STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love that plane. That's a new mold from Airfix, they've been redoing allot of their kits for a few years now and they're doing a good job of it too.

Generale di Divisone Aerea

Editor wrote:
I love that plane. That's a new mold from Airfix, they've been redoing allot of their kits for a few years now and they're doing a good job of it too.

Of the Old Time Plastic-Injection Scale Model-Makers they and Italeri have been consistent with new tooling along with issuing new subjects. Revell Germany far as I know is all that's left of this once great USA enterprise, haven't seen anything new from them in quite awhile, understand they're just hanging on.

Hard for me to comprehend 50 years ago was the Golden Age Of Plastic-Injection Scale Model Production in terms of sheer volume of manufactured kits never mind hundreds, nay thousands, of new scale kit subject releases lay in the future. I'd argue the Platinum Age Of Scale Model Kit Releases began in the mid 1990s and is still ongoing insofar as what the Central & Eastern European "limited run" kit makers have made available, for Regia Aeronautica Italia/Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana (RAI/ANR) huggers like us its after 2000 save the earlier Italeri, Delta2, SUPERMODEL et. al. releases.

What troubles me aside from enamel paints & thinners getting harder to find & buy is third-party water decal availability. SKY & Tauro in particular haven't issued anything of consequence in the way of new RAI/ANR offerings in years, WWII French aircraft subject decal availability also is worrisome, do want to build a few Battle Of France subjects before I retire from model kit building, already got Model Master enamels to do so.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree, Italeri and Airfix are the only two old-time plastic model manufactures that are active, Italeri's recent release of the 1/32 F.104 and 1/32 Mirage III are considered best in class. Back in the 70s Italeri would compete with Tamiya in terms of quality, and there were no better examples than Italeri's 1/35 M13/14 and Semovente kits which still stand the test today in terms of quality and accuracy and are far better than the Tamiya kits. My first kits were Revell and Monograms.

In general kit sales are declining, there's a number of reasons for that including kids now play video games, kits are too expensive for most kids and the limited run multimedia kits are way too complex for kids to build.

I'm seeing the same thing wrt to paints ie., harder and harder to get. In regard to decals, that market too has shrunk as you would expect with a declining kit market. The level of detail and accuracy demanded by today's modelers drive time and costs way up - you can ask Stefano how much work went to developing Stormo decal sheets especially 48007 and 48008. As a matter of fact, I talked to Jean this year about doing a sheet(s) for the Battle of France, it would have included a mix of RA/RAF/Luftwaffe and French aircraft in a three part release and he felt there wasn't a market for it and he had no interest! I disagreed with jean and felt there was pent up demand for WWII French subjects, but I couldn't nudge him and I wasn't prepared to do that subject on my own.

Editor wrote:
I agree, Italeri and Airfix are the only two old-time plastic model manufactures that are active, Italeri's recent release of the 1/32 F.104 and 1/32 Mirage III are considered best in class. Back in the 70s Italeri would compete with Tamiya in terms of quality, and there were no better examples than Italeri's 1/35 M13/14 and Semovente kits which still stand the test today in terms of quality and accuracy and are far better than the Tamiya kits. My first kits were Revell and Monograms.

In general kit sales are declining, there's a number of reasons for that including kids now play video games, kits are too expensive for most kids and the limited run multimedia kits are way too complex for kids to build.

I'm seeing the same thing wrt to paints ie., harder and harder to get. In regard to decals, that market too has shrunk as you would expect with a declining kit market. The level of detail and accuracy demanded by today's modelers drive time and costs way up - you can ask Stefano how much work went to developing Stormo decal sheets especially 48007 and 48008. As a matter of fact, I talked to Jean this year about doing a sheet(s) for the Battle of France, it would have included a mix of RA/RAF/Luftwaffe and French aircraft in a three part release and he felt there wasn't a market for it and he had no interest! I disagreed with jean and felt there was pent up demand for WWII French subjects, but I couldn't nudge him and I wasn't prepared to do that subject on my own.

Try again to convince Jean even a 1/72 "non-standard technology" inkjet-printed sheet or two of important Battle Of France Armée de l'Air, Luftwaffe, RAF, Regia Aeronautica Italia (RA) fighter & bomber subjects could still sell. I have several 1970s 1/72 ETRL-ESCI Armée de l'Air sheets though doubt they're usable, could use them as "research material" to make new sheets otherwise will salvage them for future French aircraft model builds, not bought any kits yet though got paints for them.

When comes time for me to "retire" from building RA/Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana models got whole decal sheets well as parts thereof to dispose of some of which can do so now. I'll give them away gratis provided will be paid for packaging & mailing, will post a "Free To Good Home" thread when comes time.
SEM Model IMAM Ro.58 Build Progress Report No.1
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Mainwings, Fuselage Halves & Flight Crew Interior Parts separated from resin sprues, trimmed & sanded today December 20th.

- > Fuselage Cannon Ports drilled out.

- > Painting Mainwings, Fuselage Halves & Flight Crew Interior Parts Humbrol 78 Matt Cockpit Green + Testors Flat White shading replicating Verde Anticorrosione tomorrow.

Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Retired In Kalifornia wrote:

Try again to convince Jean even a 1/72 "non-standard technology" inkjet-printed sheet or two of important Battle Of France Armée de l'Air, Luftwaffe,

I tried 2 times before that : ) I started on a 1/72 "non-standard technology" printed sheet for a different subject, the problem with this approach is that text/stenciling is almost completely lost in this scale. Printing with Cartograf/Microscale (the two printers I use) you can still read stencils, albeit with a magnifying glass - with a inkjet/laser printer all you get is a blob. The printers Cartograf/Microscale use are expensive, affordable (only makes sense) by a company that does mass printing. There was a cool decal printer that was fairly affordable the Alps printer, Mike Grant uses one, however the company has long gone out of business and it too was pretty expensive. You'll find the odd one on ebay but good luck finding parts for it. The reason Stormo sells so many decals (3000+ just from the site) is because of the quality of decals.

