Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
crazyflytox
Pilota

Post by crazyflytox » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi all it's my first post here
I found many interresting things here.
I just finish a serie profile for futur issue of "Batailles Aériennes n°58"
"Guerre sur le désert 1940-1943 2em partie" by Giancarlo Garello.
I love specialy Italian subject because for an illustrator the marking and color are really fine to do.
And I think that all Italian aircraft have nice shapes.
I'm looking forward to start the suite with beautifful MC202 and 205 !
Thierry Dekker
A question: Why I can't use right click for put URL adresse of my pict, I must to write all the code, it's long and tedious...( a message stop the action) Have you a solution ?
Image[/url]

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi Thierry, welcome to Stormo! Beautiful work! Please send in some profiles and I'll post them in the Gallery.

To paste a URL into the forum use Ctrl + V key strokes. The reason I turned off right mouse click was to warn persons to avoid copying images that belonged to private collections of individuals who posted on this forum. I did this because I received a complaint.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

crazyflytox
Pilota

ctrl+V it's okey

Post by crazyflytox » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:31 am

Hi vince,
the second that I would to post here.
For gallery I contact you later in PM.
thanks
Thierry
thanks ctrl+V
THierry

Chris Busbridge
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Chris Busbridge » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:56 am

Excellent profiles, Thierry. Can't recall seeing this level detail on italian aircraft profiles before.

crazyflytox
Pilota

Post by crazyflytox » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:10 am

Hi Chriss,
thanks I try allways to use, as possible, the better documentation for the plan of my profile, I use scaledrawing , photo, etc with the maximum of details .( unfortunaly it's hard to find complet line or rivet line, I use lot of time to study the photo, it's some time difficult for some aircraft )
Then I draw the line of my futur profile
After I try to depict a good shape and volume with the light and shadow for each subject,
the rectangular shape of a low section fuselage (G-50) haven't the same shadows and lights than an egg-shapped section (MC200).
For me the weathering is very important, I try to give a good relief too with rivets and I use other effects, dust, faded paint on the top etc... .
Sorry if my english isn't academic :O)
I hope you will forgive me.
Thierry

GAJouette
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by GAJouette » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am

Thierry,
Awesome pofiles my friend.I hope to see more of your excellent works posted here in the future.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

gruson
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by gruson » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi,
Thierry your profils are perfect !!! Always a pleasure to look at them
Good continuation.
Regards
michel

crazyflytox
Pilota

Post by crazyflytox » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:41 am

Hi ,
thanks again to you
yes it's in my intention to post some profiles on Italian subject, because I'have several projects like that for the futur....and I love it !
It's nice because some others Air force are treated too well, even too much....this change a little bit.
Thierry

Vincent Fiore

Post by Vincent Fiore » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:12 am

Who cares about your English when you can produce such brilliant profiles. Locking forward to more of your great work. Thank you Lo :D :D

mistermaquette
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by mistermaquette » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Bravissimo! Dettagli eccellenti, spero di vederne molti altri dei tuoi profili.

Enrico

D520

Post by D520 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Thierry je t'ai reconnu lalallaire! Bienvenue cher ami ce site c'est un peu mon jardin, alors plus on est de fous....... ciao bello!

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Welcome Crazyflytox/Thierry,

We’re very happy you joined us, and of your interest in RA aircraft too, as your artworks are superb and with an amazing detail care.
I hope you’ll appreciate some notes and suggestions on the subjects you kindly sent us, even for future references.
Here is the picture of original G.50 bis 378-8, whose the MM was 6384 (serie VII built by CMASA)

(source: Bussi-Raucci, Pantere)

The subject has yet been discussed in this forum: http://stormomagazine.com/phpbb2/viewto ... ght=buvoli
After four years by my post, and further researches, I changed some opinions about the colours applied. That’s why. There is evidence that CMASA-built aircraft (mainly in 155° Gruppo, but also some of 20°) in North Africa were oversprayed with sand, while FIAT- built (mainly in the fellow 20° Gruppo) in the same theatre and time were not. The reason was likely because the first had a dark appearance, for a more dense and round-shaped dark green and reddish brown spots over sand or light green background (there is a colour photo evidence for the latter). The FIAT-built, instead, had thin, long, oblique mottling of dark green and neutral or reddish brown over ochre yellow, that better matched the desert environment. Here is a comparison between those original liveries: the FIAT…

(source: Aerofan 1/84)

…and the CMASA serie VII in its original livery

(courtesy of Ferdinando D’Amico)

The pattern of overspraying varied according to personnel skill; in Buvoli’s aircraft it left long streaks of underlying colour, that likely wasn’t homogeneous for the reasons as above. As for the exact hue of the sand colour, I think it’s useless to guess it among the CMPR chips, as in late 35 years several colours not listed had been discovered. Logically, it’s not wrong to think that they possibly used Regio Esercito paints: I think that Giallo Sabbia Chiaro (Lifecolor UA217, sorry no standard reference) could be a credible option. Anyway, I believe that the sand colour in your profile is a good choice.
Referring again to my post, I’m now still not sure in white wingtips, as other examples of the unit hadn’t them.
The spinner in the original photo is not visible, but in fellow 20° Gruppo they were in the original light blue, as well as the front face of propellers blades were. Checking other images, I’ve seen that even in other units the spinners weren’t yellow, when the cowlings did were, so I suppose that this was a common practice for G.50s. In b/w pictures, however, light blue and yellow are often hardly distinguishable. Propeller blades had each a logo: here is it, by a relic of a CR.42 (propellers were the same). Note the light blue. Words are ELICHE FIAT A PASSO VARIABLE (Variable Pitch FIAT Propellers)

(source: internet)

A modern reproduction of the logo

(source: Air Kit News no. 25)

I agree with the lacking of MG flash suppressor tubes. Sorry, I didn’t realize it before.
A note on the fuselage fascio, that was applied on the aircraft as a decal. The light blue background was used before- or early in the war. The background became quite soon dark lead gray, see picture below.

(source: forum in www.150gct.it)

Here is a picture of original MC.200 372-5.

(Source: IWM via Aerofan no. 83)

The main question is whether it was a Breda- or a SAI Ambrosini-built. They were distinguishable through the shape of tail cross: vertical arms shorter in Breda, and as you depicted it in SAI. In the picture above the tail is sadly not visible.
Here are pictures of ‘200s by both factories, same unit.

(source: M. Di Terlizzi, Macchi MC.200 Saetta part 1, ISBN 88-86815-70-0)

(source: Aerofan no. 83)

Also the fin writings were different: you depicted the Breda-style, while SAI were similar to Macchi-built aircraft (weights varied according to the serie).

Image Image Image

Note that operative devices often had a leather cushion to prevent shock during hard landings.

I hope these references are useful for your artworks.
Awaiting for your future masterpieces, we wish you a good work.
Ciao

Stefano

D520

Post by D520 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:30 am

Always great to learn something within the RA when you wake up! Grazie mille Stefano.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Great post! Thank you Stefano.

crazyflytox
Pilota

thanks

Post by crazyflytox » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:58 pm

I Stefano,
great picts and stuff ! Great helps.
about 378-8 I done the profile of this plane from the same photo...
Like for Luftwaffe subject It's often difficult to make the right choice from B/W photo, allways an interpretation....
About the Mc 200 372-5 GianCarlo Garello , the author of BA n°58 "Guerre sur le désert" , sent me an other photo, with the entire plane.
the cross are like I show on my profile.
Thierry