STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic
sm 79 I serie in WWII
CARLO
Pilota

I have a 1/72 Italeri SM 79 I serie to build, Spain war period basically. Does anyone know if this Serie I was somehow used by the Regia Aeronautica in the IIWW as torpedo bombers?? If yes, is there any source one can supply that shows squadrons, camo schemes and so on ?? Thanks a lot to everybody. Carlo
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try Stefano Lazzaro (Stefano) on this forum.

Generale di Brigata Aerea

No image of a I serie S.79 as torpedo-bomber is known. I'm not sure they had been used even as bombers, in WWII. First S.79s modified to test the torpedo role, in 1939, were MMs 21128 and 21129, SIAI III serie. The first operative aircraft, which had been assigned to Reparto Speciale Aerosiluranti (later 278^ Squadriglia) were MMs 22553, 22555, 22556, 22557, 22558 and 22565, all brand-new XVI serie SIAI-built aircraft.
However, MM list show that at least one aircraft of I serie, MM 20683, had been modified to torpedo-bomber. But it was a overhauled aircraft, updated to the following series standard, and so was exteriorly undistinguishable by them. Wink

Stefano
sm 79 I serie in WWII
CARLO
Pilota

Thank you very much Stefano, I greatly appreciate your promptness and accuracy,you are an expert and it shows!! thanks again
emanuele
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Hi stefano,
where can I find the information about the transformation in torpedo of the MM 20683?

BR

Emanuele

Stefano wrote:
No image of a I serie S.79 as torpedo-bomber is known. I'm not sure they had been used even as bombers, in WWII. First S.79s modified to test the torpedo role, in 1939, were MMs 21128 and 21129, SIAI III serie. The first operative aircraft, which had been assigned to Reparto Speciale Aerosiluranti (later 278^ Squadriglia) were MMs 22553, 22555, 22556, 22557, 22558 and 22565, all brand-new XVI serie SIAI-built aircraft.
However, MM list show that at least one aircraft of I serie, MM 20683, had been modified to torpedo-bomber. But it was a overhauled aircraft, updated to the following series standard, and so was exteriorly undistinguishable by them. Wink

Stefano
Stefano

emanuele wrote:
where can I find the information about the transformation in torpedo of the MM 20683?

The info is in a list of torpedo-bombers S.79s under repair at 14 June 1943. It's in Cesare Gori's book "Il Savoia Marchetti S.M.79, produzione-evoluzione tecnica-versioni" USSMA, Rome, 1994.
The infos on MM 20683 say it had AR126 engines with PWO.2 propellers, no power boosters (etilizzatori), exhaust tubes were of the parafiamma type, it had an auxiliary fuel tank of 380 liters in the bomb bay, the full equipment of machine guns, only the left-side torpedo rack, it had personnel armour plates, radio receiver -AR.8- and transmitter -A.350/1-. It was under repair at the SRAM of Pistoia.
That's all I know on it, but I hope it's of some help for you.
Stefano
emanuele
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Thank You very much Stefano.
sm 79 I serie in WWII