STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Re.2002 now on display!
warhawk
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Hello,

I came across some pictures of Re.2002, now restored and on display at Vigna di Valle museum.
Not sure about the color of the spinner, but nevertheless a great opportunity to see one of my favourite WWII machines in person one day. Very Happy

More pics HERE

This is how it looked a while ago

Enjoy!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by warhawk
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, now that's just too cool! Thanks for posting these photos Alex Smile

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea

You will notice that the lower door of the UC is a fake and not attached properly. Anyway kudos to the restoration team! Very Happy
mistermaquette
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Comandante di Gruppo

pardon is a complete restoration or a replica, it seems a restoration, did not know that there was alive a Re 2002.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Editor
JeffZ
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Its great to see interest in these projects, a real treat for aviation enthusiasts.
warhawk

D520 wrote:
You will notice that the lower door of the UC is a fake and not attached properly. Anyway kudos to the restoration team! Very Happy

While were at it - to my eyes, the shape of the cowling also looks a bit off...
But not enough to lessen the hype! Cool
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by warhawk
Arditi1961
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

The cowling looks ok, what bothers me is the S.79 in the background that looks so wrong wrt to its paint job. Vigna/GAVS needs to get artists that are skilled in the use of the air brushes. And while they're at it they should ask for the CR.42 at hendon returned, the paint job is disgraceful and apparently it was re-painted by kids as a summer project - unbelievable.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree, they should get Jean to paint both planes!

Support Our Advertisers!
Vincent Biondi

Great photos! Love the blue spinner!
Also, as Vince Tassone can attest to, I am a stickler for historical accuracy.
Since this aircraft was dedicated to Giuseppe Cenni, why did they not use the Regia Aeronautica Colours and markings instead of the Co-Belligerant?
After all, he died fighting for the Regia Aeronautica.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good point. I think we know the answer to your question however, but to do a restoration inaccurately for the sake of political correctness I think is taking a bit far. They must be worried about the increase in right-wing views. Although the AMI was in attendance I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the choice of markings. Good choice of subject though with Giuseppe Cenni. I wonder if GAVS did the restoration or if they're still around.

Support Our Advertisers!
Vincent Biondi

I have been to the museum and there are a few airplanes with the RA colours and markings. If they are trying to be politically correct, they definitely have the wrong aircraft for Cenni.
So, if they wanted the Co-Belligerent scheme, then they should have used a different Squadriglia and not call this aircraft Cenni's, because it wasn't.

The restoration group should have used the following one instead. This way, they would have their Co-Belligerent scheme on the 238 Sq., not the 239, because Cenni never flew with Co-Bel AF.
Attached is a picture of the correct one.
Any thoughts?
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d5/06/45/d50645b55bc073b9e9c621a3c8b455b1.jpg
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well I hope the mistake was intentional, I would hate to learn they weren't aware that Cenni flew in RA colors only. You should email Vigna and let them know the mistake. Good spot!

Support Our Advertisers!
Vincent Biondi

I suspect that GAVS did not do the restoration, but some other group. The people at GAVS are very precise and professional, I don't think that they would have made the error.
Maybe, aviation experts like Gregory Alegi or Maurizio Di Terlizi can shed some light in this.
Re.2002 now on display!