STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Caproni conundrums
warhawk
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Greetings,

Recently I bought a model of Ca.310, which sparked an interest for the entire series. I am a bit confused about some things, as various sources cite different statements.

First of all, was there any connection between Ca.309 and Ca.310 (e.g. common portions of the airframe), or were they completely separate projects?

Also, I am confused about why Caproni sometimes designated a major redesign as a version of existing type (Ca.310bis), and then name the next minor modification (Ca.311) as an entirely new type. The differences between the two seem purely cosmetic to me (some extra windows on the 311, as I understand).
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by warhawk
Ca.310 of 50a Sq. questions
warhawk

Rather than starting another topic, I thought it would be better to join all of my Ca.310 questions in a single topic.

I am interested in building a model of this particular aircraft:

source: Wings palette

I have two dilemmas, one regarding its camouflage.
In the STORMO! Color Guide, a green scheme with sand blotches is not listed as applied to Ca.310 at all. Could this be a case of really tight green squiggle pattern on a sand yellow base, so it looks like sand blotches?

Also, I would like to inquire about the presence of rectangular windows on the fuselage (between the triangular window and the dorsal turret), as some profiles of this machine depict them, while others not.

Any opinion or advice is more than welcome.

Regards,
Aleksandar
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by warhawk
Chris Busbridge

I can maybe help with your first inquiry. You must be building the Special Hobby kit. I believe they have a Ca.311 in the pipeline.

This aircraft is one of many versions built by the Bergamaschi divison of Caproni as part of their 'Borea' range. It started with the Ca.308 and culminated in the Ca.314. They all share essentially the same basic construction, the main differences being powerplant and fuselage configuration.

Types include: Borea, Ca.309, Ca.310 civil, Ca.310 military, Ca.310 Idro, Ca.311, Ca.311M, Ca.312, Ca.313, Ca.313G, Ca.314.

Most of the above have appeared in kit form at some point in the past, but the Special Hobby Ca.310 kit is the best by far.

I think your interpretation of the scheme is correct, but I cannot explain the windows.
warhawk

Thank you for your opinion, Chris.
I am building the Azur model (which, as I recall, is a branch of MPM/SH company).

I made the first inquiry because the fuselage of Ca.309 looks thinner than Ca.310, but no decent plans are available to me, so I cannot confirm.
Was there a part of construction that remained unchanged (e.g. wing planform)?

Also, does the Ca.316 seaplane belong to this "family", being a modification of the Ca.310 Idro seaplane?

Regards,
Aleksandar
Chris Busbridge

My badů I get always get Azur/Azur FROMM/MPM/Special Hobby mixed up. Why can't they just stick with MPM?

I clearly missed the Ca.316 idro. To me, it looks to be based on a radial-engined Ca.313G. Broplan have done a 1/72 vac-form of this aircraft.

As far as I can tell, all these aircraft share the same flying surfaces (wings, tail plane and stabilisers).
Caproni conundrums