New Osprey Book: Fiat CR42 Aces of WW2

Post topics relating to the Regia Aeronautica, OOB, planning, strategy, tactics, strategic bombing, personalites (e.g., Italo Balbo, Giulio Douhet)
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

New Osprey Book: Fiat CR42 Aces of WW2

Post by Vincent Biondi » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Hello All,
I was just surfing as usual, on any new things about the RA and low and behold, I found out that Hakan Guvstasson and Lodvigo Slongo, have written a book on CR42 Aces!
Here is he link:
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/disp ... 1846034275
I am always on Hakan's web site and am sure that he and Lodvigo did a very good job!
Well, Vince, looks like someone else beat us to it.
Vincent.

Capitano
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Capitano » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Is there a review of it some where? I couldn't find one. 'Cuz some times these 'Aces' series are more words than pics and profiles.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:47 pm

Very interesting! The only thing I would comment at this time is that Osprey should change the cover to a CR.42. The cover depicts a CR.32 in combat with I.15s over Spain.

The Stormo printing press will come on line at some point, the question is as always ... time :)! We have hundreds of titles to write about.

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:11 am

Hi Vince,
I agree with you.
Why would the authors use a scene from the Spanish Civil war.
Anyway, I am going to order one from Amazon, unless you can get the book.
A point of interest, you might want to contact Hakan at:
surfcity @dalnet.se
Ask him why he used a C32 vs a I.15 over Spain.
Happy New Year,
Vincent.

Ludovico Slongo
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by Ludovico Slongo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Many thanks to all.
In fact we don't know exactly when the book will be published and the cover artwork is -as far as I know- still under preparation. Don't know either where did Osprey find the image they used on Amazon.com, for sure it will not be the cover of the book.
We've done our best and we hope not to disappoint you. However we are not much geared up with things like camouflage and insignas, we trust Richard Caruana was able to produce accurate and agreable clour profiles on the subject.
Ciao to all
Ludovico
or if you prefer Lodvigo :wink:

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:48 pm

Also old Osprey's Italians Aces of WWII had been publicized with a Spanish War scene, then was published with a more appropriate picture showing Reiner's MC.202.
About the Authors, I personally know them both (by the way Ludovico lives in my town) and I can guarantee this book will be a high quality work, as I had the opportunity, courtesy of them, to read the text of their "Desert Prelude", hopefully to be published soon by Mushroom.
Richard J. Caruana has no need to be presented!

Stefano

P.S. Ciao Ludovico, buon lavoro e Buone Feste a te e famiglia! :D

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Ciao Ludovico,
Thank you for your post. I think you might find this interesting, Vincent (Vince) and I had begun work on exactly this book, “Fiat CR.42 Aces of World War 2”, although not for Osprey but for a Stormo Press instead. Anyway about two years ago as I mentioned we had sketched-out a draft for the book. I thought such a book was a good idea, although Vince had proposed the idea. Because of my travel and schedule we never did get beyond the draft stage. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your new book and to answer Vince's question I will stock-up on this book as I expect it to be a Best Seller – it will likely sell out.

Stefano,
There appears to be very good water in Padua! :)

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:06 pm

Always good to have more references. So then, is the Osprey #34 Italian Aces of WWII just not up to snuff any more. I previewed the book at Osprey and for what they show, it seems to be fairly comprehensive. In any event, it will be good to have another book on the subject written by a different author.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:27 pm

If you examine Osprey's series of the Aces, you'll find titles for squadrons, planes, areas of operation e.g., Bf.109 Aces of North Africa and the Mediterranean, Bf.109 Aces of the Eastern front, Bf.109 aces of JG56 etc. There's titles for every Spit that ever existed :) Most of these titles only list 3-5 aces in the entire book and then list another 6-10 pilots who simply shot down a plane in a particular theatre, squadron or group. I think this new title acknowledges a growing interest in Italian WWII aviation. Fiat CR.42 Aces will likely provide a very detailed description of the lesser know pilots/aces that flew the CR.42 that is otherwise missing in the excellent #34 by Massimello and Apostolo - now OOP/Sold Out.

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:46 am

Hello All,
I think the ball is finally rolling, when it comes to Italian Aces and Aircraft of WW2!
The next book should be on SM79 torpedo Bomber Aces and I would also like to see a seperate book on Macchi 200/202/205 Aces.
Any thoughts.
Vincent.

Ludovico Slongo

Post by Ludovico Slongo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:37 am

Dear Vince and Vincent,
I hope you wil not stop your project on CR 42 aces of W.W. II. just because Hakan and me had written something similar.
Personally I'm convinced that there are too few studies on Regia Aeronautica (in particular in English language) and that any new one is worth having. If -as you correctly pointed out- there are titles for every Spit that ever existed and many more for every Messerschmitt :wink: I don't see the reason for not having two or three titles on an important machine as was the CR 42. For sure when the moment will come, I'll go for your book.
BTW I know that Italian Aces by Massimello and Apostolo sold very well but in my opinion it is absolutely not out of print. Are you sure it is not possible to find it anywhere ? However it is a book very different from our and contains completely different pieces of information.
To conclude I've seen also that Osprey will print a book on Italian aces of the first world war by the top expert Paolo Varriale. Let's hope this will help to increase the general interest on Italian aviation.
Happy new year to all.

Ludovico

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:20 am

Ciao Ludovico, I certainly agree there isn't enough written about the RA in the english speaking world and I agree the Cr.42 was an important aircraft and a good one also - something that's often not mentioned about this great plane. Regarding Massimello's book, it was printed in 2000 and I'm pretty sure you can't find any copies here in NA, at least not from any of the distributors, however if you know that Osprey have copies remaining I would be delighted to clear their inventory :)! Please contact me off line with any information to get copies of that title. Its interesting to know Osprey are working on WWI Italian aces! I see Osprey plan to spoil us :)

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:00 pm

Not only should there be more books but they should be more affordable, too. For instance, I just purchased the new ADI #28 SAIA S.79 book that retails near $60 U.S. A great book but pricey. I can't afford too many of those, ya' know what I mean?

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi Capitano,
There is a great aviation book store in Toronto called Aviation World.
They sell the Ali D'Italia series for way cheaper and you will also save on the exchange rate.
Check ou their web site.
Vincent.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:25 pm

Vincent Biondi wrote:Hi Capitano,
There is a great aviation book store in Toronto called Aviation World.
They sell the Ali D'Italia series for way cheaper and you will also save on the exchange rate.
Check ou their web site.
Vincent.
Thank you for the 411. I will check it out.