STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Fiat RS.14
AlexM
Pilota

Hi there,

I'm new here in this forum. I'm currently trying to create a digital 3d-model of the Fiat RS.14. Unfortunately, there is very few reference material about this nice looking plane.

I have the Ali d'Italia booklet (mini series #3), and I'm aware of the official manual of the series III plane, which can be found here:

http://www.cmpr.it/manuali.htm

One aspect of the plane that makes me wonder are the side windows and its coverings. As far as I understand, the coverings of the big rectangular windows could be slided forward. Then it seems that the rear part of the coverings could be folded away from the fuselage, while the forward part of the covering still "touched" the fusulage.

In the drawing in the Ali d'Italia booklet, the coverings are shown slided halfway forward (left view from above, right view from the side):

In the official manual, there is that picture of the right side window with the coverings also about halfway slided forward:

Allready on this poition, I wonder how it was possible to slide the covering that far forward without the path beeing hampered by the wing. If the forward part of the covering was still plane with the fuselage side, I would think that the covering would collide with the wing roots. Although, there is a triangle cut out on the forward lower corne of the covering, that cutout seems to be much to small to enable the coverings sliding that far forward without being stopped by the wing roots:

And then, the covering on this picture is only halfway slides forward. In the Ali d'Italia booklet there is a photo from the interior looking forward the fuselage, where a small part of the open right window can be seen. The window covering is not visible, so it must be slided completely forward. If I draw this position into the picture from the manual, it seems that the wings must be even more an obstacle for the window covering.
And then on the other side, when the covering were completely closed, what was with that cutout triangle?

Btw., on that picture also the flaps seem to be strange as the left and right one looks different.

In the manual, there is also this picture of the window covering, in that case slider completely forward. The covering looks different (no panel lines and no small round window), so maybe thats a difference between the series I and series III planes?

However, the same question appears: how is it possible to slide the covering that far forward without being stopped by the wing roots?

I'm curious whether someone can explain the functioning of the covering? Maybe I'm just blind Smile

Moreover, I wonder what were the differences between the three built series of the RS.14? I'm aware of different styled window coverings, a little different interior where the windows and waist guns are, and apparently different control colums in the cockpit, and maybe different radio equipment (between series I and series III planes, while I have no clue about the series II planes).

Also I wonder whether there is somewhere the part catalogue ("Catalogo Nomenclatore") of the RS.14 online?

And finally, according tho the references, the RS.14 was equipted with a "A.G.R. 90" camera. Are there somewhere pictures of that camera?

Cheers
Alex
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry I can't be too much of help here, however below, side fuselage shots of the gun doors from Enrico Calanchini's Aviation USK 1/72 FIAT C.A.M.A.S.A. RS.14 (I'm assuming the model is accurate). The gun doors appear to be tapered (not square) at the lower corners pressing up against the wing roots.

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/FIATRS14/EnricoCalanchini/FIATRS14.html

Pilota

Thanks for your answer, that's a great looking model!

When the door is tapered enough at the lower forward end, it would be possible to fully slide it forward without hitting the wing.
But then I wonder how it looks when the door is completely closed? The windows them self are square, non tapered at the forward lower side. It seems that then there would be a "triangle hole" like I tried to draw in the forth picture of my fist post, when the doors are closed. This would look strange, and the doors wouldn't make much sense at all when there's still a significant open gape in the closed position?

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any good quality photo showing the doors closed. In the Ali d'Italia book, the doors always seem to be in full or half open position.
AlexM
Pilota

Well, I was afraid the window "mystery" can't be solved, as clear pictures and reference material about the RS 14 are very rare.

Maybe someone can help me with another question about the RS 14:
What's the exact text on the rear fuselage, where the serial number is mentioned? I can not decipher it on the photos.

I once saw the following text on a color profile:

Fiat RS 14
Serie III
M.M. 35639

(just exemplary number)

Is that correct (in that case for a series III plane)? What's the text on the Aviation USK model?

Cheers
Alex
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just pm'd you Enrico's email, try contacting him - I don't have a close up to tell you what exactly is contained on the model fuselage sides.

Pilota

AlexM
Pilota

Thanks for posting this picture! Never saw this before.

By searching for more information about the topic, I came across this interesting photo:

I have a theory about the doors: Could it be, that the swinging door itself consists of two (inner and outer) parts forming a sliding door, so that one part was mounted to the hinge at front of the window, while the other part could be slided back, to close the window?

Cheers
Alex

Last edited by AlexM on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fiat RS.14