"Vac Macchi"

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
GAJouette
Generale di Divisone Aerea

"Vac Macchi"

Post by GAJouette » Fri May 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Fellows,
I thought I'd post a few photos of my recently restarted vacuform project of ID Models Macchi C.202 in 1/32 scale.This will be an inprogress thread I hope you all will enjoy.As always any and all commits are appreciated.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

The kit itself is very basic with no details.

The easy part is done with cutting from the sheet and the sanding.

The first tape up to see how she looks.

Opened up the cowling vents ths cockpit.

I have removed the molded in dust filter and supercharger intake to be replaced with one from the spares box.Today I've begun scratchbuilding the interior.More photos to follow as soon as I've got enough to show.

stefanuccio
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by stefanuccio » Fri May 29, 2009 4:43 pm

hallo gajouette
usually i am not very impressed by vacuformed kits but this one really looks nice and the parts seem of excellent quality in the 1/32 scale this kit will be great
i will wait to see more on this macchiciao stefano

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat May 30, 2009 6:05 pm

Nice work Gregory! Very interesting build, keep us plugged into your progress!

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Sat May 30, 2009 10:12 pm

So we have two vac builds on at the same time? Sweet.

dylan the rabbit
Pilota

Post by dylan the rabbit » Sun May 31, 2009 8:17 am

No pressure on me then... :D

GAJouette

Post by GAJouette » Sun May 31, 2009 1:35 pm

dylan the rabbit wrote:No pressure on me then... :D
LOL None intended Nick.

GAJouette

"The Vac Macchi Saga Continues"

Post by GAJouette » Sun May 31, 2009 3:52 pm

Here's the latest update for you on my vacuform Macchi C.202 project. In these first series of photos I've stuffed the interior spaces that will require modification with Tamiya Epoxy Putty.This severs as a reenforcement for areas needing attention.Luckily the fusealge halves are good in their profile,but do require some reshaping of the Macchi hump as well as elimination of the various scoops and vent around the nose.
The preliminary reshaping of the hump,not complete at this point. The final reshaping will be done once the fuselage halves are joined.

The scratch built interior details are nearly complete lacking only a little more detail to be added then painted.

While in the scratch building mode I have begun fabricating some of the exterior items to replace the supplied parts which are completely incorrect.Namely starting with the radiator housing and the radiator itself.The supplied oil cooler housing will also be replaced at a later date.

That's all for today,I'll update you again sometime next week hopefully.Thanks for following this thread and I hope you enjoy.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Last edited by GAJouette on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:43 am

What in your estimation is the amount of extra prep work needed on this vac kit over an injection molded kit? Twice as much work? Less? Can't wait to see some paint!

Paul

GAJouette

Post by GAJouette » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:08 am

Paul,
I'd say the prep work alone is double that of an injection molded kit.The cutting part is quick but the sanding process takes a lot of time regardless of what scale you're working in. Most vacuform kits require a lot of scratch building as well.With my Macchi project the time consumed with scratch building and detailing not to mention correcting the kit will easily double the time involved in the sanding process if not triple. The IDM kit is basically just the bare shapes much more work is require to build a even decent model. Time consuming,yes , but very rewarding once completed.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:12 am

You've done a great job scratch building the interior cockpit and radiator! That is not easy to do.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:58 pm

It does seem like there is a need to add a bunch of bits and pieces to get it up to snuff.

GAJouette

"The Vac Macchi Saga Continues Part 3"

Post by GAJouette » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Afternoon All,
I been making some progress,although small in the big picture of things.I guess you could say it's consuming much time and effort without much to show for it .But slowly but surely it's getting there.Anyway on with the update.

This first photo is of how I have dealt with closing off of the cowling vent to prevent see-thru.

The cowling vents are closed using small strips of plastic card stock.The second photo is of the results.This certainly was the quickest and easiest part of this weeks progress.

A liitle more scratch building,this time the under nose oil cooler and the instrument panel

GAJouette

"The Vac Macchi Saga Continues Part 3.5"

Post by GAJouette » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Continuing with the update.The series of photos show the most time consuming work of the entire project to date as I have begun on the internal structure of the wings.This is to serve a duel purpose in allowing me to complete the wheel bays/engine bay and reinforce the wing itself.One of the the draw backs in vacuform models is the lack of strength in the wing after completion.No reinforcement means drooping or bowing of your wings over time.
This is the partial main spar which will form the rear structure of the wheel bays,along with the engine bay.

The reinforcement of the internal wing.
The same viewed from the underside.
The front piece to reinforce the wing to fuselage join and close off the engine bay.
The final for today the beginning of the engine bay details.

I hope you have enjoyed todays update.As always any and all commits are welcomed and much appreciated.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

D520

Post by D520 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:20 am

Gregory, life was not meant to be easy! And you prove it! Congratulations for such an ambitious project! Regards, jean;

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:56 am

Wow the detail is great. Great job so far!