STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Fiat CR.42 (Rhodes '41)
warhawk
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Can anyone give me a definitive answer about the camouflage of CR.42 162-2 P(Rhodes 1941)? I think this is a standard Giallo Mimetico 3/ Verde Mimetico1/ Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1 sheme, but some sources claim that it could be Verde Mimetico 53192/ Verde Mimetico 2-3/ Grigio Mimetico sheme.
Also, i need to know what was the underside colour- Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1 or Alluminio?
Confused

Last edited by warhawk on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by warhawk
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is the "same" plane at Vigna, recently restored. The shades of the colors in the photo are not accurate. Undersides Grigio Mimetico.

http://www.stormomagazine.com/FiatCR42VignadiValle.html

http://www.stormomagazine.com/FiatCR42VignadiValle2.html

http://www.stormomagazine.com/FiatCR42VignadiValle3.html

But the one in Vigna has alluminio undersurfaces. Is that correct?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by warhawk
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

see Part III, the leading edge of the lower wing is GM. Struts are GM. Many CR.42s were known to have lower surfaces in Alluminio.

Thanks a lot. This was the only thing stopping me from building a model of CR.42
SuperAereo
Banned

Some think the Cr.42's of the 162 received a very thin overspray in green over their usual 3-colour Fiat camouflage, in order to render them less visible from above when flying over the sea.
warhawk

I don't think this is the case, since I found a photo which clearly shows that these Falcos had standard cammo.

The undersurfaces look to be painted Alluminio, right?
SuperAereo
Banned

The photo looks like has had its colours retouched digitally for printing purposes, IMHO. I recall a similar discussion about the same photos on an Italian forum and the most authoritative opinions were for the green overspray. Surely the undersurfaces have a sheen to them but it is difficult to say if it is Alluminio or just Grigio Mimetico reflecting the strong sunlight from the sandy terrain.
warhawk

OK, but if they were overpainted, what color was used and when did it take place - Was it done in Rhodes, or they came there already overpainted?
SuperAereo
Banned

The overpainting would have been done on the island, laying a very thin layer of green paint which let the original camo pattern show through. Which exact shade of green could have been used is anybody's guess.

If you can read Italian there is an interesting discussion here (and more colour photos of the same aircraft): http://www.150gct.it/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4367&highlight=rodi
warhawk

So, this means I can choose whether to do it with or without the green. It's still not Falco's turn to be assembled, so I have plenty of time to think 'bout it. Thanks Razz
Fiat CR.42 (Rhodes '41)