Editor wrote:
Retired In Kalifornia wrote:

Try again to convince Jean even a 1/72 "non-standard technology" inkjet-printed sheet or two of important Battle Of France Armée de l'Air, Luftwaffe,

I tried 2 times before that : ) I started on a 1/72 "non-standard technology" printed sheet for a different subject, the problem with this approach is that text/stenciling is almost completely lost in this scale. Printing with Cartograf/Microscale (the two printers I use) you can still read stencils, albeit with a magnifying glass - with a inkjet/laser printer all you get is a blob. The printers Cartograf/Microscale use are expensive, affordable (only makes sense) by a company that does mass printing. There was a cool decal printer that was fairly affordable the Alps printer, Mike Grant uses one, however the company has long gone out of business and it too was pretty expensive. You'll find the odd one on ebay but good luck finding parts for it. The reason Stormo sells so many decals (3000+ just from the site) is because of the quality of decals.

I'd written elsewhere about there being next to no aftermarket decals of Italian air force subjects during the 1960s save the c.1966-67 HIS AIR DEC FIAT CR.42 sheet till the early 1970s Italaerei, Superscale & ETRL-ESCI sheets came out the latter rip-offs of Profile Publications glossies, wouldn't had matter given the relative handful of modeling subjects back then never mind enough research info in print to build kits from particularly with respect to camouflage colors. For me am glad I'd "got in the tent" in time whilst SKY, Tauro et. al. were still producing 1/72 scale Italian air force sheets, other that what y'all at STORMO occasionally come out with not seen anything new in many moons never mind sheet reissues.
SEM Model IMAM Ro.58 Build Progress Report No.2
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Fuselage Halves & Flight Crew Interior Parts, Mainwing Main Landing Gear Wheel Well & Door Interiors spray painted Humbrol 78 Matt Cockpit Green + Testors Flag White shading enamels replicating Verde Anticorrosione today December 21st.

- > Crew Seats & Main Landing Gear Oleo Parts spray painted Testors Flat Aluminum enamels today also.

- > Crew Seats & other Cockpit Interior parts detail painted tomorrow December 22nd Fuselage Parts Assembly hopefully tomorrow as well.
SEM Model IMAM Ro.58 Build Progress Report No.3
Retired In Kalifornia

- > All Fuselage Interior Parts detail painted, glued on Crew Interior Frame Assembly, latter glued on Port Fuselage Halve today December 22nd.

> Rear Gunner/Radio Operator Seat Belt Straps fabricated from strips of Scotch Magic Mending Tape overpainted with Humbrol 29 Matt Dark Earth enamel paint cut ends painted Testors Flat Aluminum enamel paint then glued on seat.

- > Fuselage Halves then were glued together, much seam puttying required, assembly set aside to dry harden till Monday Christmas Eve - Christmas Day.

RIK's "Short" 1/72 Kit Wish List For Santa
Retired In Kalifornia

- > SEM Model to reissue their CANT Z.506C resin conversion

- > ANYBODY's CANT Z.1018

- > ANYBODY's Caproni 101 & 133

- > Cucaracha Model IMAM Ro.41 resin

- > KPL Model (USA) Savoia Marchetti 91 & 92 vacuforms

- > SOMEBODY to market parts to convert the Cunarmodel Macchi C.207 to a C.206
SEM Model IMAM Ro.58 Build Progress Report No.4
Retired In Kalifornia

- > Fuselage smooth sanded during Christmas Day.

- > Mainwings & Tailplane Cone glued in placed, seams puttied Christmas Day as well.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good Job, Phillippe built a nice one. Merry Christmas Richard and take a break !

Editor wrote:
Good Job, Phillippe built a nice one. Merry Christmas Richard and take a break !

Merry Back & Happy 2019 Wink My Ro.58 won't be up to Phillippe's standards but should compare well with my other SEM Model builds to date, want to get it done by the 10th but likely will be some days before.

Whilst at my sisters in the Bay Area last Sunday collected several family photos along with Mom's & Dad's papers hadn't collected in 2015 after they'd passed on, need to sort & index them, store away whilst writing model build articles for STORMO after am done with the Ro.58, want to commence the LF Models Macchi C.200bis & C.201 builds c. 20th.

On the 4th will be in Sacramento, likely will go to Tap Plastics on Auburn Blvd to have them fabricate another display case ala that for the SUPERMODEL Macchi C.202 "specials" & SEM Model recent builds, nice sized for "parking" most if not all the single-engine models have & yet to build over Winter 2018-2019.
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you build your 58 OOB you'll get something closer to Jean's, Phillippe changed the wheels and prop hubs, cut out the ailerons and flaps and filled in wings. I need to build a few cases too Smile

Editor wrote:
If you build your 58 OOB you'll get something closer to Jean's, Phillippe changed the wheels and prop hubs, cut out the ailerons and flaps and filled in wings. I need to build a few cases too Smile

Philippe Martin's included copious interior detail, don't have spare parts to make such, don't want to cut-out flaps, don't have tools to do that, must settle for competently making the model "with bearskins & bone knives" as Mr. Spock flippantly said to Edith Keeler in "The City On The Edge Of Forever" first aired on NBC-TV April 6, 1967 arguably the best production of the entire Star Trek franchise to date "for atmosphere" if nothing else.
RIK's 1/72 Scale Italian Aircraft Model Collection