STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Correct Breda 88 colors
orville59
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Hi. this is my first visit to this group. I made in this moment a MPM Breda 88 but the color cart is not clear. because does not say how to apply the colors in the correct sequence. First the correct colors are verde mimetico 3,giallo mimetico 3 and bruno mimetico on the upper surfaces and lower griggio mimetico. For the correct sequence, I would understand, verde mimetico 3 is the first colour to apply, and over this spots the giallo mimetico 3 and bruno mimetico
All this for planes in the first operation (not Africa), this is correct or someone in the forum can correct my mistake?

Sincerely Raul Wright
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Raul, welcome to Stormo. The Breda 88 was used in North Africa, albeit for a short period. The planes were taken off charge around the beginning of November 1940.

Photos show the planes painted in a darker scheme with splotches of giallo mimetico and bruno mimetico. Undersides were finished in a Grigio Mimetico.

In the snap shots below from ADI, the color palettes suggest giallo mimemtico applied first followed by splotches of verde mimetico, this doesn't look correct and doesn't give a darker appearance either. The application of this camouflage should begin with verde mimentico followed by giallo mimetico and bruno mimetico.

Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Hi Vince; MANY THANKS for answering my question. Obviously it was not so wrong about the sequence of colors, after observing several photographs saw the planes were painted in a dark color, and not a clear colored with spots.
Vince Tell me, if you had to choose the paintings, which you consider to be the most accurate for this camouflage?

sincerelly Raul.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good question, I like to use Polly Scale, but Jean Barby and others prefer Gunze paints. Gunze paints (using FS numbers) appear closest to the CMPR color chips.

Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

HI VINCE: I have a big problem, Gunze and Pooly S is not available in my country (only Humbrol and Model Master). Then I have to send to make the paintings. which are correct FS for the four Breda's colors?, are displayed in the color table, is that correct?

Sincerely Raul.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Raul, try Humbrol and use the color guide to help you:

http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronauticaColorsinWWII_3a.htm

Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Hi Vince: Here continued with work on the Breda, but I have some unknowns that revealing.
The first is that squadrons operated the first mission in the June 16, 1940 on the Sardinian airports?
Second, I would like a plane from 100 Squadron, but I have two sheets of decals (one of Sky and the other Tauro on the Breda 8Cool in both the numeral of the plane (100-4) was black, should not be red?
The last, the propeller spin should also be red? and the tips of the propellers are red or yellow.
Sorry to have to bother this way but these data do not find in any book or publication

regards Raul.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Raul,
Try emailing Riccardo Trotta ("Rick" on the Stormo Forum), he spent sometime on this subject and should be able to answer this question precisely. If you can't reach him on the forum, email me offline and I'll give you his private email.

Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Ok Vince : I send a email (by forum) to Rick, but if you have no problen sent to me Rick"s private e mail. regards Raul.
BlackTulip109
Pilota

I have found the Vallejo acryllic paints very easy to work with and available much more readily in Europe.
There is also a new company out of Poland called ERWATA which makes a specific kit of Regia Aeronautica for the Desert.
There is also an Italaian company called "LifeLike"

Look into these.

I have enamels of COMPUCOLOUR and PRECISION I bought years ago from HANNANTS in England. They are OUTSTANDING paints and go on very well.
If you have difficulty finding what I am suggesting let me know if I have extras I'll let you have some all you pay would be shipping.
PLUS post pictures as I really like the BA-88

orville59
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Hi Black tullip;really Breda've completed several months ago, having so much trouble with colors, I decided to make them in automotive lacquers, I have a friend who has a paint shop and most importantly, has a spectrograhf that made me almost exact colors, please your concern, unfortunately in my country for political reasons can not be imported articles hobby. Raul.
BlackTulip109
Pilota

Hi Raul

Humbrol paints are very good I still have some. After years in storage I have opened some up I thin using Acryllic Lacquer Thinner(automotive) and they go on very nicely.
It sounds like your friend with the spectrogragh(?) did a great service for you.
I am waiting to receive my new AirBrush I ordered. Once it arrives I plan to practice with the hopes of duplicating those Italian Camo patterns.
If uyou can receive mail from the USA I'll go through my Compucolour and Xtracolour and see what I have in Italian colors and if I have extra I will mail them to you if you like.
If I have time today ( march 28 ) I'll grow through my collection and post what I have.

Correct Breda 88 colors