mainwings for painting today; one glued-on Engine Mount had to be pulled off, refinished, re-glued on for better fit.

- > Majority of remaining kit parts separated from sprues (some glued together ala Main Landing Gear Wheels), sanded & prepped for painting tomorrow, rest of week.

- > 100-F temperatures in forecast here till Sunday, must spray paint early mornings to cut down on spray nozzle clogging.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.4
Retired In Kalifornia

- > High Heat Conditions here limited model work to A.M. today.

- > Main Landing Gear wheels painted Testors Matt Flat Rubber, Black, White enamel formula mix.

- > Engines, base painted Testors Matt Black + 5% Flat White enamel formula mix.

- > Three Propellers also fully painted black mix, three others on reverse sides only, fronts will be painted Testors Model Master 2078 RLM 65 enamel.

- > Four Aileron Steering Wheels painted black mix, after drying glued on steering columns.

- > Fuselage Bulkhead Instrument Panels painted Testors Model Master 1726 Light Sea Grey + some black mix drops approximating Instrument Panel color, masking work arduous, amongt the lest liked steps building the Italeri S.79 models.

- > High Heat again tomorrow, hopefully can do some A.M. painting...

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.5
Retired In Kalifornia

- > All relevant Clear Plastic Parts glued on Fuselage Halves.

- > Fuselage Flight & Crew Deck Assemblies for both models glued together, assembly for Bis model glued on port Fuselage Half.

- > All Engines painted.

- > All Propellers painted except yellow tips for Bis model, will paint them tomorrow.

- > All Main Landing Gear Assemblies fully painted & weathered, glued together ready for placement in Main Landing Gear Wheel Wells.

- > Tail Landing Gear parts fully painted & weather ready for placement in respective Fuselage Halves.

- > All Defensive Guns painted ready for placement in Fuselage Halves.

- > Humbrol 91 Matt Black Green + 36% Testors Flat White mix replicating Verde Olivia Scuro 2 must be spot-sprayed on area around outer Fuselage gun ports before gluing in guns.

- > Three Torpedoes assembled & base painted Testors Flat Aluminum, tips to be painted a Testors Flat Steel & Brass mix, break-away Torpedo Tail Planes a Testors Flat Aluminum & White mix.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.6
Retired In Kalifornia

- > All relevant Serie I Fuselage Interior Parts glued in port half, Fuselage halves glued together, puttying & Sanding work done tomorrow.

- > 80/20 Testors Model Master 2009 British Crimson, Humbrol 118 U.S. Matt Tan + 36% Testors Flat White enamel mix replicating Marrone Mimetico 2 spot painted around forward "Hump" Machine Gun Mount prior to assembly.

- > Humbrol 91 Matt Black Green + 36% Testors Flat White enamel mix replicating Verde Oliva Scuro 2 painted around forward "Hump" Machine Gun Mount, on & around Beam Gun Ports of Bis Fuselage Halves.

- > Beam Machine Guns & Mounts glued on Bis Fuselage Halves.

- > Bis Fuselage Interior Parts then Halves will be glued in/together tomorrow.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.7
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Bomb Rack Top & Dorsal Machine Gun parts glued on the Series I model Fuselage top followed by the "hump with side bulges" assembly unique to the 24 aircraft of the first production series.

- > The Italeri Serie I kit "hump with side bulges" assembly in three parts: Port/Starboard Halves & Semi-Circular Transparency, took doing to fit on the Fuselage, i.e. repeated sanding of parts to fit followed by putty & sanding work, a narrow plastic wedge piece glued, puttied & sanded in place on the lower forward portside "hump" half covering a noticeable gap.

- > No kit option was offered showing the Dorsal Machine Gun in the open-for-action position though kit instructions were given to glue it on the Bomb Rack Top. This was done though without a flashlight it nor the Bomb Rack can be seen through the "hump" transparency.

- > Three Torpedo break-away Tail Planes painted Testors Flat Aluminum & White mix were set aside to dry.

- > High Heat Conditions over the weekend may limit work on the S.79s, if done will have to be during the A.M., hopefully can get some done!

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Italeri S.79 Serie I & Bis Build Progress Report No.8
Retired In Kalifornia

- > High Heat Conditions limited today's work only to gluing the Bis Fuselage Halves together; below are photos of completed work to date well as yet to be painted & assembled kit parts for the Serie I & Bis models:

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow looking great!