Youtube film of Littorio

Discuss and review reference material relating to WWII, the Inter-War Period and WWI. Includes book and author reviews
pbhawkin
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Youtube film of Littorio

Post by pbhawkin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi all here is a 8 minute film of the Littorio and her Ro.43 planes as well as her in action.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-bKz3-Z ... re=related

I can say that the pics of the floatplanes catapalting off at 2:58 on ARE from the Littorio (as by their recognition numbers) and that it was shot prior to 12 June 1940 (well that segment anyway) as the tails have the old Tricolour (Red, White, Green) markings that was felt to be too close to the French colours after Italy declared war on that country and so the order to change to the White cross of Savoy. If you freeze frame it at 3:02 you see 912 (catapalting off with the old tricolor) and 913's tail with the new Cross of Savoy!! So they were right in the middle of repainting their planes.
Interestingly, the next vision is of a 'White' (but probably Silver ) Ro.43 No. 813 catapalting off a cruiser and it's top wing is painted White with Red 'anti-camouflage' stripes that were used from Oct 1938 to June 1940.
What cruiser would it be?
Also, What battle are we looking at? I would of said against a convoy run to Malta but the size of the water splashes indicate that there must of been at least a heavy cruiser returning fire.
Any comments?
regards
Peter H
Mudgee, Australia
www.petersplanes.com

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by Vincent Biondi » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:31 pm

My Guess is the summer of 1942, in one of the Malta Convoy battles.
If you look closely in the video, around the 3:12 minute to 3:17 minute mark, you will see the Radar antenna moving. The Regia Marina installed Radar in early 1942, therefore my guess is the summer of 1942.
Vince.