"La cucaracha" fighters markings and pilots

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
serial modeler
Pilota

"La cucaracha" fighters markings and pilots

Post by serial modeler » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:35 pm

I am modeling a CR 32 from the famous 1st fighter unit, then the XVI gruppo flying with the famous "la cucaracha" badge. I would like to model a plane of one of the aces, I was thinking of d'Montegnacco, Presel, Mantelli, Cenni or Baschitotto. I would like to find out the particular markings of their aircraft such as side number and serial numbers on the tails. Also are there any English biographies or at least a short paragraph or two about any one of them...I always like to "personalize" my models by knowing a bit about their pilots. My favorite is Baschirotto, since I found a picture of him sitting on the lower wing of a machine coded 3-5...was that one his?
thanks for any help on this.
Serial Modeler

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:40 pm

There's a brief bio on Baschitotto in Opsrey's Aircraft of the Aces. I'll try to get a scan up when I return to Calgary next week.

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Baschirotto's Cr 32

Post by Vincent Biondi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:43 pm

Hello,
I might be able to help you.
I have a copy of AERFAN Magazine from , Jan-Mar , 1999 issue and in it is the story of Gianlino Baschirotto.
He flew with the 2nd Squadriglia in Spain, which later merged with the XVI Gruppo, Cucharacha unit and according to the picture in the magazine, it looks like his aircraft number was 7-2. The number 7 being the aircarft and 2 the Squadron number.
While in Spain , he claimed 5 Individual kills ( 1 Nieuport Ni-52, 3 Polikarpov I-16s and 1 Polikarpov R-5) + 6 shared claims for a total of 11 aircraft destroyed.
Go to this very good web site that has colour plates of all types of aircraft and type in the following link, where you will find the CR 32, in the Italian Exped. Force that fought in Spain:
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/f/2/67/1
Hope this can help you.
If you have problems getting on that site email me: vbiondi@telus.net
and I will send you the link.
Take care,
Vincent.

serial modeler
Pilota

Are you sure about the number?

Post by serial modeler » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:12 pm

From my understanding all the Fiat CR 32's carried a side number of 3 and then the aircraft number, so I don't see how it could be 7 and then 2. The one decent picture I have of Baschirotto is next to a CR 32 numbered 3-5. and 24 on the wheel covers. I assume that is from when he served with the 24 squadron of the XVI Group. I would love to find out the serial of that aircraft and also if he carried any special markings other then the "la cucaracha" on the side. There is also a famous profile, replicated on your link of the machine marked 3.2 with a white chevron and some squadron or group leader markings. Any ideas whose that could have been?
Serial Modeler

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi,
Unfortunately, in the pciture that I have, Baschirotto is in front of the fusealge and partially covering the number, which to me, looks like a 7.
Also, in the AEROFAN article, it states that he first flew with the 2nd Squadriglia, which later merged with the XVI Gruppo.
Did you get a chance to look at the Web site?
Its got some very good colour plates of aircraft.
Sorry, I can't be of any more help.
Good luck with the project,
Vincent.

serial modeler
Pilota

Thanks Vincent

Post by serial modeler » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:58 pm

The picture I have of him shows him in front of a machine clearly labeled 3-5, but of course I don't know if it his. Thanks a lot for the links, they will be helpful for the color selection.
Serial Modeler