More Avatars ...

Comments about STORMO! and the Forum as well as Special Annoucements
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

More Avatars ...

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:44 am

More Avatars (MB.326, FIAT G.91)!

For those of you interested, I added New avatars for the AMI (Aeronautica Militare Italiana). The new avatars include the following:

MB.326
Iconic post-war jet trainer and light strike aircraft:
10 new avatars

1 x AMI, 1x Tunisian (B), 1x Australian (H), 1x Ghana (F), 1x Argentinian (GB), 2 x South African (M,KC), 1 x Zaire (GB), 1 x Dubai (LD)

Probably the most interesting use of this plane was in the hands of the South African Air Force that used it against Communist forces in Angola with good results.

FIAT G.91
Iconic post-war jet tactical-support/reconnaissance plane and winner of the NATO Light-Weight Strike Fighter competition in 1953:

24 new avatars

8 x AMI (R1, PAN, T1), 1 x Hellenic AF (R4), 5 x Luftwaffe (R3, T3), 5 x Portuguese (R3, T3), 2 x US Army (R1,T1), 3 x AMI G.91Y

The most interesting use of this plane was in the hands of the Portuguese who used it in the Portuguese Colonial Wars, showing up in places like Portuguese Guinea, Mozambique and Angola, and who very much liked the plane and added more to its large fleet operating the planes into the 1990s, in fact when the Luftwaffe offered the FAP its F.104Gs in 1974, the Portuguese declined the offer and added another 137 G.91s to its fleet. The Luftwaffe also adopted the plane on a large scale, eventually purchasing 394 R3s plus 66 T3s (as well as taking over the Turkish and Hellenic order of R4s), and what Richard Caruana referred to as the little fighter that endeared itself to the Luftwaffe.

I’ll be adding more avatars such as the MB.339, MB.346, Tornado, US planes such as the P.51, P.47, F.84, F.86, F.104, F.16 and F.35 etc. over time as Stormo heads into the jet age. In the meantime I’ll be improving what’s already in the avatar Gallery e.g., all RA Foreign Types have received a work over (sharper). So have a look around, the new avatars are fun to look at and choose one if you you’re so inclined :esmile:

To access the New avatars:
In the top right corner of the forum click the down arrow next to your username, then click Profile. In Viewing Profile, click Edit Profile, on the left side, click Edit avatar. To view different aircraft types click, click the Category drop-down list and select the category you want to view e.g., fighters, bombers, trainers etc

Enjoy!

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Question...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:34 pm

...Unless its your website policy to only allow Italian air forces aircraft profile logos would you allow personal avatars as well? The 2001 Space Odyssey-themed one I'd rendered in 1997 is employed on all websites am a member of.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More Avatars ...

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:12 pm

This question has come up before, it has mainly to do with policing what forum members use as avatars, something I really don't want to do. Personal avatars also lead to chaotic looking forums. But having said that you can attach a personal icon to your signature - most of the manufactures have done that including SEM in the old forum.

RetiredInKalifornia

Done...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:11 pm

Editor wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:12 pm
This question has come up before, it has mainly to do with policing what forum members use as avatars, something I really don't want to do. Personal avatars also lead to chaotic looking forums. But having said that you can attach a personal icon to your signature - most of the manufactures have done that including SEM in the old forum.
...Thanks for the direction :thumbup: More FROG Macchi C.202 "What-If" progress reporting later today, want to get them build by time Trump lifts the national COVID-19 "Hunker In Place" order.